New financial regulations for retirees: Nearly a third of expats may have to leave - but half on Facebook say they're off!

webfact

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Thailand is better off without them IMO & the good news is the next batch of fools will know the rules and hopefully not complain nonstop. 

Hopefully the next batch of "fools" who come here will just get on with their lives, accept that there are differences to their home countries (duh!), and enjoy their lives instead of moaning non-stop on internet forums.

But there will always be keyboard morons who think that they know better.

Follow the rules and enjoy your life. Or go somewhere else. Just stop moaning.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Maybe but they aren't on retirement extensions, so not relevant here. 

Thailand treats English teachers with disdain anyway, so hopefully they will move on to South Korea or Japan of their own volition.

If you're 60+, and cannot even meet the paltry monetary requirements for a retirement visa, there are plenty of other places you can go, but feel free to keep moaning on this forum about a country thousands of miles away not wanting you.

The Thai authorities may not be as rigorous as in your home country but at least they've got the right idea! Either bring your money over or go and die in your home country.

Or keep trying to pretend that you are wanted here. You are not, and certainly not if can't meet the pathetic visa requirements!

Very sad indeed that there are so many destitute westerners trying to stay in Pattaya until they kick the bucket.

3 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

If you're 60+, and cannot even meet the paltry monetary requirements for a retirement visa, there are plenty of other places you can go, but feel free to keep moaning on this forum about a country thousands of miles away not wanting you.

The Thai authorities may not be as rigorous as in your home country but at least they've got the right idea! Either bring your money over or go and die in your home country.

Their poor planning isn't Thailand's problem.

I won't apologize for earning and saving money and being able to live wherever I want. Thailand's new rules seem logical, I'd also be adding insurance and full medicals (including mental disorders).

The ever changing visa rules and hurdles are merely shaking the tree to watch the nuts fall out & I say good for Thailand.

10 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

They've likely got more coin saved than some of the nearly dead moaning about 800k lol 

Really? 

The vast majority are teaching because they have no money and can't meet the monthly or deposit visa requirements. 

Just now, inThailand said:

Really? 

The vast majority are teaching because they have no money and can't meet the monthly or deposit visa requirements. 

I know I know I was joking - most have probably left for multiple reasons including being paid peanuts.

3 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Their poor planning isn't Thailand's problem.

I won't apologize for earning and saving money and being able to live wherever I want. Thailand's new rules seem logical, I'd also be adding insurance and full medicals (including mental disorders).

The ever changing visa rules and hurdles are merely shaking the tree to watch the nuts fall out & I say good for Thailand.

At least someone has got it. Thailand needs to shake the tree and let the crap fall. If you can't meet the requirements, you're not wanted. Good for them.

The amounts of money they are looking for are tiny by western standards.I can't imagine being retired with such pathetic amounts of money to my name.

4 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

At least someone has got it. Thailand needs to shake the tree and let the crap fall. If you can't meet the requirements, you're not wanted. Good for them.

The amounts of money they are looking for are tiny by western standards.I can't imagine being retired with such pathetic amounts of money to my name.

I have credit cards with higher limits 555555 

In time, they'll all be heading back to their home country's with their tail between their legs. It's best they stop delaying the inevitable. 

1 minute ago, Luckysilk said:

In time, they'll all be heading back to their home country's with their tail between their legs. It's best they stop delaying the inevitable. 

So for the rest of us who have the money?

2 minutes ago, inThailand said:

With less falangs around, will I become even more handsome? 

Yes, after me.

I overheard my wife the other day saying "you're handsome" I walked into the kitchen and saw she was taking to my son.... I was still jealous 55555

But as ex expats they will still be posting here. Fake information will continue to grow. 

What percent of posters even reside full time here?

I think most posters here can get the money. We are talking about small amounts, even moreso when you consider retirees.

People who want to live in Thailand but feel hard done by the new regulations would be better off somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

But as ex expats they will still be posting here. Fake information will continue to grow. 

What percent of posters even reside full time here?

So true, it's sort of depressing.

I've always assumed 90% reside here ?

We will die here of boredom or  likely be shot by a copper when we go "postal" at 711 when they ask for our passport at 711 to buy a slurpee.

Right after dying from a motorbike accident, gf kniving, katoy mishap, balcony descent or suspicious suicide. 

At least we will leave a loved one some cash in the bank. 

14 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Foreigners are wanted but they want the ones who can take good care of themselves.

And keep a lot of money in or pass a lot of money through a Thai Bank.

The only good news is that they haven't adjusted for inflation the amount of money involved for at least ten years.

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

Right after dying from a motorbike accident, gf kniving, katoy mishap, balcony descent or suspicious suicide. 

At least we will leave a loved one some cash in the bank. 

Jesus that made me laugh out loud and wake the dog.

Night all.

2 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

So true, it's sort of depressing.

I've always assumed 90% reside here ?

You meant 90% not living here? I don't think it is that far off when you read the disinformation or the regurgitation of old posts given here. 

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

You meant 90% not living here? I don't think it is that far off when you read the disinformation or the regurgitation of old posts given here. 

It's not surprising when my local immigration office can't even give any up to date advice because they deal so few farang immigrants. I have shown their own policies on their website in Thai and they still don't understand it.

I was once at the immigration office and was told that I needed to come back in 90 days when another officer told me that I did not need to. After my wide spoke to them for about 15 minutes we still didn't understand what they meant. Rules don't seem to be clear cut here.

However, if you are a desitute farang it goes without saying that they want you out asap, wife or not.

3 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

It's not surprising when my local immigration office can't even give any up to date advice because they deal so few farang immigrants. I have shown their own policies on their website in Thai and they still don't understand it.

Yeah it looks like immigration lines will be shorter in the future, the next beer coming quicker, beer and bar fine prices rising. But still better than leaving. 

There's no place like home

There's no place like home

Archived