New financial regulations for retirees: Nearly a third of expats may have to leave - but half on Facebook say they're off!

webfact

3 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Surely even a basic pension for a westerner would be over $1000 a month, and after selling your home you should be sorted. What is the big issue? If you're struggling now it will only be much worse in 5 years so start getting real.

How old are you and how long have you been here? Zero compassion aside, you appear to have very poor comprehension of the type of expats that might be affected by these changes.

A UK expat who retired here 15 years ago (there are plenty) with a pension income of £1600 would have enjoyed 110-120,000 baht per month, a fortune back then when the cost of living was cheaper. The same expat would currently be right on the 65k borderline, and given the volatility of the pound, likely to fail to qualify for a visa extension in the coming year. With all your obvious people skills, I nominate you to go and tell them to their face. 

6 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

How old are you and how long have you been here? Zero compassion aside, you appear to have very poor comprehension of the type of expats that might be affected by these changes.

A UK expat who retired here 15 years ago (there are plenty) with a pension income of £1600 would have enjoyed 110-120,000 baht per month, a fortune back then when the cost of living was cheaper. The same expat would currently be right on the 65k borderline, and given the volatility of the pound, likely to fail to qualify for a visa extension in the coming year. With all your obvious people skills, I nominate you to go and tell them to their face. 

You're basically saying that I don't understand how the exchange rate has fluctuated? Is my perceived poor comprehension by yourself because I cannot understand how the GBP/THB rate has changed over the last 20 years? If so, you couldn't be more wrong.

My heart bleeds for the people on here who used to get 70+ to the GBP, but it is only going to get worse.

It isn't going to get any better any time soon, so suck it up or get out.

The Thai baht is strengthening, sorry to say it but you fat old baldies might need to go somewhere else, I will tell that to anybody's face thank you very much.

Edited by pr9spk

54 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

The authorities are just trying to clean up the country by getting foreigners with no money out. I don't blame them, it'll make the place better for the rest of us.

Please list how this will make Thailand a better place for you and others ?

Please fill in the blanks

1) 

2)

3)

4)

5)

6) 

7)

????

9)

10)

Edited by stanleycoin

Excluding people who cannot meet such a basic financial requirement will keep the scumbags and leechers out.

Who wants penniless old men with health problems clogging up their country?

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where are they going to go to,back home ,Cambodia,or Philippines,
save up a bit more money and the could be back.
regards Worgeordie
Thailand is my home! I have no home in UK, and my pittance of a pension would not even pay rent and council tax for a decent flat in UK. Also, I cannot imagine UK letting my wife and 18 yr old daughter in with the new UK immigration rules! It took 2 attempts to get a visa for them for a 3 week holiday. Thank goodness I can continue to use the "income" method [emoji45]

Sent from my X98 Plus II (C2D6) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Excluding people who cannot meet such a basic financial requirement will keep the scumbags and leechers out.

No, if you knew anything about this place.

you would know,  all the real scumbags have plenty of money,

and this will not effect them at all.

Also how can you be a leech in Thailand, nothing is free. :coffee1: 

Edited by stanleycoin

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

No, if you new anything about this place.

you would know,  all the real scumbags have plenty of money

Great English.

However, the government is only using this as a first method to screen out people who should not be here.

In Thailand, money talks, if you haven't got any you should go home and shut up.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Thanks 1

No, if you new anything about this place.
you would know,  all the real scumbags have plenty of money

Well said, "love of money is the root of all evil" I have enough to live off here and don't need to stash money away so that I can brag about it on TV! Some of us are on limited pension income but are still decent human beings. Please try not to be so arrogant and critical of those of us who do not have a lump sum in the bank. Just be grateful but modest for what you have. I am grateful every day that i am still alive and healthy and have enough to live off. Thank you [emoji57]

Sent from my X98 Plus II (C2D6) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Great English.

However, the government is only using this as a first method to screen out people who should not be here.

In Thailand, money talks, if you haven't got any you should go home and shut up.

