Aussie teacher details horrific conditions inside Thai detention

webfact

Aussie teacher details horrific conditions inside Thai detention

A teacher has revealed his traumatic time locked in a cell with 130 other men, some of them in adult nappies.

Stephanie Bedo

screenshot_8625.jpg

Foreign detainees at an immigration detention centre in Bangkok in January during a visit organised by authorities for journalists. Human rights groups have for years condemned Thailand for its hostility towards asylum seekers. Picture: Romeo Gacad/AFPSource:AFP

Once behind bars in a Thai jail you are “no longer considered human”, according to an Aussie teacher who was detained for 10 days in Bangkok.

John knows this because his Thai girlfriend, who helped him while he was terrifyingly detained in November, overheard guards at the Immigration Detention Centre in Bangkok refer to detainees as “it” instead of he or she.

“They treat them literally like animals,” the 29-year-old, who did not want to provide his last name, told news.com.au. “You’re no longer considered human once you’re in there"

Full story: https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/aussie-teacher-details-horrific-conditions-inside-thai-detention/news-story/d432a704bf0db1def6d79489ae1b830c

-- NEWS.COM.AU 2019-02-06

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I have heard many Thai women of the 'night entertainment' variety use 'มัน' (meaning 'it') when referring to their handsome BF or husband...

I've had travel agents refer to me with 'mun' while selling me a bus ticket or whatever.  I thought at the time that it seemed a bit rude.  Is is rude, in the Thai context?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

No medical help again BS, whilst i was in Buriram prison ( in a cell with 104 ) a prisoner in my cell had a problem in the night, he was taken out for him to get treatment, ( what treatment how good ) i dont know.

why were you there?

I use the word "mun" quite often when referring to others and not always in a derogatory way. It is quite normal here. Even Prayuth has been know to use it when referring to to fellow Thais (but in his case always used with deep disdain).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Overstayers -- and beyond that even convicted criminals -- deserve to be treated humanely in any country, be provided sufficient and decent food and water while in custody, and some level of medical treatment when ill, etc etc.

Anything less is a violation of their human rights by those in charge.

... and should be considered a crime punished with prison not less than 1 year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

After reading the story in the link, i had a good laugh, and call him a cry baby, wanting media attention.

Only allowed 40cm width to sleep, same as normal prisons here, no toilet paper, what did he expect?

Thais dont use toilet paper like farangs do, most of them never use it to wipe their backsides.

Food only bones, no meat, same as other prisons here, plenty of rice and a bowl of gruel, normal in prisons here.

Girlfriend overheard guards speaking BS, she would never have been allowed inside.

No medical help again BS, whilst i was in Buriram prison ( in a cell with 104 ) a prisoner in my cell had a problem in the night, he was taken out for him to get treatment, ( what treatment how good ) i dont know.

He was here 2 years on tourist visas, of course he got lifted, he admits to working, so no wonder had problems.

Whilst the immigration prison's conditions are similar to other Thai prisons, this doesn't make the inhumanity exhibited to prisoners acceptable. The only point of agreement I have with your opinion is the toilet paper issue. Surely after 2 years the guy surely doesn't require toilet paper?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BringMeSunshine said:

I've had travel agents refer to me with 'mun' while selling me a bus ticket or whatever.  I thought at the time that it seemed a bit rude.  Is is rude, in the Thai context?

In oral language not too much. If you want a level, it's lower than normal oral language but higher than really vulgar.