UK's Labour says it will back call for second Brexit referendum

webfact

UK's Labour says it will back call for second Brexit referendum

By Kylie MacLellan and William James

2019-02-25T200648Z_1_LYNXNPEF1O1KG_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-LABOUR-LAWMAKER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party, gives a speech at the EEF National Manufacturing conference, in London, Britain, February 19, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's opposition Labour Party said on Monday it would back calls for a second referendum on Brexit if parliament rejects its alternative plan for leaving the European Union.

With just over a month until Britain is due to leave the bloc on March 29, Prime Minister Theresa May is seeking changes to her exit deal in order to break an impasse in parliament.

Labour's decision could damage her hopes of winning support for a revised deal in a vote she has promised by March 12, by attracting those who would have backed her agreement in order to avoid a no-deal exit but who would prefer a second referendum.

Parliament is due to debate and vote on Wednesday on the next steps in Britain's tortuous departure from the EU, and lawmakers are set to offer proposals, or amendments, which could include demanding the exit deal is put to a public vote.

Labour said it would put forward an amendment calling on the government to adopt its Brexit proposals, which include a permanent customs union with the EU and close alignment with the bloc's single market.

"If Parliament rejects our plan, then Labour will deliver on the promise we made at our annual conference and support a public vote," Labour's Brexit spokesman Keir Starmer said.

Parliament is not expected to back Labour's Brexit plan and it remains unclear whether there is a majority in parliament in favour of holding a second referendum.

"We're in a very volatile situation. We are in the middle of a political crisis and a constitutional crisis... It's difficult to say at any one point what feelings are going to be two or three weeks down the line," a Labour spokesman told reporters.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has been under pressure for some time to support a second referendum. Last week, eight referendum-supporting lawmakers quit the party, in part owing to frustration over his failure to back another vote.

The prospect of holding a second vote poses a dilemma for Corbyn: while many of the party's members and supporters fervently back a so-called People's Vote, others simply want Britain to leave the EU as soon as possible.

BACK TO 'SQUARE ONE'

Labour said it would support a bid by its lawmaker Yvette Cooper to give parliament the legal power to force May to delay Brexit by seeking an extension to the Article 50 negotiating period.

"We are committed to also putting forward or supporting an amendment in favour of a public vote to prevent a damaging Tory (Conservative) Brexit being forced on the country," Corbyn was due to tell a meeting of his lawmakers on Monday, his office said.

"One way or another, we will do everything in our power to prevent no deal."

Brandon Lewis, Chairman of May's Conservatives, said another popular vote would "take us back to square one" and Labour had gone back on its promise to respect the 2016 referendum result. That went 52-48 percent in favour of leaving the EU.

The amendment on a public vote may not come at this week's vote in parliament however. The Labour spokesman said the wording and timing of the amendment was still to be decided.

A proposal by Labour lawmakers Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson that May's deal be put to the public in another referendum will not be put forward for a vote in parliament until May brings her agreement back for approval.

"There's no turning back for Jeremy now," Kyle said.

Labour lawmakers at the meeting on Monday were split in their reactions.

"I still have deep reservations about the idea of having another referendum. I think it's going to be deeply divisive," lawmaker Stephen Kinnock said.

Labour foreign affairs spokeswoman Emily Thornberry told ITV a second referendum should present a choice between May's deal and remaining in the EU, but the Labour spokesman directly contradicted her, saying that would be an unacceptable choice.

The Remain Labour campaign group, which wants to stop Brexit, said the announcement was "a significant step forward".

"A second referendum was only ever possible with the votes of Labour Members of Parliament and we are now on the verge of making this happen," founder Andrew Lewin said in a statement.

"We are not complacent, but we are closer tonight to a People’s Vote than we have ever been."

(Editing by Kevin Liffey, Catherine Evans and Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-26

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Britain's opposition Labour Party said on Monday it would back calls for a second referendum on Brexit if parliament rejects its alternative plan for leaving the European Union..."

Good for them!

Brexiteers will (rightly) say that a referendum has already occurred and ignoring it is counter to good Democracy, and they are right. However, the UK is truly, truly in the proverbial gap between a rock and a hard place, and politics is the art of the possible. 

To those who believe that leaving the EU without a transition agreement in place is okay, I would argue that the politicians have a duty, somewhat similar to the Hippocratic oath of doctors, of doing the least harm. A 'Hard Brexit' is the equivalent of leaping off a tall building and making landing arrangements on the way down.

It isn't very democratic, it is far, far, far from the ideal solution, but it is the least worst idea.

Put it all on the table (yes, again) and let the people decide (yes, again).

I have been expecting a second referendum ever since leave won the first and then Theresa May won the PM contest, so to ensure this happens.

Whilst some remainers will be salivating and getting into a frenzy of another vote I would be careful what you wish for.

Even if remain won this time and knowing the EU and those that bank roll it (I wouldn't take cheating of the table) the UK will be in a political stalemate.

Politicians, who already have such a low opinion by the public will have to have  GE soon. many will be out. Pro Brexit parties will come more popular. MEP's will also still be represented, so more populist in the EU parliament.

The cries for a 3rd or even 4th referendum would be called for and could be a political parties agenda.  Either way the EU would have the UK as a 'thorn in their side' for many years to come.

The best option IMHO would be to let the UK leave and then the UK could see how prosperous the EU was and the UK would want to join again, accepting EU wholly and with the Euro.

This would not happen in my lifetime and I feel the UK would prosper without the EU and its 20 plus "hangerons".

