UK's Labour says it will back call for second Brexit referendum

webfact

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Remain suppprters are willing to put it to the test, and topically Labour are offering the chance to do so.

You however are reluctant to do so.

If you are not willing to test the number don’t expect the rest of us to believe the number is correct,

Read my previous post 53 and 56

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Of course Remainers want another attempt to win, because they lost the first time. 

Would they still be calling for a second referendum to see if anyone had changed their minds if they'd won the first one? Of course not. It's simply a bunch of sore losers who are unwilling to accept the result of the largest democratic vote in British history. Leave would romp home in a second vote, but they don't need to because they won the first one.

If Remain had won I would have accepted the result. It's telling that the so called "intellectuals" on the Remain side lack the maturity to do the same.

In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way.’

(Nigel Farage)

Though to to be fair, I’m sure he wishes he could put his gob into reverse on that one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I have had a flashback. I thought this was a thread from 2016 after the leave campaign won. The same phrases resurfacing. Come on Chomps you can do better than that!

It was a flashback - Farage’s words right out of his own mouth.

As true today as it was back then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Britain's opposition Labour Party said on Monday it would back calls for a second referendum on Brexit if parliament rejects its alternative plan for leaving the European Union..."

Good for them!

Brexiteers will (rightly) say that a referendum has already occurred and ignoring it is counter to good Democracy, and they are right. However, the UK is truly, truly in the proverbial gap between a rock and a hard place, and politics is the art of the possible. 

To those who believe that leaving the EU without a transition agreement in place is okay, I would argue that the politicians have a duty, somewhat similar to the Hippocratic oath of doctors, of doing the least harm. A 'Hard Brexit' is the equivalent of leaping off a tall building and making landing arrangements on the way down.

It isn't very democratic, it is far, far, far from the ideal solution, but it is the least worst idea.

Put it all on the table (yes, again) and let the people decide (yes, again).

Another referendum would be greater democracy, there's nothing at all undemocratic in offering more democracy.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Loiner said:

I’m all for populist nationalist movements. They are very popular with the majority of people.
Yeah, that libertarian stuff never really does much good for most of us, only those with some sort of axe to grind. Those liberals are usually very illiberal when it comes to views other than their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If populist nationalist movements were actually very popular with the majority we would see them elected, however there is not one single populist nationalist MP currently in UK parliament, get it now?

• Like 1