Patriots owner Robert Kraft charged in Florida prostitution sting

rooster59

Patriots owner Robert Kraft charged in Florida prostitution sting

By Joseph Ax and Jonathan Allen

800x800 (2).jpg

FILE PHOTO: New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft raises the Vince Lombardi Trophy after winning Super Bowl LIII against the Los Angeles Rams at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S., February 3, 2019. Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports/File Photo

(Reuters) - Robert Kraft, owner of the Super Bowl-winning New England Patriots, was charged in Florida with soliciting prostitution after he was captured on video engaging in sex acts with a worker at a massage parlor, police said on Friday.

Kraft, 77, a billionaire businessman who built the Patriots into the National Football League's most dominant franchise, was swept up in a police sting targeting sex-trafficking in day spas and massage parlors in several Florida counties. The operation has led to hundreds being charged.

Kraft, who lives in Massachusetts but owns property in Palm Beach, Florida, is accused of visiting Orchids of Asia Day Spa in Jupiter, Florida, on two separate occasions to solicit sex. The two charges he faces are misdemeanors.

Authorities have video evidence depicting the acts in question after installing hidden cameras inside the spa, police officials said, adding that Kraft had been dropped off by a driver.

A spokesman for Kraft and the Patriots, Aaron Salkin, said in a statement, "We categorically deny that Mr. Kraft engaged in any illegal activity. Because it is a judicial matter, we will not be commenting further."

Kraft could face discipline under the league's personal conduct policy, which applies to team owners and prohibits "conduct detrimental to the integrity" of the NFL. In 2004, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay was suspended six games and fined $500,000 after he pleaded guilty to driving while on drugs.

In a statement, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said, "The NFL is aware of the ongoing law enforcement matter and will continue to monitor developments."

Kraft, who made his fortune buying out and building up his father-in-law's product-packaging business, is worth $6.6 billion, according to Forbes magazine.

Since Kraft bought the Patriots 25 years ago for $172 million (132 million pounds), the team has become the most successful franchise in the NFL, appearing in 10 Super Bowls and winning six titles, including Super Bowl LIII on Feb. 3.

The franchise is now worth an estimated $3.7 billion, according to Forbes.

Kraft's wife of many decades, Myra Hiatt Kraft, died in 2011 of ovarian cancer. He has not remarried.

Kraft is a close friend and supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump, who said told reporters in the Oval Office that he was "very sad" to hear about the charges.

"I was very surprised to see it," the president said. "He's proclaimed his innocence totally. And - but I'm very surprised to see it."

DAY SPA TARGETED

No one answered the phone at the Orchids of Asia Day Spa on Friday.

The spa's website advertises body treatments, facials and massages, such as the "Tokyo Ultimate 4 Hand." Standard services generally cost $59 for a half hour and $79 for an hour, police said.

The owner of Goodfella's Pizza across the street, Joseph Bompartito, 33, said he frequently saw young women who worked at the spa walking through the shopping plaza where it is located.

"They looked miserable, malnourished, very skinny, very pale with a depressed look on their face," he said.

He also recalled seeing Kraft getting into a chauffeured car at the plaza about two weeks ago, saying he waved to Kraft and the Patriots owner waved back out of the car window.

Kraft, widely considered one of the NFL's most powerful and influential owners, has become a hero to may Bostonians. Early this month hundreds of thousands of people lined the city's streets to see the owner and his team celebrate their sixth Super Bowl win.

Some top Massachusetts officials on Friday voiced deep concern over the charges.

Governor Charles Baker "finds these allegations deeply disturbing and condemns all acts of sexual exploitation," Anisha Chakrabarti, a spokeswoman for the governor, said in an email.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-23

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it with people?

Don't they think that sportsmen have the same likes as others?

Who do they think comprise the custom at the local cathouse?

People with fake morals are the biggest hypocrites of all.  Just another example of religious brainwashing and the morons that follow it.

54 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

<deleted> police entrapment...equipment setup to capture a senior citizen receiving a moment of pleasure...cops should be so proud...

Nothing to do with entrapment, only with finding evidence.

If the police had asked the girls to ask their customers for extra's it would be entrapment.

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

An old single guy wanting a happy ending. Leave him alone. 

