Complying with the new retirement extension rules

14 minutes ago, madmen said:

There are reports coming out from a company with connections that the new rules won't effect previous extension holders but only new applications or in other words grandfatherd

I would give it a few days before worrying about the shambles that have been announced

Adding to your comment, elsewhere in this newsletter is the report that Immigration Officers are also kicking back on this ruling. Obviously nobody knows how any of it is going to be enforced!! The ruling has, as usual, come out with no forward thinking whatsoever.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

What would happen when he wants to get his next extension if he hasn’t had 400k in his account from 1st March this year? No extension? Or is he ok if he’s done the normal 3 months seasoning and it begins with his next extension 

dunno and neither do immigration by the sounds of it????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hotrats said:

Thank you Ubonjoe for your clarification. However, I am still not clear on exactly how immigration will be checking on the balance in our Thai bank accounts through the year following the receipt of our next extension. Will showing an updated bankbook be sufficient? Or will we be required to get a bank letter every 3 months? And will this become an added task along with each 90 day reporting?

Yes, that's the point I'd like to see clarified too. 

There are reports coming out from a company with connections that the new rules won't effect previous extension holders but only new applications or in other words grandfatherd

I would give it a few days before worrying about the shambles that have been announced
Not a very credible report.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The new rules are not retroactive. If somebody is already on a extension before March 1st the new rules will not apply until their next extension.

When they apply for their next extension they would have to have the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months before they apply and then 3 months after they do it. Then the 400k baht after the 3 months.

See above.

I hope the advice you are providing is absolutely correct. 

If it is not, when I make my next extension application I will be sitting on nearly a year in overstay and could face jail, deportation and a 5 year ban from visiting Thailand and my family.

Not to mention the difficulties I will face trying to live alone with my disabilities and illness without the support of my family.

Edited by Khaeng Mak
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But if the 'new' regs do become law, those who have chilled and not done anything will be up the creek without a paddle

As I understand it the new Regs are already law.  It's just that they come in to effect on the 1st of next month.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I hope the advice you are providing is absolutely correct. 

If it is not, when I make my next extension application I will be sitting on nearly a year in overstay and could face jail, deportation and a 6 year ban from visiting Thailand and my family.

Not to mention the difficulties I will face trying to live alone with my disabilities and illness without the support of my family.

Just put 65k a month from your country into a Thai Bank account. No worries.

Or a lesser amount, topped up to 800k/400k three months before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Not that simple.

You're talking about income applications without embassy letter.

The validity of such COMBO METHOD retirement applications is not explicitly mentioned in the recent orders/memos.

Thus, there is great doubt about having confidence that they will be accepted.

How are people supposed to make preparations in this environment?

It's disgusting. 

To add, combo method has never been applicable to marriage applications. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Thanks for your kind advice.

What do I do.  Trust that the advice provided by Ubon Joe is absolutely correct.

Or do I act now and try to transfer the equivalent of 400K back into my Thai account (plus a significant margin more to guard against any big FX movements or flash crashes).  This later solution is not as simple as it sounds (and maybe impossible) as I have already locked the funds into fixed term investments outside of Thailand. And there is a grace period of one month on repayment if the term is broken.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

If it is not, when I make my next extension application I will be sitting on nearly a year in overstay and could face jail, deportation and a 5 year ban from visiting Thailand and my family.

If you unable to meet the requirements for your next extension, there is no reason to waste a trip to immigration then.  You can let yourself run out of date and ship out or find other alternatives to stay on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Taking advice on this forum is being absurd.

Where else can I get advice?

This is the go to place for Thai visa advice isn't it?

I have read many of the threads here and its seems that Thai visa often assume the role of mouth piece for the expat community and seeks clarification of new stuff on our behalf. 

If I can't trust the advice on this forum why does Thai Visa seek to present itself as representing an expat such as me when they approach immigration for further information or clarification. 

Who appointed Thai Visa as my intermediary with immigration?

I want Immigration to communicate and clarify any new changes directly to me.  Not using some website where senior members tell me taking advice is absurd.

Sawan called the immigration office for me this morning and they didn't even know about this new rule.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

The new rules are not retroactive. If somebody is already on a extension before March 1st the new rules will not apply until their next extension.

When they apply for their next extension they would have to have the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months before they apply and then 3 months after they do it. Then the 400k baht after the 3 months.

See above.

I went to do a 90 day report last week. The IO officer asked me, in passing, when I planned to renew my permission to say extension. The current one expires 13/3. I told her I planned to do it between 14/2 and 21/2. She said that would be a good idea!

I keep well over the 800k in the account I use and never let the balance drop below 1m. But I suspect, just guessing, that the IO's are starting to fuss over the bureaucracy that could be introduced to monitor the 3 months after granted 800k bank balance and then the 400k. 

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My point is that it's just TOO EARLY to know any specifics about how immigration is actually going to interpret and enforce these multiple recent memos/orders. Sure get a background here, but sorry, for some things people are just going to have to rely on their own judgement. Some of us can give you 99 percent credible advice on rules that have been in play for years that have been reported on hundreds of time.

New stuff written so incredibly unclearly, with pretty much no guidance on the mechanics of enforcement. What are we Gods? Do they even know? If they do, why didn't they communicate things clearly?

A great example is combo retirement applications without embassy letters.

It's being said they are definitely going to be accepted.

Yet, how does anyone know that for sure?

They aren't mentioned at all in recent rules/memos.

So how much of these conclusions are similar to reading tea leaves? 

Totally agree. 

And each Immigration Office boss will have his/her own ideas of how to interpret and enforce the rules. Officers will then have to follow their local boss's rules, which they will interpret and apply!

As the months progress and this gets implemented we'll be able to comment on how each office is handling this and compare the differences.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:06 PM, dick turpin said:

Would'nt be so sure, your new extension will still be dated March 5th, after the new rules start.   

The date they quote and apparently the rule is "date of issue".

The issue date would then quote "extension of stay permitted up to 5 March 2020."

Edited by rott

Surely the retirement extension laws, if they applied to existing extenders (hard to believe??), need 2 years to implement for renewals or should not be changed at all for existing renewals? The IO cannot be expecting all law abiding retirement extenders to follow the news everyday can they? Some will not be aware of rule until next renewal with plans based on old.

I have always been using my 800k saved for 3 months in advance for living off/usin after extension and will top up again above 800k at 3 months before next renewal. All my real money stays outside Thailand. I didn't plan on going to an Imm office again until next renewal so will have no finances in place when I do go to adopt to any new rules they haven't told me about and changed on me since my last visit besides the 800k in a Thai bank 3 months prior as it was every year.

• Like 2