Very dangerous ground here. I like Labour's policy ideas in general, I also have a lot of time for Corbyn, but this sounds like jumping on a bandwagon for me.

At the time of the first referendum it is impossible to argue that the EU was in good shape, the undocumented migrant crisis was in full swing and the EU simply couldn't control it.

Now that issue is resolved somewhat, the EU looks more stable, however I have found their leadership's stance on negotiatioms galling in the extreme.

A no deal Brexit is a huge leap into the unknown, but i can't see how it is much worse than been in a constant limbo, with politicians squabbling and looking all at sea trying to reach a consensus.

It's an absolute embarrment right now

Jezza I would do anything to stay in power. He has finally crumbled. Possibly due to the anti-Semitic calls in his party.

Either way a man who has been against the EU and now supports them. How could anyone trust a leader like that! I wonder what the 60% plus of Labour voters will do who voted in the last referendum.

I know, they probably have all died if you listen to some on here.

This would be the final nail in the Brexit coffin. Everyone could watch the biggest idiocy in modern politics die. The people would finally have a say and free themselves from the shackles of some undemocratic terrorists who hold the country as hostage through a manipulated opinion poll and their accomplices in the government. Would love to see Jacob’s, Boris’ and Nigel’s face when people stand up and vote in a landslide victory to remain. 

49 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I know, they probably have all died if you listen to some on here.

Agree, that this is a really silly argument put forward by some. One could apply the same logic to any election ie that new people have reached voting age and other voters had died, so best have a new election every year (month?).

1 minute ago, DoctorG said:

Agree, that this is a really silly argument put forward by some. One could apply the same logic to any election ie that new people have reached voting age and other voters had died, so best have a new election every year (month?).

So you only have one GE in the UK and that’s it? May will be PM forever that means? What’s the reason for that? 

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

So you only have one GE in the UK and that’s it? May will be PM forever that means? What’s the reason for that? 

Either you completely misunderstood my post or you are just being silly.

Of course old Jezza will say anything to try and gain some traction towards LAB gaining power. He can say what he likes, but as he’s not the current government, it’s just party political flak.

What it really is about is trying to keep his MPs in his party. His chattering class MPs are not from Momentum and desperately want to Remain. Nine have already jacked because he would not back them for a second referendum, so this is to prevent anymore deserters.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

25 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

This would be the final nail in the Brexit coffin. Everyone could watch the biggest idiocy in modern politics die. The people would finally have a say and free themselves from the shackles of some undemocratic terrorists who hold the country as hostage through a manipulated opinion poll and their accomplices in the government. Would love to see Jacob’s, Boris’ and Nigel’s face when people stand up and vote in a landslide victory to remain. 

and then you wake up

Brexit is getting complex and interesting now.

Several amendments will be debated this week

1) Corbyn - support soft Brexit with SM and CU or go to the people

2) Yvette Cooper/Oliver Letwin. If no deal agreed by 13 March, parliament takes control and implements A50 extension of indeterminate length

3) Kyle. Go with May's deal but follow with ratification by referendum. May's deal or remain

4) A N other Tory. Fixed 2 month extension

5) EU suggestion. Delay until 2021 to get new trade deal in place and thus avoid the backstop.

Interesting times. Naturally, MPs don't want Brexit (apart from the money grubbing ERG bastards) but they don't want to be blamed for doing the right thing!

I posted this on another thread but more appropriate here as it discusses multiple options in play. It's a point of order really! Have I broken a rule? If so, will delete.

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Complete rubbish

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Britain's opposition Labour Party said on Monday it would back calls for a second referendum on Brexit if parliament rejects its alternative plan for leaving the European Union..."

Good for them!

Brexiteers will (rightly) say that a referendum has already occurred and ignoring it is counter to good Democracy, and they are right. However, the UK is truly, truly in the proverbial gap between a rock and a hard place, and politics is the art of the possible. 

To those who believe that leaving the EU without a transition agreement in place is okay, I would argue that the politicians have a duty, somewhat similar to the Hippocratic oath of doctors, of doing the least harm. A 'Hard Brexit' is the equivalent of leaping off a tall building and making landing arrangements on the way down.

It isn't very democratic, it is far, far, far from the ideal solution, but it is the least worst idea.

Put it all on the table (yes, again) and let the people decide (yes, again).

The Labor leadership have said this only to try and stop more MP's leaving their party in frustration and anger. They don't believe parliament would support any motion for a second referendum - not enough support across the house. So they can promise this knowing it's not likely to ever happen. According to the BBC analyst.

Corbyn is trying to get his own way whilst keeping his party together; in much the same way May is.

Neither give a fig for the electorate, the country and it's future.

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The people would finally have a say - joker!

50 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Brexit is getting complex and interesting now.

Several amendments will be debated this week

1) Corbyn - support soft Brexit with SM and CU or go to the people

2) Yvette Cooper/Oliver Letwin. If no deal agreed by 13 March, parliament takes control and implements A50 extension of indeterminate length

3) Kyle. Go with May's deal but follow with ratification by referendum. May's deal or remain

4) A N other Tory. Fixed 2 month extension

5) EU suggestion. Delay until 2021 to get new trade deal in place and thus avoid the backstop.

Interesting times. Naturally, MPs don't want Brexit (apart from the money grubbing ERG bastards) but they don't want to be blamed for doing the right thing!

I posted this on another thread but more appropriate here as it discusses multiple options in play. It's a point of order really! Have I broken a rule? If so, will delete.

multiple options in play - as long as none of them respect the referendum result!

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Well. The TV show has one born every minute - so 1440 referendums a day?

Archived