I'm still waiting,  for you to fill in the blanks. of how it will be better in Thailand for you and others. when the purge is over. ?

or are just one more empty blanker on Tv.

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

I'm still waiting,  for you to fill in the blanks. of how it will be better in Thailand for you and others. when the purge is over. ?

or are just one more empty blanker on Tv.

Keep waiting. I assume you are bald, fat and impotent?

I'm ready to go, by the way, maybe you could give me your wife's number?

Edited by pr9spk
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

You have a seriously bad attitude, and retirees who do have a steady monthly income coming in but don't meet the 65k criteria should be considered as realistically 30k - 40k per month steady income is more than enough to live comfortable here even supporting a wife. I would have thought and hoped it is the bad attitude uncaring foul mouthed people like you spouting off that should be on the consideration list as an undesirable. Thailand should be for warm friendly retirees, not begrudging and think they are a level above. Everyone is equal and a human being. The bar is simply too high for some retirees where it should not be. Thai like fun people. 

Thailand doesn't want warm and friendly retirees, it wants people who can support themselves financially and hopefully support their wife's family as well, if they are married. That is a very sad state of affairs, but it is real.

You say that everyone is equal but in Thailand there are two kinds of people: people with money and people without. There is zero welfare for foreigners, nor should I imagine that there will ever be.

If you can't meet these basic financial requirements, you should go somewhere else.

That may sound harsh, but is the stark truth of the country and better that people understand this than have some kind of rose-tinted view of something that does not exist.

To get back to the original point, I was only trying to point out that the new deposit requirements are quite reasonable, and if someone cannot meet them at the later stages of their life then there are other places for them to go. Criticise all you want but I am just saying how it is in an effort to stop people from deluding themselves. Things have slowly been getting worse for years now, and it seems like the trend will only continue.

If you can meet the requirements, then Thailand is a beautiful country with lovely people and food, just watch out for the grumpy ex-pats! ????

If you retired here on false promises and a paltry pension, I'm sorry about that, but there are lots of things you can do to improve your situation.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

As it stands now a retirement visa is good for two years with one exit and entry and no money in the bank.  What is not streamlined about that?  If you live in Chicago after one expires go home and get another.  

Did you not realize this? 

Thanks.  I did this and had serious problems with the immigration in TH. I do believe you are correct.  And that is the law!  There is no fight you can win the immigration officer when they refuse and cancel your retirement visa.  Strangely 6 officers and the floor supervisor agreed my retirement visa was valid.  One mean spirited little lady took my passport marked it canceled over in the re-entry stamp area.  Her friend took my photo and put a 30 day stamp in it.  No one could ever tell me why.  I was at Cheng Wattna until 8:30 pm.  It was hard to even get out of the building and walk to the road.

Of course that is the Thai.  My thai friends were very sympathetic and said go at a different time of day, hire someone like an agent.  They know that the immigration officers are often confused and poorly trained.

I am not interested in living in Thailand full time.  Like to just spend the winter but they don't quite have a visa for that.

And I do wonder how long the consulate in Chicago will issue retirement visas under the old rules of using US Bank accounts.  Does anyone know?

Thailand doesn't want warm and friendly retirees, it wants people who can support themselves financially and hopefully support their wife's family as well, if they are married. That is a very sad state of affairs, but it is real.

You say that everyone is equal but in Thailand there are two kinds of people: people with money and people without. There is zero welfare for foreigners, nor should I imagine that there will ever be.

If you can't meet these basic financial requirements, you should go somewhere else.

That may sound harsh, but is the stark truth of the country and better that people understand this than have some kind of rose-tinted view of something that does not exist.

To get back to the original point, I was only trying to point out that the new deposit requirements are quite reasonable, and if someone cannot meet them at the later stages of their life then there are other places for them to go. Criticise all you want but I am just saying how it is in an effort to stop people from deluding themselves. Things have slowly been getting worse for years now, and it seems like the trend will only continue.

