Songkran escape 2019

CLW

On 2/26/2019 at 2:10 PM, CLW said:
On 2/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, tlandtday said:
yeah but you are a 20 minute 100 baht boat ride from one of the best beaches anywhere in Railay why stay in Ao Nang?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Railay beach full of speedboats and longtails and quite far from being a nice beach.

Are you confusing it with Maya Bay which is a nice beach but was full of speedboats before they closed it to save the coral.  No speedboats sitting in Railay's beaches.  https://www.flightnetwork.com/worlds-best-beaches/top-50-worlds-best-beaches/railay-beach-tha/

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I like Songkran, and the kids love it. No traffic, plenty of parking. 

Siam Square is great,

You'll like it till one of your kids gets sprayed in the eye with water that someone's pissed in.

13 hours ago, JaiLai said:

You'll like it till one of your kids gets sprayed in the eye with water that someone's pissed in.

We've spent Songkran at Siam Square a least 10 of the 18 years I've been here for it. It's mostly nice people playing in the water, not drunk, a-hole westerners.

Is there a drop of water anywhere on Earth that someone hasn't pissed in at some point? I bet you get caught up worrying about the air pollution as well...

We've spent Songkran at Siam Square a least 10 of the 18 years I've been here for it. It's mostly nice people playing in the water, not drunk, a-hole westerners.

Is there a drop of water anywhere on Earth that someone hasn't pissed in at some point? I bet you get caught up worrying about the air pollution as well...

Your kids - up to you.

Oh I don’t think the water from my well has been pissed in but I’ll send you a sample after songkran to check, you’ll be familiar to the taste by then - lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Besides from spending a few days at the beach we probably would consider spending a few day somewhere else on the mainland of Thailand after Songkran.
I had Chiang Mai in my mind but after reading the news about the terrible air pollution we might go somewhere else.
Maybe a big lake or reservoir?
I would guess near Kanchanaburi is also hot and polluted during dry season?
How about the lake north of Phuket?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 8:22 AM, vinniekintana said:

Penang...much closer

Agreed. We did that a couple of years ago and also went to Cameron Highlands where it is nice and cool and the air is fresh this time of year (unlike now in Northern Thailand). Should do it again.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:26 AM, JaiLai said:

Oh yea that happens like ALL the time. Another urban myth about Songkran. Haters gotta hate.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:40 PM, Yellowtail said:

You are right. And as I mention every year Silom is nice too. Many families, old, young and everyone is enjoying and rarely a drunk. I am truly starting to believe that more than 75% of the yearly Songkran haters hate it because of all the “ group mentality” but never experience it ( or they did in 1997 lol) That brigade is out to moan. Or their friends , friend brother got cold water poured over his head ( I actually seek out the ice water sometimes, it’s refreshing) I have never in my life read so much BS from so many old men about water getting sprayed on them. As I’ve also said before I can just see some of these fools having a complete break down when they are out on their moter bike somewhere and it starts to rain!!!  Mommy mommy help me!  It’s rainjng out!! Help me!! Then there are the other ones who INSIST on being able to ride their bikes everywhere at Songkran and complain about it even though they have ONE YEAR to plan ahead. ( like rent a car you moron) 

Dear OP let your friend participate in Songkran fun and have a good memory THEN go to Koh Chang. He will have a blast!

On 2/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, malibukid said:

Da Lat Vietnam

Beautiful,,mountains, cool. Blue Moon hotel with pool $50, very nice rooms. No aircon because you don't need it! University town. 

Easy visa on arrival. Cheap 45 min flight from HCMC to Dalat, or direct flight from Bangkok. 

Good recommendation malibukid. 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:18 AM, shy coconut said:

Are there any major road closures in Pattaya on the 19th?

I'm in town force couple of days and heading up to Bangkok early afternoon.

I understand the 19th is the busiest day of the lot.

It will be my 1st time there for Songkran and after reading about the shenanigans,

I am expecting some kind of watery apocalypse!

PS is it ok for a 54 year old man to wear a baseball cap, peak forward?

Forget it, the roads are gridlocked on the 19th. It once took me 3 hours to get from Sukhumvit to Pattaya Tai.

Archived