Packed pick-up truck slams into ambulance at Udon Thani intersection - 14 injured

webfact

Packed pick-up truck slams into ambulance at Udon Thani intersection - 14 injured

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A pick-up truck with twelve workers in the back slammed into the side of an ambulance taking two people to hospital at an Udon Thani intersection yesterday. 

The ambulance - attached to the Phiboonrak Hospital - had gone through a red light with its siren blaring. 

But the pick-up driver said he was taken by surprise and heard nothing. 

The injured were all over the street at the intersection in Ban Sam Phrao, Muang district as rescue teams from two other foundations attended the scene. 

A 35 year old woman and her relative who were in the ambulance were hurt and ferried to Soon Udon Thai Hospital, their original destination. 

Ten men and two women - all workers on their way home in the pick-up - were injured and taken to the same health center. 

Ambulance driver Chalat Maorasee, 36, admitted he had gone through the red light but he said he had his siren on. Other motorists on the right had moved across allowing him to get through the intersection.

His Toyota van ambulance was hit very hard on the side by the pick-up, he said. 

Pick-up driver Sanya Khonkham, 47, said he didn't see or hear anything and the ambulance took him by complete surprise. 

Police are investigating. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-05

29 minutes ago, electric said:

I've never needed an Ambo in Thailand, but I'm sure these guys are proud of their job, and trying to do their best to save lives.

We see it a little differently, ambulances here are a step up from the "body snatchers" the Private Hospitals decided that they could make more money by using their own ambulances to increase their income, this has happened only in recent years, all too often these people still end up being accused of various crimes, private hospitals are in business, saving lives is secondary! :shock1:

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What a surprise! Bowling along obviously not paying attention, probably with music blaring at an ungodly volume. Very fortunate that no one was killed from yet another driver who doesn't understand that you need to be watching the road ahead very carefully at all times, especially when crossing an intersection.

THE PICK UP IS LICENSED TO CARRY HOW MANY??????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first time I travelled in a Thai ambulance was after a collision when I finished up with a broken wrist, nothing life threatening. But the driver went hell for leather to the hospital all lights and sirens on as though I was a goner.

Untrained but cheap like most emergency service workers here.

10 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Most people blaming the pick-up driver. Well, not so fast. Thai "ambulance drivers" receive no training in high-speed emergency driving. They just pick it up as they go along watching what phee does.

I live close to a hospital and the ambulance drivers are a menace, totally idiotically charging into oncoming traffic at 60 kmh. It is ridiculously dangerous and I suspect they just do it for the thrill rather than any particular need to get to the hospital thirty seconds earlier.

Just normal minibus driving.

easy to drive through traffic lights with blues and 2's going but have to make sure its safe to do so, not just hope everyone stops, ambulance driver to blame, could have been some fatals with the overloaded pick up, crazy Thailand the land of death on the roads.

• Like 2

The ambulance driver is an idiot. He needs to slow down and make sure that it is safe to proceed. Just because he has a siren he can not endanger others. Many motorists listen to radio in their cars, and it can happen that they do not hear the sirens until it is too late.

22 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

had gone through a red light with its siren blaring

Stupid man, how not to drive an emergency vehicle, should not have gone through a red light without checking the road was clear first

Agreed, emergency vehicles can attempt to go through a red light only with extreme caution

When even the farangs have no respect for ambulances and fire trucks, then certainly the locals who are so full of constant excuses of why they crash their vehicles, I do not see any changes for Asia.  Maybe in this case the ambulance driver did not slow down, but very likely the pickup driver had his stereo or radio blaring and could not even hear a bomb go off, but, oh oh, I did not hear anything excuse of the day. I feel sorry for the emergency drivers and medical people who have to risk their lives to try save another. However on this and most forums there are more than enough armchair experts.

Geezer