If you can meet the requirements, then Thailand is a beautiful country with lovely people and food, just watch out for the grumpy ex-pats! [emoji2]

If you retired here on false promises and a paltry pension, I'm sorry about that, but there are lots of things you can do to improve your situation.

A rational and educated post .
Without the in yer face attitude you have summed it up nicely, a shame you resorted to abuse earlier, this is much better.
Can’t fault your argument on this post .
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

These new rules will hurt the Thai economy if almost half leave unless they change to a spousal visa if they are married of course .                                 The Thai Baht is another major factor in how people can survive here and only the Government can step in and bring it back out of its inflated state wich will also improve exports as we all know the weaker the baht the more other countries can import just common sense instead of greed .

Currencies go up and currencies go down. Happens to all of them. If the currency fluctuation is the deciding factor as to whether someone stays or goes then they haven't planned their life out very well. Might sound harsh but it's true.

As far as the new rules hurting the economy you are dreaming if you think few farangs with less than 800,000 baht to their name will make a difference to this economy. Just like it didn't affect their home country when they left. Meaningless. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Currencies go up and currencies go down. Happens to all of them. If the currency fluctuation is the deciding factor as to whether someone stays or goes then they haven't planned their life out very well. Might sound harsh but it's true.

As far as the new rules hurting the economy you are dreaming if you think few farangs with less than 800,000 baht to their name will make a difference to this economy. Just like it didn't affect their home country when they left. Meaningless. 

Exactly, the kind of people who cannot meet these requirements are spending buttons in Thailand anyway, so will make no difference when they are asked to leave. If families are broken up as a result then that is incredibly sad, but then money makes Thailand go round, even more so than any country I have ever spent time in.

It might be poor planning, or poor advice but in any case all is not lost as there are other places not too far that they can go. But lets get real here, 800k baht is only $25k, if you don't have that then you should be looking for a job, not somewhere to retire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPH said:

Those who go back to their home country once a year can just get a Non Immigrant O visa and make the three monthly border run. No need for money in the bank in Thailand. 

That would suppose that you get a Non-O Multiple Entry,

but they are not easily available for everyone.

By example the Thai Embassy in France delivers Non-O on Single-Entry only.

The option then is Non O-A, but they require money 800k in a Thai bank...

That would suppose that you get a Non-O Multiple Entry,

but they are not easily available for everyone.

By example the Thai Embassy in France delivers Non-O on Single-Entry only.

The option then is Non O-A, but they require money 800k in a Thai bank...

For applications for O-A the money can be in any bank, I.e. your home country.

Note: that applies for the UK , not sure about other countries.

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

These new rules will hurt the Thai economy if almost half leave unless they change to a spousal visa if they are married of course .                                 The Thai Baht is another major factor in how people can survive here and only the Government can step in and bring it back out of its inflated state wich will also improve exports as we all know the weaker the baht the more other countries can import just common sense instead of greed .

Well said, and I agree but it certainly raises the question of how much expats actually contribute to the annual Thai economy as compared to say, the droves of Chinese and Indian tourists currently and soon to infect the country.

We may not be as important as we think. 

If anybody has a reliable stat I'd be interested in hearing it. 

20 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

The problem isn't just this issue, it's the continual slow tightening of the screw that is the problem and it's been going on for years now. It's pretty clear that the authorities have made their choice of who they want here and it's not western retirees really. What will be next is anyone's guess but you can bet your backside it'll be something that restricts even more. My take on it is don't even think of investing anything here as it's clear that we are not wanted and there is an unannounced policy to make it as hard as possible to stay. I'll just ride out the last 5 or so years of it being acceptable, probably work here too as that seems to be the easiest way to stay now...then move along once the competition has it's act together properly.

Agreed, but.

The screw is tightening on any person living in any economy any place in the world. More regs and higher cost of living every day as governments go more into unsustainable debt. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Agreed, but.

The screw is tightening on any person living in any economy any place in the world. More regs and higher cost of living every day as governments go more into unsustainable debt. 

This.