List of Unforseen events that could result in an invalid retirement extension

On 2/1/2019 at 12:53 AM, Khaeng Mak said:

1. Road accident. This is the huge elephant in the room. 

2. Sudden illness such as heart attack

3. Account robbed by crooked bank staff or atm skimmers

4. Legal fees, because of 1. above or other circumstances including business disputes

5. Flash crash or other correction in currencies pair relative to the Baht (for those of us who use FCD account balances for our extensions)

6. Victim of violence and subsequent medical bills

7. Home burglary or vehicle theft

8. Extortion

9. Thai partner's family's buffalo suddenly gets sick and needs 'special care'

10. Due to new coup d'etat, unrest, flooding, etc., it is impossible to transfer or withdraw any funds from/to Thailand bank account as banks shut, funds frozen, or both

11. Thai wife finds out about mia noi and empties out joint bank account

12. New ruler of Thailand declares new currency, and only bank balances of up to 100,000 baht will be considered to be exchanged into new money, with the remainder being declared 'void', or being confiscated

13. Recession, civil unrest, or both occur, with the value of the baht plunging to 80 for the dollar, followed by hyperinflation

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

9. Thai partner's family's buffalo suddenly gets sick and needs 'special care'

10. Due to new coup d'etat, unrest, flooding, etc., it is impossible to transfer or withdraw any funds from/to Thailand bank account as banks shut, funds frozen, or both

11. Thai wife finds out about mia noi and empties out joint bank account

12. New ruler of Thailand declares new currency, and only bank balances of up to 100,000 baht will be considered to be exchanged into new money, with the remainder being declared 'void', or being confiscated

13. Recession, civil unrest, or both occur, with the value of the baht plunging to 80 for the dollar, followed by hyperinflation

Armageddon ??

Or in TV speak

Armageddon out of here before it gets worse. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On February 2, 2019 at 9:42 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Many people think so, but there are in reality many cases for which insurances will refuse to pay. A frequent one is a road accident when the driver is drunk or under drugs... Depends of course of Your insurance, but many people got very bad surprises (big bills) after such accidents...

Depends more on your lifestyle and choice of friends. I'm surprised anyone would insure you with a history of drunk, drugged road carnage. 

36 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

You all forget the most obvious one. Gf or wife is angry at you and uses your bank book to take that money for her to leave you. 

Yes...That is a second giant elephant in the room I failed to mention. Betrayal by your wife, gf, or a business partner. Can't ensure against that risk either.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:10 AM, Spidey said:

I have considerably more contingency money in the UK than the 800k in a Thai bank account. I would draw down on that, so no need to dip into my visa fund for any of the above.

I'm much more worried about Trump's little spat with Kim Jong Un or China, resulting in the Far East and S.E. Asia being turned into a nuclear wasteland. And most of the US of course.

On your last point, in Pattaya, would anyone notice the difference? 

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Since we cannot control events we can't pride ourselves as being doers but merely that which reacts and our reactions are programmed according to genetic makeup and nurture, it is therefore pointless to ponder the question 'what if'.

Epistemology is a noble pursuit. But it won't help me get my retirement extension.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I live in East Pattaya. I have visited many parts of Thailand and, on balance, find Pattaya the best place to live. When I first came to live here, I already had a preference for Chiang Mai, however my wife preferred Pattaya. Now, a few years down the line, I know that her choice was a wise one.

You have probably only experienced Central Pattaya and the bar scene. There is much more to Pattaya than that.

So, please change the record, it's very boring......and inaccurate.

One reason of many we will not live anywhere near Pattaya is I won't have my wife taken for or treated as a prostitute simply for being together with me.

Of course, if she'd ever been involved in such activities, it might be a bit hypothetical, but she has not.

The corruption and mafia are legion. Immigration problematic at best.

Up to you.

Just now, ozmeldo said:

One reason of many we will not live anywhere near Pattaya is I won't have my wife taken for or treated as a prostitute simply for being together with me.

Of course, if she'd ever been involved in such activities, it might be a bit hypothetical, but she has not.

The corruption and mafia are legion. Immigration problematic at best.

Up to you.

My wife has never been taken fore, or treated as a prostitute.

Corruption in every town and village in Thailand.

Immigration, one of the better ones in Thailand. One of the reasons that I'm glad I didn't settle for Chiang Mai.

Where do you live?

• Like 1

Several of the things on your list can be dealt with my being adequately insured.

It's not a minimum of 400K year round. It is a minimum of 800K 5 out of 12 months and 400K the rest of the time.

