Marrying A Foreigner

Hi,

I'm a Canadian with a Thai work permit. I'm planning to marry a Canadian now in Canada, but am concerned when she comes to Thailand whether she can receive a special visa or be covered by my work permit so she doesn't have to constantly be making visa runs.

Also, is there a limit on the number of 90-day tourist visas someone can receive? During my years in Phuket I filled a passport with 30-day visa stamps, but don't know about 90-day visas.

Regards,

Jim

Hi,

I'm a Canadian with a Thai work permit. I'm planning to marry a Canadian now in Canada, but am concerned when she comes to Thailand whether she can receive a special visa or be covered by my work permit so she doesn't have to constantly be making visa runs.

Also, is there a limit on the number of 90-day tourist visas someone can receive? During my years in Phuket I filled a passport with 30-day visa stamps, but don't know about 90-day visas.

Regards,

Jim

She can get a 60 day tourist visa in Canada, and as soon as you are married you can convert that visa to a non-immigrant O visa at Immigration in Thailand. That can then be extended to match your work permit.

She can get a 60 day tourist visa in Canada, and as soon as you are married you can convert that visa to a non-immigrant O visa at Immigration in Thailand. That can then be extended to match your work permit.

Is that right? Have they changed the procedure that you can now change to Non-Imm?

About 2 years ago we had a guy in our office family's Non-Imm (dependent) visas expire while in US. They ended up coming in on 30-day visa wavier and then had to go to KL and get new Non-Imms before the extensions would be given.

TH

Thanks for that. It's a relief.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but is there a limit on the number of 90-day tourist visas that you can receive?

Up to the Immigration officer and how he feels. Surely you don't want her to have to border hop every few months.

will she be covered by my work permit?

you put as the topic.

Just came to my mind, hope you do not consider that she will be able to work, that would require her own work permit.

Up to the Immigration officer and how he feels. Surely you don't want her to have to border hop every few months.

No I don't, but my question, which I admit should have been posted separately, was really just for my own curiosity. Someone in Canada with Thailand experience recently told her that she could only get two 90-day tourist visas if we decided not to get married immediately because family could not come. I had never heard of that and wondered if it was true. It appears it might be.

Just came to my mind, hope you do not consider that she will be able to work, that would require her own work permit.

No, I understand. But, if she does look for work, is her being tied to my work permit in any way affect her ability to get a work permit or would she just have to leave the country and get an non-immigrant B like everyone else? That said, I'm not sure everyone needs a non-immigrant B to get a work permit, just every foreigner at my place of work.

No, I understand. But, if she does look for work, is her being tied to my work permit in any way affect her ability to get a work permit or would she just have to leave the country and get an non-immigrant B like everyone else? That said, I'm not sure everyone needs a non-immigrant B to get a work permit, just every foreigner at my place of work.

If she really would want to work, I believe immigration can change from her non - imm O to B. Sorry, not 100% sure.

But for sure she could apply outside with a Thai consulate for a B. This would than run independantly from your visa.

At forgeigner at your workplace? Yes, unless married to a Thai and changing this O to a B and WP.