Election a tipping point for ‘Thai-style democracy’

webfact

37 minutes ago, Toknarok said:

This extraordinary development is making headlines in the MSM throughout the World. The BBC has just had a section on it. Also see

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019

I see Pryut has now declared himself a candidate (according to the Asia Times piece).

Battle of the Titans.

Seconds out....ding, ding I'm loving it.

The tables have not only been turned they have been upended! Prayut gagged his opponents with military threats whilst avowing loyalty to the Royalty. now lets see how he handles this.

Maybe he'll write a song about it.

well his song might mirror "I did it my away" but with a far different ending ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, now as always - destiny lies in the hands of the Thais. They need to think really, really carefully about this one and exercise great foresight and discernment. 

Sadly, those are qualities for which the Thais are not especially renowned ...

Sadly, those are qualities for which the Thais are not especially renowned …  there it's sorted...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

happy birthday mine as well

anyway hold the white horse

they are trying to annul her nomination

"Do you hear the people sing..

It is the song of angry men.."

It'll be the day that Thailand officially joins the list of pariahs if they do..

Not even the Chinese will bother to save them.

38 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Looks like PPRP will be renamed as PPRIP after being decimated in the election. I give them nothing more than 20 seats. Prayut will end up as a biter old grandfather. As for Prawit. I suggest atonement in the temple for a long time.  

But, but, but,  all my watches I've been looking after for dead friends - what will become of them?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

That would depend on what you thought of your sister.

True, but the law in question does not require the insulted party to file a complaint. Anybody can file a complaint on behalf those protected by the law, and the courts deal with the matter from a guilty until proven innocent perspective.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SABloke said:

It's not "technically" applicable, but if you think anyone would take a risk you're dreaming. Remember, the law states that you may not insult the monarch, but it does not define what actions are deemed as insults. If you were rude to my sister, for example, I would feel insulted. Remember a dog called Tong Daeng? ????

imho If that truly is the case then there is no point having an election, just do an appointment. In a way it's a similar situation as the one presently Thailand is in (whether it would be a title or a gun). imo Once you have entered the arena of politics you are fair game or it isn't a fair game (see sentence above).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, to tell the truth, I'm feeling quite emotional. At least now (it may not last) we can have HOPE - hope for a better Thailand, building a better future for ALL its peoples.

I agree. This is a chance to get rid of Prayut, no more coups, Thaksin and Yingluck amnesty and back to prosperity.