A possible solution to the current immigration requirements.

They issue passports and other functions don't they? Actually it is what TI regards as their responsibilities that is important, and they truly wanted them to verify income. Still I accept your point.
Yeah why would the german embassy for example not be able to see how much pension you get paid by the german government, it's as simple database lookup for them.

Would work fine in for everyone who gets state pension, i don't see an issue... Except lazy or incompetent embassies.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Your conduct is in breach of the rules of this forum:

OK, sorry. I shall not do it again.

But please Khaeng, do not post anything about the retirement VISA actually being an EXTENSION. It's been done over and over and over again, before you joined.

Edited by wgdanson

21 hours ago, New beginnings said:

With this in mind may I proffer the following solution which may benefit all parties to the current debate and would welcome members comments.

Why  not just go to the IMM HQ still on Suan Phlu and look for this:

Image result for suggestion box

• Haha 1

I have just returned from Jomptien IO after collecting my new passport, they moved the old visas etc. Whilst I was there I had a word with the visa shop there and asked about the price for assistance in visa extension renewal. They quoted 20,000 baht if you have a Bangkok Bank Acc, and 25,000 baht for my Kasikorn Acc and I should imagine any other Bank Acc, make of that as you will.

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Sense no embassy can 100% guarantee income no embassy letters should be accepted.....Sense ALL embassy letters are accepted except form 4 countries this means Thai immigration does not really give a rats-ass what any ones income is...

Are all the embassies still issuing income letters actually VERIFYING income or just going through the motions like the 4 embassies who refused to supply the letters ? It is quite a lot of investigation to really verify income ! Especially share dividends and other forms of investment .

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

I do think the 4 embassies share the blame for their citizens' misfortune.

The right to offer its citizens notarial services is a right granted under the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (1963). Thailand was dictating to the US the basis on which US had to conduct its notary services for Thailand to accept a sworn affidavit and US told them to stuff it.

53 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Its a game and TI have the "Joker" Anyway and with the little I have of information I'm afraid the immediate future implies the opposite because even if pensioners here receive state pension etc., it will be very time-consuming for consular employees at embassies to dig deep for meeting the demands from Thai Immigration which I believe will only increase and the income letter will be only "the icing on the cake"  I will not be surprized if it will include legalization/verification from the foreigners Foreign department, then embassy and then again Mfa here in Thailand. I believe Thai immigration are informed about the limits and capacity Embassies have to priority the tasks over time and at the end of day several countries will stop verifying income and only choice will be 800k in a Thai bank.

If this rapid fire goal post tightening does not stop Thai Immigration will not have to worry about verifying much of any thing do to lack of  customers needing their services...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, john ianson said:

Are all the embassies still issuing income letters actually VERIFYING income or just going through the motions like the 4 embassies who refused to supply the letters ? It is quite a lot of investigation to really verify income ! Especially share dividends and other forms of investment .

Conflicting posts. Have seen some say their Embassy has the ability to verify the income, another claimed theirs also did something similar to a Stat Dec or affidavit.

In many countries they can get information from the insurance companies

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes I realise it would be easy for an embassy to verify a Gov't pension of that country but not ALL expats are on a Gov't  pension and so to verify an expat not on a Gov't pension would take some effort ! 

But they can show docs to the embassy what other income their have i.e approval of a company pension or investments

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wobalt said:

If expats have to leave, who is to blame, TI or the embassies

Blame ....I heard something about a wall and only A......ca ???? Historical and unfortunately extreme political visions propagate down in a hierarchy, and that is part of what we see in Thailand and for that matter several European countries

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

OK, sorry. I shall not do it again.

But please Khaeng, do not post anything about the retirement VISA actually being an EXTENSION. It's been done over and over and over again, before you joined.

So why do you insist on calling it a visa when it is only an extension. Ok for you to say the wrong thing but not Ok for others to say the correct thing??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Very good suggestions. The current holders of retirement visas, or marriage visas, should be grandfathered in, on some level. Especially those with marriage visas, who have shown that they are committed to remaining here, and support local Thais in the process. What immigration is doing is terribly disrespectful to the ex-pat community, feels like a process of demonization, and reeks of xenophobia. It is beyond ugly. It leaves a sour, bitter, nasty, foul taste in one's mouth, and the end result is that they are going to be chasing away alot of good men due to hubris, ignorance, arrogance, an astonishing level of fear of the outside world, and indifference. 

