You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Waitress kept all the change

Golden Triangle

Just now, Bullie said:

If he would have provided a 1000 baht note change for a 500 baht note would probably have appeared. It is a situation I try to avoid here in Thailand, happened a few times to me. Had to REALLY show my 200 cm, 150 kilo angry farang face and voice to get the remainder back out of her stealing little paws.

Well it has never happened to me in the 50 plus years I have eaten at restaurants here.  Short change in bars a few times but not when eating.  For me it is the change making place so always pay with large bill.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It isn't a problem just say 'Where is my change?"

It sure is a problem, we all know that they have to give the change back....it's also a problem that the waiters don't even carry a wallet to give the change straight away. Do you know why that is? Same reason why IKEA uses automated payment machines.

Agreed, that's cheeky and IME, seems out of place for Thailand in general.  The usual places places I hang out in around my area know I'm a serial tipper, usually 30 to 40 Baht, but they never presume.  Always return the change and leave it to me.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

U.S waitresses dont get paid a salary though , their income solely comes from tips and a tip is expected/required 

well they do get paid a salary at least minimum wage but if it isn't enough it should be the restaurant paying a living wage not customer... restaurants are generally quite profitable

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

The owner is a really nice guy, he said he would have a word, I only usually use the place when the Mrs is visiting her family as it's within easy walking distance from where I live.

I take your point about the education, perhaps a tad snide from me, but I was trying to reinforce my point because some on here seem to think that poor wages equates to keeping whatever they deem reasonable without considering how the customer feels, her actions could be costing her boss money through lost custom, as I stated in my OP I'm not a CC so the amount doesn't come into it. ????

I'd have taken the issue up with the waitress herself, i.e. asked her where the change is. By telling her boss she may be fired, and her job may be a lifeline for her and her family. I'd at least give her the chance to explain and apologise before getting her in trouble. 

Personally I wouldn't quibble over such a small amount of money (small amount for a farang anyway), but I do understand the principle here. 

57 minutes ago, Bullie said:

If he would have provided a 1000 baht note, change for a 500 baht note would probably have appeared. It is a situation I try to avoid here in Thailand, happened a few times to me. Had to REALLY show my 200 cm, 150 kilo angry farang face and voice to get the remainder back out of the stealing little thai paws.

Your angry farang face is 200cm and 150kg? Must be a nightmare finding sunglasses that fit

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

The owner is a really nice guy, he said he would have a word, I only usually use the place when the Mrs is visiting her family as it's within easy walking distance from where I live.

I take your point about the education, perhaps a tad snide from me, but I was trying to reinforce my point because some on here seem to think that poor wages equates to keeping whatever they deem reasonable without considering how the customer feels, her actions could be costing her boss money through lost custom, as I stated in my OP I'm not a CC so the amount doesn't come into it. ????

Well there's a good chance she firmly believes, because she's heard it from numerous others she sees as knowledgeable, that all farang have unlimited money and don't mind.

Even goes further, the loudmouth know all full-on middle aged ladyboy in my Thais son's wive's family insisted, when my son married that when a farang or farang's son marries the entire family must now be paid 50,000Baht a month each for life. Ladyboy was insistent, my son had to get a lawyer to talk to the ladyboy and tell him there is no law, nothing like it. 

Further, the ladyboy had already convinced all the family to get ready for their big money to start, and several were very pissed off with my son and told him so, when no money materialized. 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

U.S waitresses dont get paid a salary though , their income solely comes from tips and a tip is expected/required 

Why ?

i find this so wrong when i'm there

if they cant get any other job then that's their problem

I usually tip, but being English, not the 20% or whatever. it depends on what change i have or what kind of place or service

I have often watched the tips given, and often wish i could get paid as much for so little

Maybe they should get a minimum wage and not rely on tips

1 hour ago, bbko said:

How hard is it to call the waitress over and ask "Where's my change?" Has common sense gone out the window?

I have never had to ask for my change in the many countries that I have worked in, lived in and travelled to/through, I don't think I should have to now.

Some of the countries I have lived/worked/travelled through,

UK

Northern Ireland

Isle of Man

Austria

Belgium

France

Germany

Italy

Greece

The former Yugoslavia

Denmark

Holland

Spain

Portugal

Holland

USA - Hawaii, Colorado, New York, Arizona & Florida

And probably a load of others I can't think of, but hopefully you get the picture.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

She should have given you the change.

Apart from that I think it's interesting that you start a thread on TV about 35THB. Is it really so important?

If you read and comprehended the OP you would see that I already said I don't know how many times, it's not the monetary value it's the principle - sheesh some people.

13 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have never had to ask for my change in the many countries that I have worked in, lived in and travelled to/through, I don't think I should have to now.

Countries I have lived/worked/travelled through,

UK

Northern Ireland

Isle of Man

Austria

Belgium

France

Germany

Italy

Greece

The former Yugoslavia

Denmark

Holland

Spain

Portugal

Holland

And probably a load of others I can't think of, but hopefully you get the picture.

I too have traveled the world and visited and/or lived in many countries over the past decades, and while I don't remember the wait staff keeping any of my change, I surely would of spoken up and asked for it if it happened.

Any old-timers know when tipping became prevalent?  40 years ago, I don't recall anyone tipping in any local restaurants, unless someone maybe had the hots for a cute waitress.  Back when I made $125 USD per month, I certainly wasn't going to spread the wealth.

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Any old-timers know when tipping became prevalent?  40 years ago, I don't recall anyone tipping in any local restaurants, unless someone maybe had the hots for a cute waitress.  Back when I made $125 USD per month, I certainly wasn't going to spread the wealth.

its the farangs, they have made a rod for their own backs with the tipping, same with the caddies bar girls short time girls. throwing their money around cos they wanted to be popular with the girls.

11 hours ago, bbko said:

How hard is it to call the waitress over and ask "Where's my change?" Has common sense gone out the window?

Totally agree .....  4 pages over 35 baht.

Folk's don't seem to think logically anymore ....  It's irrelevent why she kept the change as that's another story ... the solution to the problem at hand would have been to ask for your change.

10 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Some of the countries I have lived

UK

Northern Ireland

Isle of Man

Austria

Belgium

France

Germany

Italy

Greece

The former Yugoslavia

Denmark

Holland

Spain

Portugal

Holland

Have you always found it difficult to settle down .... 

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

That's 35 baht .....  just terrible  !!   go to the police.    :shock1: 

As Golden Triangle indicated, it ain't about the 35 baht. The bitch beat him out of the change that rightfully belonged to him. What I would have done ( and HAVE done a few times in the past ) was, stand there at the counter or table and yell LOUD AND CLEAR...HEY, WHERE'S MY CHANGE?....in Thai if possible, and also in English, and any other language I knew. AND, I would have just stood there until I got my change, or the boss came along, and we got the matter straightened out. Even if it was an innocent mistake on her part, she should have known better. If he had done this, I bet she wouldn't have tried to stiff the next customer she served.

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it is the principal that the waitress automatically decided that she would keep the 35 baht, and yes I know that waitresses don't get paid a fortune, that's her problem for failing in her education or life in general not mine, if she were an intelligent sort of person she wouldn't be waiting tables would she ? It is the assumption that she is entitled to keep the change, nothing more nothing less.

some intelligent people wait tables as a matter of fact some have undergraduate degrees. might argue intelligence in her favor as she is not a tvf member condescending on others

Archived