Waitress kept all the change

Golden Triangle

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was in 'Foxy Lady' a few weeks back (gogo bar), drinks were 160bht, my pals and I only had 100bht notes, they tried to keep the change but my pal went to the cashier and got us all our 40bht change.

It isn't a problem just say 'Where is my change?"

RIGHT ON 100% I just mentioned something to that effect a minute ago.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, catman20 said:

its the farangs, they have made a rod for their own backs with the tipping, same with the caddies bar girls short time girls. throwing their money around cos they wanted to be popular with the girls.

I was fortunate to find the Panyang Tong hotel in BKK many years ago.  BJ and a lay for $4.50, but that was when the exchange rate was 20 Baht to the dollar.  Up-country you could get happy for maybe 20 Baht.  Seriously. 

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

U.S waitresses dont get paid a salary though , their income solely comes from tips and a tip is expected/required 

So...whose fault is that? Not the customer's for sure. But I know where you're coming from. I have a young friend in Montreal, Canada who has to pay the head Bellhop at an upscale hotel $600.00 to work as a bellhop for the weekend...not a special weekend, ANY weekend.

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it is the principal that the waitress automatically decided that she would keep the 35 baht, and yes I know that waitresses don't get paid a fortune, that's her problem for failing in her education or life in general not mine, if she were an intelligent sort of person she wouldn't be waiting tables would she ? It is the assumption that she is entitled to keep the change, nothing more nothing less.

Yep, know exactly where you're coming from. Umm, but don't forget, many famous entertainers and movie stars started out waiting tables.

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have never had to ask for my change in the many countries that I have worked in, lived in and travelled to/through, I don't think I should have to now.

Some of the countries I have lived/worked/travelled through,

UK

Northern Ireland

Isle of Man

Austria

Belgium

France

Germany

Italy

Greece

The former Yugoslavia

Denmark

Holland

Spain

Portugal

Holland

USA - Hawaii, Colorado, New York, Arizona & Florida

And probably a load of others I can't think of, but hopefully you get the picture.

What, never been to Oz, no tipping there,everyone,s well paid,especially the pensioners!!

16 hours ago, stud858 said:

I often think that if I had to live the life of a poorer Thai that I'd just kill myself.

But of course that doesn't happen often because the poor Thai grew up poor. It's normalised for them.

I'm hoping the owner doesn't give her too much of a hard time.

May I suggest a pay rise in exchange for promise of returning change promptly.

You were doing OK until:

"May I suggest a pay rise in exchange for promise of returning change promptly."

16 hours ago, Spidey said:

They should take it up with their employer, not take it out on the customer. Would be against the labour laws in most civilised countries.

Well Spidey, if we're gonna talk about other countries ( Canada was my expertise )...if a dude "in a position" at a swanky joint comes up to you and sez, "show up for work Friday morning with a thousand bucks in your pocket. I will exchange your pocket for a uniform. I will give you the key to the lockup containing every type of expensive booze available. I will give you the name and phone number of every 'respectable,' close mouthed whore within twenty minutes ride of here. I will give you the phone number of a number of taxi drivers who can help you with 'other stuff' if you mention my name. If you don't walk away on a Monday morning with at least four grand in your pocket, I will return your $1000.00." Tell me Spidey, would you actually think about going to the Labour Board under such conditions?

32 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I was fortunate to find the Panyang Tong hotel in BKK many years ago.  BJ and a lay for $4.50, but that was when the exchange rate was 20 Baht to the dollar.  Up-country you could get happy for maybe 20 Baht.  Seriously. 

sounds like a trip up- country is on the cards 555

34 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Not maybe, but definitely.

A friend was on a day out with a local Thai cop. Out in the sticks, 20 Baht. Only thing is - it was nearly thirty years ago!

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect the odd amount given indicated it was tip.  Wrong for her to assume and you mention happening before so perhaps not - but believe if you provided 1k or 500 baht change would have appeared.  

100% this reason.

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

hat's her problem for failing in her education or life in general not mine, if she were an intelligent sort of person she wouldn't be waiting tables would she ?

21 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

this is more a question of right and wrong in my book,

21 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

but this is more a question of right and wrong in my book,

Wow... there are circumstances in life that often dictate a persons path... and not due to their failings... my wife was from a poor family and went to work at age 12 as a nanny and maid to help put food on the table for her younger sisters... yes, she worked her way up into the family business, but sometimes circumstances come into play... not everyone who works as a waitress does this forever nor does it define their intelligence... [and besides, what would you do if there were no waitresses?] 

Sounds like your "book" was written in a frame of affluence... and in another country. 

all of that said, you are correct that she was wrong not to return all of the change... the tip is your option. Unless someone else at the table said something to lead her to believe that it was ok to keep the change... do you speak Thai? Did you hear every word spoken or gesture made? 