Grandfather in all the folks who cannot make the proper amount of money to stay here and let them continue to scam the system. I follow the rules have the necessary money to abide by the new rules which really are not that hard to follow. Send money to a Thai bank monthly what is so <deleted> hard about that, O forgot we need to cut the scofflaws some slack so they can continue to cheat. If you cannot afford to stay here now you could not afford it before

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And other posters suggest, probably correctly, that Thai Imm Officers would not be able to decipher a Bank statement in English.

So how the f*** would they read and understand some of the sh**e written here.   LOL

Easy to run rings around them with obfuscation and double entendre. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

With a month's notice and no formal dissemination of information from the authorities.

A month's notice is more than enough.  Unless you borrow 800K from a loan shark and cannot afford an extra 3 months of interests or using an agent to cook your extension.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, farangx said:

A month's notice is more than enough.  Unless you borrow 800K from a loan shark and cannot afford an extra 3 months of interests or using an agent to cook your extension.

If using an agent, all seasoning goes away.  But these changes will help ensure no competition with immigration's agent partners.  Maybe agents will cost more, if there are periodic "money still there" updates added to the process, which the agent will handle, for an additional fee (split with the IOs). 

12 hours ago, moe666 said:

Grandfather in all the folks who cannot make the proper amount of money to stay here and let them continue to scam the system.

If immigration were actually checking seasoning, or the applicant has the required gross-income, how are they scamming anything?  

12 hours ago, moe666 said:

If you cannot afford to stay here now you could not afford it before

The extended-seasoning and "remit the full income here" requirements are NEW, so many are not be prepared to meet them.  Therefore, your statement is incorrect. 

And, of course, by "afford" you mean "afford to meet immigration's hurdles" - which are far beyond what it actually takes to "afford to stay here" in terms of real-world costs - and living well, at that.

• Like 2

You should be careful when trying to speak for other people. You shall NOT talk i.e. for ALL THESE NATIONS THAT STILL DO THE INCOME-LETTER.... We do NOT need what you are suggesting. We are just fine.

The ONLY people you can speak to and include is people from AUSTRALIA UK DENMARK AND USA.. NO ONE ELSE.....

glegolo

Don’t me negative the guy was just giving his opinion

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, New beginnings said:

I appreciate your comments but do not see my post as being confrontational as the proffered solution would not be detrimental to any expat regardless of nationality.

Your solution isn't a solution as it won't stop people being here who shouldn't be here. It is a joke.

Edited by FritsSikkink

On 2/6/2019 at 12:10 PM, spidermike007 said:

due to hubris, ignorance, arrogance, an astonishing level of fear of the outside world, and indifference. 

Wow -- and I'll guess that a good definition of those terms in the context of  formulating immigration policy is that it does not conform as to the way the hoi polloi on ThaiVisa.com thinks such policy should be formulated.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:31 PM, zoza said:

If you have been to Chon Buri Immigration (jomtien) lately you would of observed the fact for retirement renewal (visa) there is no queue at times 

when four or five Chinese walk in the Farangs are moved back while the agents and Chinese hand packs of Passports and paperwork to the IO who man the desks, all queue numbers are forgotten. my last visit in January

was unbelievable with agents just walking in and everyone has to move while this very important business takes precedence. The agents laugh as they had over their pouches just as the farang retirees look on shame faced....if some one filmed this ,you would think it is not possible after all this talk of crackdown...why doesn't big joke just film this and deal with The IO's who are doing these obviously illegal activities...no it is easier

to make everyone bank 800.000 baht.... and make retirees keep 400.000 and not touch it all year......does any one believe this nonsense....to me this is a crackdown

on people who try to do things the correct way.

if it is still the same on my next renewal I might just take a long holiday from Thailand and its corrupt ways.   

I've helped my Chinese business partners get re-entry permits and the like from different immigration offices all around the country and not once has a farang, a Burmese person or anyone else ever been "moved back" when this happened. We always had to wait quite a while while they processed their application. Sometimes up to 2.5 hours (like in Mae Sai once).

1 minute ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

I've helped my Chinese business partners get re-entry permits and the like from different immigration offices all around the country and not once has a farang, a Burmese person or anyone else ever been "moved back" when this happened. We always had to wait quite a while while they processed their application. Sometimes up to 2.5 hours (like in Mae Sai once).

how thick was the red/brown envelope

• Haha 1