Friend In Hospital, Visa About To Expire. What To Do?

I am writing this post on behalf of a friend who is currently in Chulalongkorn Hospital in Bangkok, recovering from major surgery. His visa expires next week, he is concerned about remaining legal, and is not sure what needs to be done to extend his visa without doing a visa run.

It is possible he will still be in hospital recovering when the visa expires while there is also a possibility he might have returned to his condo. At this stage no-one can be sure when he will leave hospital. But whether he is in hospital or back in his condo, he really doesn't feel he will be able to travel / make a visa run as recovery from surgery which took place 48 hours is expected to take some time.

He is self-employed, has a work permit and a multiple-entry non-immigrant B visa. He makes a visa run every 3 months. The visa itself i.e. the sticker in his passport, is valid until next year so no problem there, but his 90 days permission to stay i.e. the stamp he gets each time he enters the country is up next week. Normally he would do a visa run then and get another 90 days, but as explained, he doesn't feel he will be able to travel at this time.

If he is unable to travel, what are his options? Is it a matter of getting a letter from the doctor / hospital and sending someone to Chaeng Wattana to get an extension in his absence? Is this an option? Are there other / better options? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Edited by mstevens

2.25 In the case of receiving medical
treatment, attending rehabilitation, or
taking care of a patient:
A. In the case of receiving medical
treatment, attending rehabilitation, or
taking care of a patient:
Permission shall be granted for no more than
90 days.

A. In the case of receiving medical treatment, attending rehabilitation, or taking
care of a patient:
(1) Must have been confirmed and requested by a physician of the
hospital or state medical institution providing said treatment with full explanation about the
illness, period of treatment, and the physician's opinion that the illness is an impediment to
travel.

Immigration Bureau order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en.pdf

• Like 2

a friend of mine was in bumrungrad and in need of an extension to his tourist visa (to avoid overstay after unexpected medical needs).  as i recall, everything was handled at/by bumrungrad.  said another way, a friend didn't have to go to CW on his behalf but likely a member of the hospital did.  i realize we are talking a different hospital here but maybe chulalongkorn has a similar program.

If he was at Bumrungrad no problem just call down to service desk hand them the passport ( and they will take care of everything and add it to the bill ) but Chula may be a different situation and he probably will need help possibly from a friend who can come to hospital to help him who speaks Thai .

I would not count on Chula, a government hospital, knowing what is needed. It is different with the private "international" hospitals.

From experience, it is critical that the letter state not only his diagnosis and that he is a patient in the hospital but also clearly states he is unable to travel and gives a time estimate of how long it will be before he can safely do so.

Many offices seem to want pictures of the patient in the hospital as well, the more dramatic looking the better. And moire thna 1 picture also seems to be preferred, when I did this about 2-3 years ago the IO was displeased that I brought in "only one" photo.

It is best to do this while he is still in the hospital.

Extension can also be granted for 1 relative as caretaker if necessary. In that case the letter should state that this person (name, nationality, passport number) needs to remain in country to help care for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would not count on Chula, a government hospital, knowing what is needed. It is different with the private "international" hospitals.

From experience, it is critical that the letter state not only his diagnosis and that he is a patient in the hospital but also clearly states he is unable to travel and gives a time estimate of how long it will be before he can safely do so.

Many offices seem to want pictures of the patient in the hospital as well, the more dramatic looking the better. And moire thna 1 picture also seems to be preferred, when I did this about 2-3 years ago the IO was displeased that I brought in "only one" photo.

It is best to do this while he is still in the hospital.

Extension can also be granted for 1 relative as caretaker if necessary. In that case the letter should state that this person (name, nationality, passport number) needs to remain in country to help care for them.

It clearly states on these application forms that the applicant shall apply in person unless they are physically unable to do so. It's really not a problem. A friend or caregiver gets a letter from the hospital and take it to immigration, with the with the patients passport.