Just got pulled aside at Don Muang too many 60 day visas !!

18 minutes ago, Kasane said:

What are my options?

If you’re planning on living in Thailand full time.

1. Go back to your home country and get a new Non ‘O-A’ visa. You’ll get a new 1 year stay when you re-enter.

2. Transfer 800K to a Thai bank account in your name and apply for a Non ‘O’ visa at immigration; followed by a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

6 minutes ago, Kasane said:

I have a non-immigrant, O-A, M entry visa. Permission to stay from Aug 11, 18 to Aug 10, 19. Went abroad for a week in early Feb with re-entry permit. IO stamped 30 days tourist visa. 

Is my permission to say till Aug 10, 19 now invalid. If so, can I get it restored? If not, do I have to apply for retirement visa again?

IF you have a re-entry permit the IO made a mistake and you can get it corrected at an immigration office.

IF you don't have a re-entry you need to start again. See my last post.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

1. Go back to your home country and get a new Non ‘O-A’ visa. You’ll get a new 1 year stay when you re-enter.

2. Transfer 800K to a Thai bank account in your name and apply for a Non ‘O’ visa at immigration; followed by a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. I above not necessary if 2 is fulfilled?

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Just another warning on entry, nothing more. Pondering if it is a one-off, 'bad hair day' officer or a special, secret, Don Meuang-only instruction based on height, haircut and day of the week only serves to broaden the conjecture. They do seem to be all over these more at DMK than BKK so maybe the use of LCC's and border-hopping-by-air is a bit of a red-flag for them?

If the OP is indeed married to a local, he can probably expect to be badgered about getting the proper, long-term. multiple-entry bit of Thai immigration pedantry at some point of entry in the future? Then we can all sit around jawing about money in unsafe Thai banks, Transferwise beating High Street bank forex and fees, Immigration not seeing TW as forex, who fills in the TM30, the hardships of 90-day reporting and all the other stuff that bubbles up when someone wants to stay here longer but either can't be arsed or can't afford it.

What 90 day reporting hardship, that one has been beaten to death

1 hour ago, Kasane said:
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. I above not necessary if 2 is fulfilled?

Correct. They are two separate options.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The OP broke no rules.  He didn't even break the non-existent 180-day/year rule.  They don't appear to decide to confront people based on laws or "rules," at lawless entry-points - hence why I call them that.

Yeah... from what the OP has stated he’s just an average Joe arriving from Phnom Phen following the rules and getting picked on... But the flip side if that pancake is he has lived off/on in a Thailand for over 10 years, has a Thai wife and child... One wonders what popped up on the officers computer screen (she can see his full history) that might have set her off that the OP hasn’t bothered to share with us?...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Yeah... from what the OP has stated he’s just an average Joe arriving from Phnom Phen following the rules and getting picked on... But the flip side if that pancake is he has lived off/on in a Thailand for over 10 years, has a Thai wife and child... One wonders what popped up on the officers computer screen (she can see his full history) that might have set her off that the OP hasn’t bothered to share with us?...

Longer-stays in years past have definitely led to problems for some - even when returning after a long time-out.  Somehow, she made up some large figure of days, which must have been added up over years.  This is not listed as a reason for denial-of-entry in the Immigration Act, so there is no reason to add up days, or mention it.  If he had done anything which actually violated the Act, I doubt he would have been allowed to enter.

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The OP broke no rules.  He didn't even break the non-existent 180-day/year rule.  They don't appear to decide to confront people based on laws or "rules," at lawless entry-points - hence why I call them that.

They had a go at me at the Aranyaphratet/Poipet entry last month.

I had a non-o so as far as I can see I had the unrestricted right to enter.

Why are you here? (to see my kids, it's printed on the VISA)

How long are you staying? (90 days, it's printed on the VISA)

Where are you staying? (Chiang Mai, the address is on my entry card)

Where are you going after that? (wherever I want)

When are you coming back to Thailand? (next time I have a VISA)

These guys are tools of the highest order!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I came to Thailand nearly 17 years ago was using multi O visas for 10 years or so then a couple of retirement visas but the last 5 years but now spend the summers in the UK it was easy to pick up a 60 day tourist visa from Hull whilst passing by and get another in PP or Laos as I like a week away somewhere else.Maybe I should of got a multi O.
Never had any problems with visas in the past overstay etc.
Like I said to the wife I've got to a point where I'll take me money elsewhere [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

Put a Thai in a uniform and give him/her some power and how dare you point out their mistakes or question the validity of their actions.

What mistakes did this IO make? 

Her actions were perfectly valid so why should they be questioned by someone who doesn't like the authority that she has?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you wish to continue staying in Thailand for more than a few weeks/yr, you may need to consider always entering through the remaining law-abiding entry-points - all land-borders except Poipet/Aranyaprathet (for now, unless/until the law-breakers wreck those).

"If you wish to continue staying in Thailand for more than a few weeks/yr, you may need to consider always entering through the remaining law-abiding entry-points"

How exactly was the IO in question in this thread, who stamped him in, not abiding by the law?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, grego49 said:

When ever a read about people with troubles at airports its always "she said" i was told a long time ago to always get on a line at Imergration with a "he" at the desk,always less dramas,cheers

but he is she - 555

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

get and OA-multi and you can get almost two years out of it

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some guys display a sense of entitlement to their stay in Thailand... 

Imigration Checkpoints exist to weed out those cheating the system.. primarily those who may be on a Tourist / Type O / Education Visa but are actually working here... 

The way they do this is ask question and profile our answers....   

If you are coming and going so regularly, cannot prove you are working elsewhere...  it would be natural to be questioned a little more. 

