You got 3 rai farmland?

Tagged

12 hours ago, eddie61 said:

Would avocados grow there? Seems that this crop could do well in isan

As far as I know, not all avocados grow well at this altitude (Isan). 

I'm currently growing 4 different cultivars here in Isan but it's still too early to say which one does well here. 

16 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

If you want a small farm in Thailand, you have to start with a large farm that is family run. Than just wait a few years. 

First of all, it is not my farm, but my gf land, where her parents is going to take care of the trees, and maybe make sure so nobody steel the mushroom, water, and other things. It is not a farm with houses on it, but just a village farmland area. However, the village is growing, and there is starting to be houses around close by, so I guess it is just matter of time before someone buy up the smaller parsells, and make a farm out of it! 

Anyway, the question is, what would benefit the trees growing together, and what should be planted first? Thats my question!

Once again, it is not ment to be season income from it, but rather a placement of a small investment for my gf future. 

I aslo like to look at it as my green investment for my bad guilt of having such a good time. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 9:28 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Yawn.

Give it a rest will ya.

In 15 years the only person who has worked/driven a tractor on our 64 rai (approx 25 acres) is, wait for it... me.

I think the heads up notes are appropriate for advising a newbie.  Of course you can get away with it, but in fact it is illegal.  You can jump the border and live for years, you can drive drunk without a license or insurance, you can get away with a lot of things, until something happens and you get busted and then you're screwed. I'm a calculated risk taker, but I don't advise anyone else to be. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:28 AM, drtreelove said:

I think the heads up notes are appropriate for advising a newbie.  Of course you can get away with it, but in fact it is illegal.  You can jump the border and live for years, you can drive drunk without a license or insurance, you can get away with a lot of things, until something happens and you get busted and then you're screwed. I'm a calculated risk taker, but I don't advise anyone else to be. 

Im well awere of Thailand and thai rules, and how they practice them. 

Working on own house and farmland, have as far as I know, never been a problem, unless you have problems with someone in the village from before. So, no surprises I know of. 

But it is good to inform everyone what the rules is of course, so we all can make our own decissions based of what we know. 

Surprise, we have been talking to different people in the village, about planting trees, and now we know why the land is so cheep, or why we got it cheep. Paperwork and everything is as good it can be, but we are the land next to the national park. Thats why everyone say, food production is good there, but we should not plant any trees. 

Anyone with experience about that from before? 

And if it is to good to be trye, it is likely it is. 

Avocados as well but you need at least two trees as they sex themselves into male and female for pollination.

Edit: as above, I'd only read page 1.

Good luck- I am envious of you 3 or 4 Rai is what I would like but I prefer the single life. It would be nice to be able to buy land without any strings attached!

Edited by Psimbo

On 1/30/2019 at 7:36 AM, Tagged said:

We will plant hardwood first of all, and then the family can plant what goes good together with the hard wood. The land investment was far underpriced, and the rest of the family have connecting land, and nearby so they are farmers with green hands. They would know what they want, but as every other place I have been to, is when  neighbour start with something new the rest of the village do the same, so i said no Tamurin. 

bore hole with quality pipes, slurry, and pump 50 000,- ?

Wather tanks 5m3 10 000,-?

Bungalow 40 000?

Saplings? 

How long before you can cut and sell the hardwood (assuming your intention is to cut and sell)?

Is there any hint that into the future there could be negative laws about cutting the trees?

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

How long before you can cut and sell the hardwood (assuming your intention is to cut and sell)?

Is there any hint that into the future there could be negative laws about cutting the trees?

The land price with healthy trees will increase year by year until they are old enough to be harvested. 20 - 35 40 years. Depends on the soil, water, etc. 

Edited by Hummin

Seems like hardwood is out of question, since the high lords, have proved their power to steel land close to the Nationalpark before with wood. It have nothing to do with illegal or not, just the legality of who owns the land. 

