Where to move in Thailand to get away from the smoke

4MyEgo

Been living here now permanently for 3 years and a bit and have enjoyed it.

The problem of late is all this smoke, i.e. you wake up in the morning and look out the window into the fields, yes we live in rural Thailand between Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon and there is smoke everywhere.

We have kids ranging from 4 to 15 and are concerned for their health and are seriously looking at moving to a coastal area to get away from the smoke.

The oldest ones have 1 years left in school, after this term finishes, then they have to go to another school to complete their last 3 years, so looking to go away for when they have the school break, i.e. March/April to check out a few places, and then in a year make the move.

Once they finish school at age 18 in 4 years, I will also look at moving back to Australia, i.e. if the area we relocate to doesn't stack up.

As always appreciate any feedback, although area has to be close to the beach and schools, major shopping centres can be within an hours drive and an airport can be the same, or a little further.

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

My answer was for the region of Surat Thani not for a specific place.

Yes of course, I have driven down further to through Krabi were we have stayed, and at Koh Lanta, Trang, and Songkhla, beautiful areas, but a little too close to the border for my liking with all the problems they have further down that way. 

10 minutes ago, Unify said:

I wouldn't trust anyone who says the air is clean, unless it's backed up with a meter. I was in Hua Hin in December for a few days and the AQI ranged from the 90s, to 160 or so.

That goes without saying, although its a starter, Krabi is nice, as are some of the islands around there, but I have to stay on the mainland to take the kids to a school.

The plan is to head to Hua Hin and then venture further from there, a lot of research is going to go into this, that said, the closer to the sea, the better the chances of reduced burning I would hope.

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for that, it is on our next holiday list believe it or not.

A friend I met up here in a bar that I frequent about 20 minutes away, moved about an hour further south of Hua Hin about a year ago, I think it's called Prachuap Khiri Khan and he swear by it, although says it's a bit far away from most things, but as he is single it suits him. He says he lives on a river hut where the river meets the ocean.

Will have to give him a buzz when we are down that way.

Prachuap is very nice indeed.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for that, it is on our next holiday list believe it or not.

A friend I met up here in a bar that I frequent about 20 minutes away, moved about an hour further south of Hua Hin about a year ago, I think it's called Prachuap Khiri Khan and he swear by it, although says it's a bit far away from most things, but as he is single it suits him. He says he lives on a river hut where the river meets the ocean.

Will have to give him a buzz when we are down that way.

That would be living too close to @kannot for my liking... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am seriously thinking about moving. i should have never come here. my first thought was to buy the cheapest bar on soi 6 in Pattaya and convert it into a bookstore and live upstairs. :clap2:

I think a religious reading room would be better than a book store ????

• Haha 1

Moved out of Central bkk  to a small island and left my condo empty 

I won't be going back until it rains or something because that air is toxic and I like to run 10-20km daily and i am not going to do it wearing a gas mask

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Corruption 101 said:

OP

You may have to move back to Australia any way.

Later this year the AUD will drop to circa 15 baht.

I think it will be heading north of 23-24, either way I can handle the drop if it eventuates, lucky me.