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

U.S waitresses dont get paid a salary though , their income solely comes from tips and a tip is expected/required 

Not correct. All get a minimum hourly rate although the minimum wage for restaurant/agricultural workers is lower than the Federal Minimum Wage. Also, playing into the calculation is if the business is considered under interstate commerce (federal law wages or if the business is not interstate and thus is under state wage laws). As with much of life, there is a lot of grey area not yes or no, right or wrong ....

17 hours ago, stud858 said:

May I suggest a pay rise in exchange for promise of returning change promptly.

In my humble opinion stud ( and I am unanimous in that ) I don't think that's a good suggestion. In other words, gimmee a raise and I won't cheat anyone. Doesn't work that way. Sorta reminds me of praying to your God/creator...."heal me or my loved ones, and I will do good the rest of my life." In some situations ya just...don't...make...deals. And I think these are two of them. As I said, IMHO.

I would and have asked on a number of occasions when this happens,  even if only 5 baht... It isn't the amount,  it's common courtesy to return  change.  On the times I've asked for it,  I have kept the change and not returned.  Don't feel bad,  this wouldn't happen in a civilised country  with ethics and customer service. It's wrong And they shouldn't  do it.  In fact as the service just about every where is abysmal with bill padding, wrong bins and wrong change, I made the decision  to not tip anywhere and feel perfectly OK about it,  let's face it,  you only tip for good service.

17 hours ago, stud858 said:

I often think that if I had to live the life of a poorer Thai that I'd just kill myself.

But of course that doesn't happen often because the poor Thai grew up poor. It's normalised for them.

I lived for near 20 years in a village amongst what you might consider "poor Thai" - - most don't have such a bad life... sure, they share the tv set, most don't have individual cars, but they have each other, they have strong family ties and enjoy each others company, they have the security of knowing that if/when they have a problem, there are warm family members glad to help, they don't worry or want for food and shelter.. I often think they have it much better than most middle class people I know in the West who are always sweating their bills and under stress to pay for their mortgage, insurances, etc... and as a friend said recently, telephones have replaced family,... I hope that does not happen here, but do see the beginnings.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said: On handing over the 450 baht I would normally tell the waitress to keep the change. 

I think Golden Triangle already stated his reasons for wanting his change. ( and it WAS his money ) But, to each his/her own.

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Any old-timers know when tipping became prevalent?  40 years ago, I don't recall anyone tipping in any local restaurants, unless someone maybe had the hots for a cute waitress.  Back when I made $125 USD per month, I certainly wasn't going to spread the wealth.

I am sure it came in with the influx of foreigners... I was here 45 years ago, there were not many Westerners here at all... 

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

That's 35 baht .....  just terrible  !!   go to the police.    :shock1: 

Beats the recent thread about 28 Baht outstanding on a Big C food hall card (although I'm pretty sure that was a troll post).

The fact that this is about 35 Baht (or 15 Baht) isn't really relevant, the principle is what the OP is about and I'm with the OP for standing up for his principles.

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it is the principal that the waitress automatically decided that she would keep the 35 baht, and yes I know that waitresses don't get paid a fortune, that's her problem for failing in her education or life in general not mine, if she were an intelligent sort of person she wouldn't be waiting tables would she ? It is the assumption that she is entitled to keep the change, nothing more nothing less.

Too many farangs who get bent out of shape and too hung up on 'principle' in Thailand either get a) Killed b) Stabbedc) Beaten d) All of the above

What's the big deal? There is no shortage of good restaurants in Thailand with better service.

Stop going to this restaurant and be happy.

All this fuss over 15 baht? Despite what you may claim, you have all the traits of a Cheap Charlie.

9 minutes ago, varun said:

Too many farangs who get bent out of shape and too hung up on 'principle' in Thailand either get a) Killed b) Stabbedc) Beaten d) All of the above

What's the big deal? There is no shortage of good restaurants in Thailand with better service.

Stop going to this restaurant and be happy.

All this fuss over 15 baht? Despite what you may claim, you have all the traits of a Cheap Charlie.

So true, a pompous German in our crowd sang the praises of a Young Thai at a Comp Shop who fixed his Laptop free, took him 30 mins. "I Gave him a 20Bht Tip.". Well he silenced our Table.!. Then you get the opposite, a Brit drinks one Soda Water for an Hour, and always leaves the Girl a 40 Bht , the Waters 20 Bht. Good Hearts V Butholes.:drunk:

12 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

The concept of theft is the same regardless of the amount.....

I agree, but define what theft is.

A group of people( let's call them government) taking over the land and saying it's theirs and selling(passing on stolen property) it to someone.

This is a much bigger theft than a few dollars.

All ownership is theft. It's made to appear real polite, but it's theft in its easiest to understand terms of I want it so I'll take it.

Archived