Long-term foreigners - Staying or Leaving?

Long-term foreigners - Staying or Leaving?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. Foreigners who have 1 year permission to stay now, what are your plans by your next visa or extension of stay renewal date?

• Definitely leave before next visa or extension of stay date
    • Definitely stay in Thailand at the next visa or extension of stay date
    • May stay at next visa or extension of stay date if 800K baht can be acquired
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/25/2019 at 11:16 AM

4 minutes ago, Kenchamp said:

Many of us with retirement extensions are actually here because we are married with kids and have used the retirement  route to stay because it was always easier and were encouraged to do so by immigration.

I think for most I've met, that should read, "many retired guys come to Thailand because of the young desperate women" and get hooked in by one with stepkids.

They blow all their savings on the woman and her family, who won't ever contemplate selling her gold or father's pickup truck to help their loved husband get a visa easily.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's a points system for ALL drivers in Thailand regardless of nationality, just like many, many more civilized and developed countries have been doing for ages. Probably yours included.

You are such a dreamer, or plain biased, man.

It will be a system for "all drivers in Thailand" applied discriminatorily to foreigners. 

• Like 2

When my current Ext of Stay expires I will be leaving.  I was at Changi Airport a little while ago and I saw there were two flights to Hanoi and both looked to be full.  I guess Vietnam is becoming the go to destination?  I might have to take a trip to Hanoi soon.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Like others have stated the 24 H TM 30 form might be what will make me spend next winter somewhere ells. 

I never stayed the whole year in Thailand and I get my long stay visa in my home country.  So for me the medical certificate is the hardest part for my visa. Most MD’s look at me as I’m joking when I bring the form printed from the Thai Embassy. Elephantiasis, far gone syphilis and so on.

The fact that 90 day report isn’t enough and it seems like they enjoy forcing us to spend more and more time at immigration is a bit too much-

Can’t say I’m happy about traffic, farang prices, and a lot of other stuff that often complained about here on TVF.

But I like Thailand and you learn to live with it and I have many good friend’s here.

But the TM 30 might be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

I have a long stay visa so I can stay one more winter here on it if I want to.  But I’m free, no house or dependent here in Thailand so I will see how things are when it is time to leave for the winter again this year.

Edited by bokningar
Wrong spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

When my current Ext of Stay expires I will be leaving.  I was at Changi Airport a little while ago and I saw there were two flights to Hanoi and both looked to be full.  I guess Vietnam is becoming the go to destination?  I might have to take a trip to Hanoi soon.  

Should ease off after today, they were probably flying jn for the Trump-Kim summit. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, mikebell said:

There's always one who resorts to this line of Thai defence.

Most people leave their home country because they don't like the weather; the Government; taxation.  They may be seeking a new environment; a last adventure before the slow slide to the grave.

Thailand was it for me - I moved to be near my son; the UKP was riding high.  I could afford to live well here.

Since then I have fallen foul of Thai police corruption; the company house scam; my pension is halved; even the weather has changed - making the air unbreathable.  So yes I am looking at alternatives where the natives are friendly; where my presence is valued.  Vietnam banks are paying over 7% interest + they have made me feel welcome on my four visits.

Say what!!...7%. Which bank? I will move 30k usd tomorrow.

BTW there is no retirement visa to Vietnam. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

And they are?...

any country with a positive temperature and permanent residency/citizenship ? but extra conditions may apply individually, like short walking distances, or prostitutes as per your preferences.

i'll miss 7/11 & resturants at every corner, hoping i will find

equivalent wherever i move,  and i dread relocation

due to the pain it inflict, but i sure dont want to end up negotiating my stay, every year for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

Maybe there should be an option to vote for "changing to marriage visa". I think a lot of us, who are married, chose to go down the retirement route for ease; this may now change and we opt for the marriage route with less onerous financial obligations?

Yes, it's all a scam to get us guys who have dodged the sinsot and responsibility for the partner's debts! 

Edited by jacko45k

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

any country with a positive temperature and permanent residency/citizenship ? but extra conditions may apply individually, like short walking distances, or prostitutes as per your preferences.

i'll miss 7/11 & resturants at every corner, hoping i will find

equivalent wherever i move,  and i dread relocation

due to the pain it inflict, but i sure dont want to end up negotiating my stay, every year for the rest of my life.

Go on a cooking course and rid yourself of 7/11 snorts.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Isn't that a good thing to have?

please when you are free pop down to the private hospitals in bangkok or around this land eg bumrumgrad, samitev and bangkok hospitals etc and see the thousands of foreigners daily paying large amounts of bills for a variety of services. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Those who use govt-hospitals pay far more than locals, so it is we who subsidize them - not the other way around.

Not true. I pay nothing as I'm in the social security scheme. Some Thais are, some not, just like some aliens are and some not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Do you have any figures/stats on how much of this occurs?  A comparison to VAT taxes paid by expats would be instructive.

You cannot get anything done here at any hospital w/o paying, other than perhaps arriving unconscious and being stabilized.  Those who use govt-hospitals pay far more than locals, so it is we who subsidize them - not the other way around.  This also needs to be factored-in to any analysis of "subsidizing foreigners medical-bills."

If you are trying to do it in-person and honestly, there doesn't need to be an "error" to have problems at many offices.  The point of all the hoop-jumping / undocumented-requirements / odd "interpretations" is to create problems for honest applicants, since dishonest ones will just use immigration's agent-partners.

exactly if those agreeing with this nationalist crime mob lying about foreigners with no health care, just have to pop into the many private hospitals around this land including bumrumgrad, samitev and bangkok hospitals and see the thousands of foreigners daily paying large amounts of bills for a variety of services

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

TMB SET 50 Dividend pay me more than that in Thailand.

you can also get 5-6% neto after the 10% income tax deducted at source from the quarterly dividends on many thai property funds listed on the set.

15 minutes ago, humbug said:

please when you are free pop down to the private hospitals in bangkok or around this land eg bumrumgrad, samitev and bangkok hospitals etc and see the thousands of foreigners daily paying large amounts of bills for a variety of services. 

Why? I've been to all of them and one of my daughters was born in bamrungrad.

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

That's what you got from my post? 

Yes, that's what I got from your post that clearly suggested to me that you consider the new points system is only going to be applied to foreign drivers in Thailand. But I am open for correction if that was not what you meant to say.

55 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

You are such a dreamer, or plain biased, man.

It will be a system for "all drivers in Thailand" applied discriminatorily to foreigners. 

No dreams no bias. Just a pragmatism tainted by over 40 years of watching how the local's paint dries over here. I can see where that could be construed by some with lower mileage as being an apologist, virtue signalling and such. But personally, I don't think they hate us as much as some would think.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1