Thai Bank Account or Creditcard

You can open a Thai bank account without working in Thailand, there are plenty of reports on TV from members who successfully opened account whilst on a Non-Immigrant Visa or a Tourist Visa (getting an account opened whilst here on a visa exempt stamp will be difficult). Peruse this long-running thread for further information:

However, for the second part of your question you won't be able to get an unsecured credit card without a having already got a work permit, with proof of salary payment. Therefore, foreigners here who require a local credit card but don't have a work permit usually opt for a secured credit card whereby the credit line is approved with a margin against a blocked bank deposit.

9 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

You can open a Thai bank account without working in Thailand, there are plenty of reports on TV from members who successfully opened account whilst on a Non-Immigrant Visa or a Tourist Visa (getting an account opened whilst here on a visa exempt stamp will be difficult). Peruse this long-running thread for further information:

However, for the second part of your question you won't be able to get an unsecured credit card without a having already got a work permit, with proof of salary payment. Therefore, foreigners here who require a local credit card but don't have a work permit usually opt for a secured credit card whereby the credit line is approved with a margin against a blocked bank deposit.

So the Credit Card is really a Debit Card.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So the Credit Card is really a Debit Card.

Not really as you don't draw down the security deposit. The card works just like a "proper" credit card with interest and a minimum payment (which is 10% in Thailand).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mark5335 said:

I have had and still have a Krungsri credit card i have had it years and i have never worked here. I keep 800,000 in an account for immagration and Krungsri block a certain ammount of that for my credit card. That is how its done. Krungsri also do joint current accounts with an atm card fir me and my thai wife. Krungsri are the best. 

• Like 1

I don’t work in Thailand and have 3 credit cards including 1 for my wife.

It’s not easy, it helps if you know someone in the Bank that is switched on, to help you.

Also, show you are bringing a steady amount of money every month.

I am working offshore and at the time bringing in 500,000 baht every month.

The Ass. Bank manager upgraded my Platinum card to a Wisdom card (200,000 baht limit), as I wanted a Bank Safety Box. I asked to cancel my Platinum but they refused (I don’t pay any monthly charges and it has a 100,000 baht limit)

Over the years (I’ve been here since 2002) I was just visiting on a Tourist visa as I only needed the 28 days (my rotation).

It was quite funny to see the look on the Staff faces when they noticed I only had a tourist visa and a bank account with all the trimmings.

I would be interested to know how many foreigners have a Bank SAfety box, these boxes are like Rocking Horse Sh!t, they really didn't want me to have one. 

I can recommend the SCB.

I'm the second user on my partner's credit card account. I get my own card with the same limit.

My partner's income wasn't enough for a usable credit limit so we "topped" it up with a fixed deposit account.

The advantage of the account is, if you use it correctly, you can get about 55 days interest free credit and loyalty points.

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

I keep 800,000 in an account for immagration and Krungsri block a certain ammount of that for my credit card.

You may need to be careful. There were several reports last year about people who when they went to get their bank letter the "secured" amount was taken off the 800k leaving them short. This was after they had used the deposits in that way for several years.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

I have had and still have a Krungsri credit card i have had it years and i have never worked here. I keep 800,000 in an account for immagration and Krungsri block a certain ammount of that for my credit card. That is how its done. Krungsri also do joint current accounts with an atm card fir me and my thai wife. Krungsri are the best. 

I have an SCB account in my sole name, but my wife and I both have ATM cards for that account. 

Yes you can get an unsecured credit card, but bank needs to be convinced you are a good bet. We bank with the SCB and they were more than helpful in applying for a card for me, albeit with a Thb 200,000 cap. I am here on a retirement visa, but married to a Thai ( not sure if that makes a difference)

I have a Bangkok Bank Account, savings and deposit. I have two Citibank Credit Cards, Visa and Master Card. I don't have a work permit as I am retired. No security required and I have been here 25 years so I have an excellent record. There is an annual fee for the Citibank Cards. If I wanted to increase my B270,000 credit limit then I have to pay an additional insurance premium with my annual fee.

• Like 1

Hello

A card with  a Visa or Mastercard logo makes not a proper creditcard.

-no deposit

-no banc account at the issuing banc

-has a creditlimit per month

-has no interests when paid fully before date stated on the bill

-has the option to pay in fractions

Edited by dash

Yes. I have had one (four actually) for about six years. And one is even in my wife's name. Have a limit of 200k locked against an account.

Bangkok Bank. Quite easy actually.

Edited by JRG23

8 hours ago, helloagain said:

When you get your bank letter for immigration since you are using the Bt800K deposit method, does the Krungsri letter indicate Bt200K of the Bt800K is not accessible or something similar?

• Confused 1

I keep 900K in Bangkok Bank fixed deposit, of which 100K is used as credit card guarantee. The bank letter for immigration use showed 800k, which is the available balance. The 100k will be available 30-45 days after I have canceled my credit card.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1

Thanks.  That what I thought. 

So, for folks thinking about using their bank account for immigration "and" credit card guarantee purchases be sure to take into account the amount used for credit card purposes will or may be deducted from the amount available for extension of stay bank letter purposes. 

I said "will or may" as with This Being Thailand I expect it might vary among Thai banks as to whether the amount used to secure the card is reflected as non-available/reduces the available amount on the bank letter used for extension of stay.  I know would not want to take the chance of the non-available amount causing the available balance to show below Bt800K on the letter ....that would ruin a person's day by blowing his extension of stay renewal out of the water.

• 2 weeks later...