So, what should we plant with in mind the temperature will rise the next decade or two? We should have penty of water, so that should not be an issue I think. 

• Like 1

Seems like hardwood is out of question, since the high lords, have proved their power to steel land close to the Nationalpark before with wood. It have nothing to do with illegal or not, just the legality of who owns the land. 

So, what should we plant with in mind the temperature will rise the next decade or two? We should have penty of water, so that should not be an issue I think. 
Have you thought about Leucaena (Kratin) trees as biomass or animal feed.
Though it makes just sense if you have some contractor that buys your stuff.

12 hours ago, CLW said:

Have you thought about Leucaena (Kratin) trees as biomass or animal feed.
Though it makes just sense if you have some contractor that buys your stuff.

We arrived yesterday, and inspected the land. Nice piece of land close to 4 rai, and potatos seems to be what they plant that area mostly, but lately more of the plot owners have invested in Tamarind. 

We will go to ampur today, and discuss with them what we can do there. Im tired of all people who say what you can do, should do, and not to do, and they really do not know what they talk about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinniekintana said:

I stopped reading after...'family will take care of the land' ????

Then you lost the whole point with the tread. 

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

There are thousands of expats tending their wife's farms. "good money in crabs"????

And you to, since Im fully aware of my limits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

There are thousands of expats tending their wife's farms. "good money in crabs"????

Yes my wife  inherited the family rubber tree farm about 2 years ago ... it's managed well "150 Rai" ( i keep my mouth shut) it's  ok but it's becoming a burden for us ,

always something going wrong when we are on holidays.

Yeh have a look at the kings plan land modules, they are really interesting for small hobby farmers ... 1/2 acre for fish would be interesting......corn, bananas... depends how fit you are too....or just trying to be self sufficient.

• Like 1

Just got the land prepared for planting hardwood, fruit, and gras. But Im not happy since I would like to use a land roller to, but there is nowhere to find. 

Anyone know if there are available in thailand in a size for an atv or simular wehicle. Some grass rollers size? 

@IsaanAussie

Thank you for your answer. We did the discharrow and rototiller, but still very lumpy and not hwo I would like to leave it until the rainseason start. I would do it again and then fertilize the land. Any suggestions after they had thai potato there? What to do. Any place we can get examinated the soil here in Thailand? 

Ph we will check, and Im trying to figure out if we can use a mix of chicken shit and buffalo or any other shit? 

They say here the chicken shit is no good, only use buffalo shit, and then how much buffalo shit for a rai? 

Im sure many others have asked the same question, but do not find the treads now. 

The only rollers I have seen, are home make ones, 40gallon oil drum filled with concrete, with a 2 inch bar giong though, to mount a draw bar, but a roller of this type is the last thing you need ,it will compact the land and prvent draniage ,and if the land was already a rice field it would just add to the drainage problem, what you need ,but they are not avallable in Thailnad is a Cambridge / ring roller .

As IA said organic matter is the bigest problem with Thai soil or rather lack of it, you could as soon as any rain comes to put in a crop of Mung Beans, a legume crop grow them for say 2 months then get your disc harrow and work the mung beans in the land, a good green manure 

As for apping muck on land, when I was in the uk it was 10 ton /arca, but this was wet manuar, with a lot of straw in most muck in Thailnd is dry ,so 10ton/rie in the uk would be 4ton/rie, as i said with it being dry about 1 1/2 ton /rie would be about right, which is what we put on our Nappier grass ,can you find that amount of muck in your part of Issan .

Chicken muck is not that bad, has a high percent of urea lot of rice husks  in it , does not last as long as cattal manuar, around here it is all apped to sugar cane fields after cutting, and to some fields before planting .

A few years ago my neiboure was growing some cucumbers, he whanted some chicken muck, I went halves with a load, no weight to it seemed to go nowhere ,compaired to cow manuar, I would say to do any good you would need at least 1 1/2 ton/rie .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...