Asked to show onward ticket flying to Thailand on my retirement extension

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There have been lots of treads about "onward flight" requirement. I as per op, am living bkk retirement extension. So to point. I fly Saigon every couple of weeks and back. Last trip at check in Saigon. The lady was flicking through my pp. I said..your looking for my Thai visa?

Answer Yes. I show her my visa and then asked her what if I didn't have one. Her reply ....you need show onward flight. I asked is bus ticket OK. Her answer... NO.

That was AirAsia 

I'm not endorsing the method, I'm pointing out what the original poster meant.

• Thanks 1

Yes i think we have all had this at one time or another in one form or another. Check in staff should not need to be immigration lawyers. This system could be avoided if passengers were made to sign a waiver that they would be liable for the return fare if refused entry to the destination country. Of course in these crazy times it goes further than that with airports employing immigration and customs officers for the destination countries. Singapore is one example of this.

2 hours ago, jobsworth said:

Yes i think we have all had this at one time or another in one form or another. Check in staff should not need to be immigration lawyers. This system could be avoided if passengers were made to sign a waiver that they would be liable for the return fare if refused entry to the destination country. Of course in these crazy times it goes further than that with airports employing immigration and customs officers for the destination countries. Singapore is one example of this.

They do not have to be immigration lawyers. The required information is on their check in screens via Timatic. The issue with waivers is enforce-ability.

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

JC International Airlines. Never even heard of them so very unlikely to even consider using them. :coffee1:

Lousy catering, only thing they serve is fish sandwiches. On the plus side, they've got an exemplary safety record when it comes to emergency landings on water. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, StevieAus said:

A few years ago when returning to Thailand from Australia flying with an Australian airline, the person checking me in tried to insist that I needed a return ticket to Australia.

After spending nearly 15 minutes explaining that I lived here had a retirement extension etc etc and showing the extensions from previous years I insisted she call a manager.

The guy had a quick look at my passport, gave her a demeaning look, shook his head, told her to check me in and walked away.

I put it down to lack of training or the person not being very smart.

I'll bet she gave him an ear full after you left for making her look stupid, doesn't matter that she was.................ill trained.

Well, in all fairness; you cannot blame the carriers for that. 

The Thai immigration keeps changing the rules almost on a daily basis and if a passenger cannot get off the plane at the destination then the carrier is forced to uplift that passenger back to the departure point on its next flight. 

14 hours ago, StevieAus said:

A few years ago when returning to Thailand from Australia flying with an Australian airline, the person checking me in tried to insist that I needed a return ticket to Australia.

After spending nearly 15 minutes explaining that I lived here had a retirement extension etc etc and showing the extensions from previous years I insisted she call a manager.

The guy had a quick look at my passport, gave her a demeaning look, shook his head, told her to check me in and walked away.

I put it down to lack of trainining or the person not being very smart.

Yeah, happened to me with American...you would think they would know, but I guess they can't realistically, but next door?  Sheesh.  Another UAL gorilla tried to tell me I needed a transit Visa for three hours at PEK....Not.

18 hours ago, jobsworth said:

This system could be avoided if passengers were made to sign a waiver that they would be liable for the return fare if refused entry to the destination country.

Signing a waiver does not mean they actually pay up, nor would it cover the fine the receiving country would impose for bringing them without entry qualifications. But in this instance, they are getting it wrong, or simply scamming money!

On 2/1/2019 at 2:58 PM, Ulic said:

JC International Airlines. Never even heard of them so very unlikely to even consider using them. :coffee1:

They started in 2017 I think - they only have 5 aircraft and I think are associated with a budget Chinese airline (not sure on that) Their groundstaff were useless - I won't fly with them again and still waiting on a response to my complaint.

This happened to me a few years ago, first and only time, so I thought it was a one-off. Flight from UK on KLM, check-in clerk asked to see my return flight.

This is my return flight, I told her, I live there. I pointed out my marriage visa (actually extension), and after a lot of scrutinizing of passport she let me through.

I'm going back to UK April, and I'll take copies of marriage cert, wife's ID and blue book - I already have some translates knocking around - and hope those and a nice smile will get me through.

I don't know what else we're supposed to do, other than buy a cheap throw-away ticket to nowhere. 

1 hour ago, RickBlaine said:

This happened to me a few years ago, first and only time, so I thought it was a one-off. Flight from UK on KLM,

Had the same with KLM at Manchester myself. You have to remember the check in girls are agency not carrier, likely dealing with mostly flights to Benidorm. Her computer tells her to ask, she wouldn't know a retirement extension from a Thai water bill.