How Corrupt We Are

rooster59

5 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

mate, i'm sorry if you didn't get the humor in my original post. 

but just for you,  corruption is alive and well in Thailand.

I am sure it is still in Thailand and if you believe there is no corruption left in Thailand you are way out of touch with here. There are other folks that would agree still. Just look at the posts.

I thought you were joking. Haha you are serious.

Are you an alcoholic to in denial?

Edited by Solinvictus

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I agree. However, as a farang/falang living here, I have zero input or influence on corruption. When it starts to affect me adversely, I'll do something about it.

It's farang, vocally challenged locals and dull witted expats only say/use the word falang.

Your welcome.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, taichiplanet said:

how much did they have to pay to get such a low rating. ????

or is it a high rating? Same as air-cons, do you turn them up or down to get it colder?? These are great questions of life. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

i am as corrupt as much as the situation demands  ie  if i am asked to pay for a document which should be for free  i pay up to secure said document  am i condoning corruption by doing this?   or just going with the flow ?

All humans are corrupt. Its inherent.

The caucasian person with the well paid easy job and big bank account is too. He just hasn't had the opportunity yet

5 hours ago, pegman said:

Thailand would need to start paying the civil service a living wage to see any real improvement. That's unlikely to happen any time soon.

My wife is a civil servant...they are paid well enough and get medical care (for their parents and kids (and me!) and a nice pension at retirement age. Yes. she could get more in private industry but not everyone wants to do that. 

• Like 2

Which of you yanks is going to be the first to step forward and be the first to apologise, on behalf of your nation and president, for being corrupt as sheet? They are actually countries in SEA less corrupt than the mightiest most free country in the world. That's got to hurt for all those who actually think America is the greatest. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Which of you yanks is going to be the first to step forward and be the first to apologise, on behalf of your nation and president, for being corrupt as sheet? They are actually countries in SEA less corrupt than the mightiest most free country in the world. That's got to hurt for all those who actually think America is the greatest. 

America is the greatest and has been for some time. A very young country, look what it has given the world in science, entertainment, technology, medicine etc etc etc. 

If it's as bad as you think, why are so many trying to get their illegally?

And which country do you think is the greatest then?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you seriously think that giving corrupt greedy people a wage rise will stop their habits and greed?

Almost as naive as thinking a billionaire would make a good PM because he's already rich so won't be corrupt!

The societal and cultural changes required in a feudal hierarchy with ingrained corruption are much more complex than a few salary rises!

Agreed, probably best just create new jobs so things can get done like rubbish collection for a start.

Road development, training and education next.

6 hours ago, pegman said:

Thailand would need to start paying the civil service a living wage to see any real improvement. That's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Civil servants get about twice what their 'civilian' counterparts do, plus and health care and retirement benefits that are out of reach of the majority of regular Thai citizens.  Civil servant jobs oft go to those with the money to buy the position.  They are actively sought after.  I've no tears for civil 'servants' (whom are anything but servants to society).

• Like 1

So all the Thai bashers think it is better in the West ?

Where Democracy is said to live, but he/she with the most votes does not win ? Elections are decided by special interest groups and lobbyists before the first vote is cast. The winner a foregone conclusion decided by the most campaign contributions.

Where he/she who has the most money to hire the best lawyer wins ? Even if Guilty ?

Where visible minorities are - as a matter of routine - killed in the street with no one going to jail ?

Give your head a shake.

Remember the Golden Rule - He Who has the Gold makes the Rules

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Artisi said:

think the graph is a load of nonsense, a 10 year old school kid could organise a better way to present the somewhat dodgy facts. 

You’re clearly older and smarter than a 10 year old, so have at it.

We’re all waiting to see your masterpiece.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you seriously think that giving corrupt greedy people a wage rise will stop their habits and greed?

Almost as naive as thinking a billionaire would make a good PM because he's already rich so won't be corrupt!

The societal and cultural changes required in a feudal hierarchy with ingrained corruption are much more complex than a few salary rises!

That’s what they did in Singapore and Hong Kong, coupled with some decent expat enforcement action, and whilst it has not eliminated corruption, it’s certainly under control. Just look at all the action being taken about the faulty MTR station construction. Whilst that would also be investigated here, I doubt there would be much police enforcement.

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the Corruption Perceptions Index still fails to see the magnitude of the problem. :clap2:

Anytime an index is based on someones perception there is a lot of room for error. Specific metrics need to be scientifically measured for the poll to have any credibility.

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the Corruption Perceptions Index still fails to see the magnitude of the problem. :clap2:

And how do you know the "magnitude of the problem" ? :unsure:

The few examples in this thread are all for people breaking laws (agents for extensions, fines for traffic laws, …)

When is a "normal expat" - who respect laws - supposed to be confronted to corruption ?

13 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

i am as corrupt as much as the situation demands  ie  if i am asked to pay for a document which should be for free  i pay up to secure said document  am i condoning corruption by doing this?   or just going with the flow ?

Thai  culture , nothing new . 555