And effectively, it is gone unless you later decide to leave Thailand.

I'm considering putting 800K into a fixed deposit.  I would not mind that so much if Thai banks had a provision whereby an account can be designated "payable on death to.." because then at least the funds would become immediately available to my Executor/heirs on my death. I'm not going to leave behind less than 800K anyhow.  But they do not, and getting funds  from a  bank account after someone's death in Thailand, even with a Thai will, is a long drawn out affair. Which is a main reason I have for nto wanting to bring in more money than I need to - that and the low interest rates.

What the government ought to do is set up, either at the Bank of Thailand or with a designated bank(s) a system for posting a bond wherein the amount is immediately payable to designated beneficiaries upon the holder's death and also guaranteed to be immediately refunded to the holder on request, with any extension of stay granted based on then void  after X (reasonable number) of days.  If they want to make it really attractive, offer a competitive level of interest and allow the interest amount only be withdrawn, either annualy or at will.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I live in East Pattaya. I have visited many parts of Thailand and, on balance, find Pattaya the best place to live. When I first came to live here, I already had a preference for Chiang Mai, however my wife preferred Pattaya. Now, a few years down the line, I know that her choice was a wise one.

You have probably only experienced Central Pattaya and the bar scene. There is much more to Pattaya than that.

So, please change the record, it's very boring......and inaccurate.

well opinions are just that, opinions. There may be a good reason why you find my particular opinion boring,  maybe because many people hold the same view?    I know Pattaya very well, all of it.  In my view, It is a poor example of what Thailand has to offer a visitor and a long term expat and I would discourage anyone from thinking of locating to the City.  However, as I said, it's only an opinion. 

On 2/2/2019 at 9:32 AM, Pilotman said:

but don't sensible expats that retire here plan for contingency events?  The requirement for 800K and 400K is a 'minimum requirement', for the purposes of Immigration. it surely doesn't mean that it is all you need to have available to cater for unforeseen situations. 

It comes back to the same old thing. The Retirement Scheme is set at a level where the people retiring are probably ready and able to retire here, and probably have more assets to fall back upon if needed i.e. they have planned for, and are ready to retire to Thailand. Then there are the rest who have done none of this, and spend their days bleating to anyone who will listen to them that life is either not fair, or that the Authorities are doing everything they can to derail their scheme to circumvent the requirements. Seriously guys, go back from whence you came and work it all out in your homeland!

Just saying.....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

well opinions are just that, opinions. There may be a good reason why you find my particular opinion boring,  maybe because many people hold the same view?    I know Pattaya very well, all of it.  In my view, It is a poor example of what Thailand has to offer a visitor and a long term expat and I would discourage anyone from thinking of locating to the City.  However, as I said, it's only an opinion. 

It gets boring when you keep repeating it. Everyone's entitled to an opinion (although Americans seem to think that they are more entitled to an opinion than anyone else), but forcing it down people's throats, without justification, is unwarranted and boring.

Where do you live BTW?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Several of the things on your list can be dealt with my being adequately insured.

It's not a minimum of 400K year round. It is a minimum of 800K 5 out of 12 months and 400K the rest of the time.

And effectively, it is gone unless you later decide to leave Thailand.

I'm considering putting 800K into a fixed deposit.  I would not mind that so much if Thai banks had a provision whereby an account can be designated "payable on death to.." because then at least the funds would become immediately available to my Executor/heirs on my death. I'm not going to leave behind less than 800K anyhow.  But they do not, and getting funds  from a  bank account after someone's death in Thailand, even with a Thai will, is a long drawn out affair. Which is a main reason I have for nto wanting to bring in more money than I need to - that and the low interest rates.

What the government ought to do is set up, either at the Bank of Thailand or with a designated bank(s) a system for posting a bond wherein the amount is immediately payable to designated beneficiaries upon the holder's death and also guaranteed to be immediately refunded to the holder on request, with any extension of stay granted based on then void  after X (reasonable number) of days.  If they want to make it really attractive, offer a competitive level of interest and allow the interest amount only be withdrawn, either annualy or at will.

With respect Sheryl, too complicated. Not everyone is as smart as you.

Thais authorities and banks will never handle the logistics and the average retiree punter wont understand the details.

A simple solution is to just let us use the 800K to purchase a property or a business in our name. And make it retrospective. 

That is, anyone who has already purchased a condo (worth more than 800K) in their name need only show their chanote to get their extension.

But such a policy would make it easier for many retirees and we all know that that is not the intended outcome of these recent changes.

Edited by Khaeng Mak