My Wife is asked a handful of questions each and every time she enters the UK with me, it takes a couple of mins for the Immigration Officer to recognize that she is a genuine visitor.

Show attitude and it may make the IO look a little deeper.... don't answer the questions convincingly and it may make the IO look a little deeper...   Whats illegal about having to convince an IO that you are genuine?

How does any of that relate to my question?

"Whats illegal about having to convince an IO that you are genuine?"

Nothing, I didn't suggest that was illegal, what are you going on about?

11 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

Put a Thai in a uniform and give him/her some power and how dare you point out their mistakes or question the validity of their actions.

Applies to  farlangs ,  once in a uniform , they never  can take it off . 555

Edited by elliss

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Immigration Checkpoints exist to weed out those cheating the system.. primarily those who may be on a Tourist / Type O / Education Visa but are actually working here... 

You seem to mistake Thai immigration officers for professionals with certain skills that are required to serve in other countries' police forces. You allude to interrogation skills in particular, but in case you haven't noticed, most Thai immigration officers cannot hold any meaningful conversation in English.

Personally, I'd start with teaching them how to recognize fake passports (it's clearly hit and miss so far). Once they've mastered that crucial skill, maybe one day they can become proficient in "weeding out" other types of miscreants.

Edited by Caldera
Typo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no such rule. There is no rule that limits the amount of time in the country on tourist visa or visa exempt entries.

There is no such written rule. But unwritten possibly.  Best get metv from home country. Never heard problems with that as compared to setv

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Wife is asked a handful of questions each and every time she enters the UK with me, it takes a couple of mins for the Immigration Officer to recognize that she is a genuine visitor.

My brothers Thai girlfriend just got her tourist visa application denied. Meanwhile the US grants residency to about 1.5 million people every year, mainly based on family relationships. If that doesn't worry them I don't know why they'd be so worried about a Thai women traveling with her partner.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, genericptr said:

My brothers Thai girlfriend just got her tourist visa application denied. Meanwhile the US grants residency to about 1.5 million people every year, mainly based on family relationships. If that doesn't worry them I don't know why they'd be so worried about a Thai women traveling with her partner.

Where was application made?

44 minutes ago, stud858 said:

There is no such written rule. But unwritten possibly.  Best get metv from home country. Never heard problems with that as compared to setv

There is definitely an unpublished guideline issued to IO’s to scrutinise tourists staying more than 180 days per year. It’s been quoted at multiple checkpoints by multiple members for several years. It is why the visa exempt entry flag is set at 6 (6 x 30 = 180).

There have been one or two reports of hassles for METV holders too. I expect that will increase as immigration start to see more and more back to back METV’s being used to live in the country.

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is nothing to be corrected. Unfortunately you made a mistake, not immigration.

You don’t need to make a 90 day report. The need to report ended when you left in Feb. 

You're now a tourist with permission to stay for 30 days. That can be extended by 30 days if you need more time to sort out your problem.

Your options now depend on how long you plan to stay in the country. 

That happened to me once a long time ago. I had to go off to Penang to get a new visa and since then I have always kept on the right side of the rules.

My ears hurt the most. The IO at Suwannaphum was nice enough to point out the error but when I explained it to my wife she was less sympathetic and droned in my ear for weeks. Both of them were correct but I would far rather face the IO than my wife if I ever was stupid enough to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kasane said:

Yes, I did not have a re-entry permit. Assumed my stay in Thailand valid for one year from Aug 18 to Aug 19 and reporting every 90 days. But looks like a mistake. When I go for 90 days reporting can I get this corrected?

I don't think so. By leaving without getting a re entry permit your visa was cancelled as it was not a multiple entry type visa

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

When you say your wife, do you mean Thai wife. 

If so, why didn't you get a non-immigrant O visa? 

And a multiple entry non immigrant O based on marriage. No need for re entry permit on top then. Although you have to leave every 90 days but can return next, or even same, day I believe.

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Longer-stays in years past have definitely led to problems for some - even when returning after a long time-out.  Somehow, she made up some large figure of days, which must have been added up over years.  This is not listed as a reason for denial-of-entry in the Immigration Act, so there is no reason to add up days, or mention it.  If he had done anything which actually violated the Act, I doubt he would have been allowed to enter.

Long time out means nothing, he could be away for 2 years but the history would have shown up on the screen and flagged him accordingly.  Past history can be indicative of future stay in the country.  It is the IO's call to make, period.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Even many years ago when visa runs were standard practice I always tried to get a male officer.   I don't like women in uniform because power goes to their brain. Thai men don't want confrontations with farang if it can be avoided.Bad karma.

You see I have always felt the opposite. At the airport always looking for a woman IO as the queues seemed to move better. Uniforms don't make anyone better natured but I felt, outside of biological reasons, women put more effort into their job being a minority. 

11 hours ago, elliss said:

Applies to  farlangs ,  once in a uniform , they never  can take it off . 555

I agree, but with say a farang immigration officer if you were legit and had reason to question his/her mistake or interpretation of the rules, then i would say you might be at least be listened to

Edited by Kenchamp

8 hours ago, farangx said:

Long time out means nothing, he could be away for 2 years but the history would have shown up on the screen and flagged him accordingly. 

The IO cannot deny-entry for any reason not listed in the Immigration Act. 

8 hours ago, farangx said:

Past history can be indicative of future stay in the country.  It is the IO's call to make, period.

Unless his "past history" included overstays or other law-violations, it is irrelevant to the IO's consideration - if they were following the law. 

A longer-stay history w/o any criminal activity, including overstays, provides a track-record of law-abiding behavior - not anything negative.  A "new guy" is the unknown risk.