Election a tipping point for ‘Thai-style democracy’

webfact

An off topic post containing a profane video has been removed.

Posts discussing a member of the Royal family entering into politics has been removed.  You can read about that here:

A post containing a reference to the PM which is disallowed on this site has been removed. 

Difficult to run against an opponent who is protected from criticism. But, Big P's plans have all but washed down the drain. He can't beat the opponent in an election, and even if there is a deadlock, no politician who values his head would nominate anyone other than the opponent to be PM. The REAL telling thing would be if the Thai Raksa Chart party get almost no votes, as people for the first time would be able to publicly but anonymously voice their REAL feelings about a certain family.  Popcorn time...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Difficult to run against an opponent who is protected from criticism. But, Big P's plans have all but washed down the drain. He can't beat the opponent in an election, and even if there is a deadlock, no politician who values his head would nominate anyone other than the opponent to be PM. The REAL telling thing would be if the Thai Raksa Chart party get almost no votes, as people for the first time would be able to publicly but anonymously voice their REAL feelings about a certain family.  Popcorn time...

Your first sentence (the most important one I have read so far on this thread) is one that all of us should reflect upon very deeply, and mull over its implications ...

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Given the radically changed political landscape now, I would have thought that it was extremely unwise of Prayut (if the reports are true) to stand in opposition to the Thai Raksa Chart party ...

From many of my Thai work mates today, they think exactly the same, they are deeply suspicious of his reasons to carry on:-(

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LennyW said:
14 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Given the radically changed political landscape now, I would have thought that it was extremely unwise of Prayut (if the reports are true) to stand in opposition to the Thai Raksa Chart party ... 

From many of my Thai work mates today, they think exactly the same, they are deeply suspicious of his reasons to carry on:-( 

And many are DEEPLY suspicious of Thaksin & his cynical SELF-serving at any price to Thai society...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAG said:

Even more difficult to, umh, remove them by a coup to restore happiness and so forth!

Yes, there are grounds for real concern - what might at first glance seem like good news could be a case of 'out of the frying pan - and into an even hotter fire'!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

With this mornings developments I feel a real sense of jubilation.

it feels like a dark cloud has been lifted from Thailand

There's a sliver of hope - especially for westeners.

Still, look what happened in the eastern neighbour, wasn't exactly what hoped.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

There's a sliver of hope - especially for westeners.

Yes, there is hope - as long as Thaksin has not been motivated out of an overriding desire for personal revenge against Prayut, without thinking of the consequences for the Thai people ...

7 minutes ago, JAG said:

Even more difficult to, umh, remove them by a coup to restore happiness and so forth!

Well now, goodness gracious me, how extraordinary!

Was this the master plan all along? The pieces seam to fit: use the green buffoons to take over, change constitution, have direct control over parliament...ding ding ding. Big P must be fuming. I guess we'll have to create a new type of governing system: I call it a Democratic Autocratic Constitutional Monarchy. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

Yes, there is hope - as long as Thaksin has not been motivated out of an overriding desire for personal revenge against Prayut, without thinking of the consequences for the Thai people ...

I think that Thaksin his power over the princess will be zero. So I doubt she will be doing exactly what he wants. With luck this might change some things or it could be an other way for the old elite to retain power. Who knows, i have no idea lets wait and see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think that Thaksin his power over the princess will be zero. So I doubt she will be doing exactly what he wants. With luck this might change some things or it could be an other way for the old elite to retain power. Who knows, i have no idea lets wait and see.

Yes, Rob. Potentially, things are entering extremely dangerous waters. But if a certain law does NOT apply - then that really does bring a whole new dimension into the political game now ...

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lungstib said:

How can you claim to have brought political stability when you have in fact banned anyone but yourself from participating? Its easy to win a race when you are the only runner. And sadly, even though he has allowed the others to enter he has considerably handicapped them.

seems as if the handicapper might now somewhat handicapped …..oh what a shame

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

If Thais vote for it, then I'm all for it. Can't be worse than the previous coup-election cycle (famous last words...)

Yes, now as always - destiny lies in the hands of the Thais. They need to think really, really carefully about this one and exercise great foresight and discernment. 

Sadly, those are qualities for which the Thais are not especially renowned ...