New financial regulations for retirees: Nearly a third of expats may have to leave - but half on Facebook say they're off!

webfact

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

What old rules?  The rules are the same.  No change in the amounts only the time seasoning and that would note effect visa issue in the USA. 

I am thinking they will definitely change the rules in all the consulates in the future.  And I would not be too surprised if they changed the holding amount to 800K year round in Thailand.  I am only going to short stay from this point.  Will be doing winter vacation in other countries.

I think the 400k is a great idea, if only the UK had implemented something like that decades ago then we wouldn't have the outrageous overcrowding we see on public transport combined with ludicrous upward pressure on house prices. And the people in the corner shop might even be able to speak English, as a bonus. The people who couldn't afford it wouldn't just die, and there were no online forums for them to whinge in either, they would live within their means somewhere else. Of course some things would suffer, but each to their own.

I guess lots of people here have families in Thailand, but that's even more reason to have some money in reserve for the future. If not, what's wrong with Cambodia or Laos? If you don't have the resources, then Thailand has made it quite clear that it does not want you to be here.

I can't imagine being in a situation living in a country with my family, where I am persona non-grata, and not even having 400k to my name. I would have to go back home and work 2 jobs until I had the money!

46 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It's really hard to understand this guy due to his heavy accent but good on him for taking the time to make this video.  I do agree with him about thousands of expats moving thanks to immigrations latest hurdle.  Evidently, immigration wants to purge Thailand of westerners or they wouldn't keep moving the goal post.

The recent poll taken by Thai Visa and Face Book recently about expats leaving Thailand over this recent brain storm initiated by immigration showed only about 8% of the Thai Visa posters moving and a much larger 50% of Face Book users leaving Thailand.  I believe this discrepancy can be attributed to a lower cognitive ability of posters on this site or maybe there are just more Thai Visa posters who have married Thais and own homes here making the move more difficult.

Good on the expats who decide to stay.  Once immigration waves goodbye to the people who fall short of their financial requirement, the bed ridden with various illnesses and the ones with dementia are gone, immigration will have more time to focus on the ones who stayed to see what it takes to get them to move.  No worries though, they will think of something for sure.  ????

"It's really hard to understand this guy due to his heavy accent but good on him for taking the time to make this video".

As he says he's not too worried about his own future as he's meant to have a very well paid position lined up back in the UK as a BBC news presenter.

39 minutes ago, balo said:

Another hopeless thread , 39 pages within 24 hours. 

Just pay 15k to the agent and move on with your life. Go with the flow. 

Agreed, it just goes to show how it is mostly pensioners who use forums these days. 

if 1/3 left then more will follow. Why? Once a person leaves and goes to another country they will send message after message to friends. Eventually they will also leave. So I would think more like 50% will leave over a period of time. I also doubt more forenger and few will come.

Besides the 80,000-100,000b that expats bring into the country, the country will have a housing hit. I assume in the north many Chinese will replace the current foreigners or many houses will remain empty. If those many leave then the new home builders better cut back on their expectations because it isn't going to be pretty.  

1 hour ago, HuskerDo said:

That's a silly comment. You can move back to the UK and take your animals with you any time you want. 

Thanks for you stupid reply,  my cats are 16 years 10 years etc,  you are not an animal lover or you would understand what an ordeal it would be to take them on a 10 hour car ride to BKK,  then onto an aircraft for a 12 hour flight and a four hour journey to the north of England......who takes care of them during if the older ones survive the flights and journey's.   Think before you call people silly, mind your manners.

51 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It certainly appears to be a possible motive for immigration to keep moving the goal post. ????

Rubbish. How come they have made the Thai Citizenship so easy and faster, if that is the case?

10 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

I think the 400k is a great idea, if only the UK had implemented something like that decades ago then we wouldn't have the outrageous overcrowding we see on public transport combined with ludicrous upward pressure on house prices. And the people in the corner shop might even be able to speak English, as a bonus. The people who couldn't afford it wouldn't just die, and there were no online forums for them to whinge in either, they would live within their means somewhere else. Of course some things would suffer, but each to their own.

