Problem with D-Tracker 125

jackdd

I hope somebody ever had a similar problem and knows what caused it or somebody here knows a bit more about electronics in a motorbike than i do

Bike: D-Tracker 125, fuel injected, aircooled

When i park the bike in the sun and then try to start it, often it won't start (maybe 90% after parked in the sun), and i need to hit the start button many times until it finally starts.

This seems to happen only when i parked the bike in the sun, so probably heat related. I can hear the electric motor trying to start the engine but no ignition occurs.

When it finally starts after several tries it sounds a bit strange for the first second (i assume because of excess fuel), so i think fuel enters the engine, but the spark plug doesn't ignite it.

If after several tries the engine finally starts and i turn it off it's no problem to start it again, the problem is gone until i park the bike for a longer time again.

I can hear the starter motor, so assume the motor and the battery are ok, the bike runs fine once it's running so the spark plug should be ok as well.

To me this looks like there might be some type of malfunctioning temperature sensor cutting off the electricity to the spark plug (a bit strange tho that turning it off and directly back on is no problem)

Does anybody here know if such a small air cooled bike has such a type of temperature sensor? If so, how is this called?

If it doesn't have such a temperature sensor which part could probably cause such a behaviour?

Sounds to me when you park in the sun along with engine heat, evaporation dry out of fuel to the cylinder head intake etc will occur.

Have you tried switching ignition on and wait until the fuel pump has full pressure before pressing the starter.

I say this because it use to happen with my Versys. 

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Sounds to me when you park in the sun along with engine heat, evaporation dry out of fuel to the cylinder head intake etc will occur.

This sounds like a good idea for what could happen, would also explain why it only happens after i parked it. But i don't have the problem when i park the bike several days in the shadow, but maybe the 80+ degree which it might reach in the sun just make this process way faster than the 30 degrees in the shadow.

Especially because the bike is nearly 7 years old, the hoses and seals are for sure not in the best condition anymore.

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Have you tried switching ignition on and wait until the fuel pump has full pressure before pressing the starter.

Yes, i do wait, but doesn't help.

Is there an easier way to check if i have voltage at the spark plug than carrying a wrench and screwing it out to check it in the heat of the street?

If it turns out that i actually have voltage at the spark plug i would probably just try to get the hoses replaced, should not be expensive

Edited by jackdd

17 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Is there an easier way to check if i have voltage at the spark plug than carrying a wrench and screwing it out to check it in the heat of the street?

A volt meter can check it.

Without looking at it could be many things air getting in etc.

From memory on D Trackers they have starter motor problems, so does this happen;  the solenoid pushes to engage with the flywheel, the starter spins to turn the lump. If you just hear a whirring sound like the starter motor is spinning without affecting the motor, then the solenoid is either broken, or there's a wiring issue on the starter itself.