Then vote and make prostitution legal in the US. Why leave him alone for laws he chose to break that a majority of god fearing US citizen think are just and right. 

1 minute ago, Snow Leopard said:

It is legal in some States no?

Not where he did it, otherwise he would have problems. I was being sarcastic. I am pro prostitution (if not forced of course). 

But seriously he got caught.. too bad for him. Same if i get caught here for something.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not where he did it, otherwise he would have problems. I was being sarcastic. I am pro prostitution (if not forced of course). 

But seriously he got caught.. too bad for him. Same if i get caught here for something.

Okay. I didn't pick up the sarcasm. Hard to live in Thailand if you are not pro-prostitution no? ???? 

I think that what happens between 2 or more consenting adults either paid or unpaid should stay between them. If we talk about the laws on drugs not working and needing to be reformed then take a look at the prostitution ones. Never really worked have they???? Oldest profession and all that.

Just now, Snow Leopard said:

Okay. I didn't pick up the sarcasm. Hard to live in Thailand if you are not pro-prostitution no? ???? 

I think that what happens between 2 or more consenting adults either paid or unpaid should stay between them. If we talk about the laws on drugs not working and needing to be reformed then take a look at the prostitution ones. Never really worked have they???? Oldest profession and all that.

I am atheist, that is why i put the part of god fearing there as its just a stupid to have laws based on religion. I agree about it being between them problem is that you got pimps and such and forced prostitution. In the Netherlands we have it legal but it still causes problems. The biggest problem is that criminals force people to work as prostitutes. That is actually my only problem with it.

Also I am pro drugs as long as you just use it and don't bother people with it (or operate vehicles when high). But that is just me i believe in personal freedom. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I am atheist, that is why i put the part of god fearing there as its just a stupid to have laws based on religion. I agree about it being between them problem is that you got pimps and such and forced prostitution. In the Netherlands we have it legal but it still causes problems. The biggest problem is that criminals force people to work as prostitutes. That is actually my only problem with it.

Also I am pro drugs as long as you just use it and don't bother people with it (or operate vehicles when high). But that is just me i believe in personal freedom. 

You know Holland as the lowest crime rate in Europe. Nothing is illegal that's why. ????

Forced prostitution and people trafficking is an issue for sure. 

5 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

You know Holland as the lowest crime rate in Europe. Nothing is illegal that's why. ????

Forced prostitution and people trafficking is an issue for sure. 

And the more you get it out of the darkness of illegality and immorality the less forced prostitution and people trafficking will occur.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

<deleted> police entrapment...equipment setup to capture a senior citizen receiving a moment of pleasure...cops should be so proud...

And what about invasion of privacy? Imagine if the roles were reversed and the police had put a secret camera into a massage room where women were receiving massages? Then we would have heard from #Me Too

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Given the obscene abuses that occur in and around the sex trade, I have difficulty drumming up sympathy for a John that gets caught, charged and exposed.

The obscene abuses are committed by the criminals who are engaged in the control of the women.  Because there is a demand then there will be a supply; making prostitution illegal increases the profits and attracts the organised crime.

The bible seems to encourage the abuse of women -

“Where are the men who came to you tonight? vBring them out to us, that we wmay know them.” Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, and said, “I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. xBehold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please."

Extracted from Genesis 19.

Kraft needs to pay more attention to managing his personal life.  He's got a hot 39 yo girlfriend who obviously was not doing her job.  Fire the gf, cut her out of the will, then replace her with a harem of high-class hookers.

Or, retire and move to Thailand.

I don't like the man that was charged. I don't his team. I don't like his politics. But what I like even less are laws that criminalize consensual sex between adults, whether commercial or not. I would respect him more if the charged man who is respected by many and is a personal friend of the "president" started funding a movement to legalize prostitution in all 50 states. Of course he won't. Enough with the hypocrisy. Of course the irony is that a man of his wealth could have easily avoided this by paying for exclusive private services or travel to a legal prostitution zone.  

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Given the obscene abuses that occur in and around the sex trade, I have difficulty drumming up sympathy for a John that gets caught, charged and exposed.

You have a point that if sex work is illegal, it is fair to charge the customers too. But it shouldn't be illegal for buyer or seller. Obviously, legalization, regulation, and taxation would greatly reduce incidents of human trafficking. 

Archived