I guess lots of people here have families in Thailand, but that's even more reason to have some money in reserve for the future. If not, what's wrong with Cambodia or Laos? If you don't have the resources, then Thailand has made it quite clear that it does not want you to be here.

I can't imagine being in a situation living in a country with my family, where I am persona non-grata, and not even having 400k to my name. I would have to go back home and work 2 jobs until I had the money!

The problem is a lot of elderly men who these regulations would affect would be hard put to go back home and work just one job let alone two!

It's hard enough for some younger fellows to even find a job especially back in the UK with hordes of Eastern Europeans snapping up everything that's going.

What sort of jobs would you suggest these fellows should be looking for.

3 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Thanks for you stupid reply,  my cats are 16 years 10 years etc,  you are not an animal lover or you would understand what an ordeal it would be to take them on a 10 hour car ride to BKK,  then onto an aircraft for a 12 hour flight and a four hour journey to the north of England......who takes care of them during if the older ones survive the flights and journey's.   Think before you call people silly, mind your manners.

Stick them in a box, no big deal. It harder travelling with young kids.

2 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

We should wait for TI to make a final decision on things but I'd like to encourage all affected in a negative way by the new requirements to contact the US Embassy or Consulate to make a case for making things better for your situation. 

The rules are made by Thai immigration and has nothing to do with foreign embassies.  What would be the point of contacting your own embassy, wasting your time and theirs.  Thai immigration will not be influenced by foreign embassies.

5 minutes ago, Rugon said:

Stick them in a box, no big deal. It harder travelling with young kids.

You want sticking in a box  for sure,   cannot you post something more sensible.  Showing how much love you have to give.  ( zero)

On 2/4/2019 at 11:57 AM, geriatrickid said:

LOL. No, it won't. The loss of the lower end of the financial strata will be insignificant, because of the change in visitor  demographics. The Russian and Asian visitor segments are experiencing double digit growth and they  present a much better value proposition for the Thais.

Do you mean as tourists or retirees? 

6 hours ago, pr9spk said:

If you don't like Thailand, get lost and find another place to live in and stop posting on this forum!

Ah, I see people posting on this forum irk you. Hence, I solemnly swear I shall keep posting until last breath long after I've left Thailand. I get immense satisfaction in irking the "if you don't like it leave" crowd. I'm evil that way. Please stay tuned.

2 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

Only problem being a regular visitor on a METV visas you’ll be classified as a none genuine tourist and after too many visits you will see you sent home before you get past immigration.

Yes, it is really only advisable if spending not more than 6 out of 12 months of the year here. But there are some who do that and still were getting extensions based on retirement as it was easy to do. No more.

22 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ah, I see people posting on this forum irk you. Hence, I solemnly swear I shall keep posting until last breath long after I've left Thailand. I get immense satisfaction in irking the "if you don't like it leave" crowd. I'm evil that way. Please stay tuned.

Tread carefully Doc, you're dealing with the FOHT Brigade.

(F*** Off Home Then)

42 minutes ago, Rugon said:

Rubbish. How come they have made the Thai Citizenship so easy and faster, if that is the case?

I must have missed that on Thai Immigrations website.  I have never seen any information indicating an easy way to get Thai citizenship.  Please let me know where you have seen where this can be done to easily.  Thank you for your anticipated reply ????

1 minute ago, CMNightRider said:

I must have missed that on Thai Immigrations website.  I have never seen any information indicating an easy way to get Thai citizenship.  Please let me know where you have seen where this can be done to easily.  Thank you for your anticipated reply ????

You'll be hearing about that sometime called NEVER. 

14 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Does anyone wonder what happens to the 800K you've got in the Thai Bank if you suddenly drop dead and have made no will nor arrangements for friends or family to gain access to it.

I believe the Thai banks and immigration have given this subject a lot of thought.  This appears to be one of their motivating factors. ????

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, it is really only advisable if spending not more than 6 out of 12 months of the year here. But there are some who do that and still were getting extensions based on retirement as it was easy to do. No more.

That's (the METV that you get back home from Thai embassies) not been altered as yet but it probably will be soon even if you don't use it to live in the LOS. They'll be starting on that as soon as the retirement wallahs are sorted out. That won't be doing us any favours either.

Archived