Waitress kept all the change

Golden Triangle

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, sanemax said:

U.S waitresses dont get paid a salary though , their income solely comes from tips and a tip is expected/required 

US waitresses do get a salary, I have worked in restaurants, and know first hand that they do get a salary.  It's not a massive salary, but it is at least the minimum wage. 

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it is the principal that the waitress automatically decided that she would keep the 35 baht,

I assume you're mostly upset that she kept the money for herself.  Typically, tips go into a pot that's divided up by all at the end of the night.  If you wanted to tip someone directly, you would have to literally put the money in her hands.  Otherwise, she would just put it in the pot.  So your entire premise that she kept the money for herself is probably flawed.

24 minutes ago, killerbeez said:

May I suggest you run a business... then come back to this comment and edit it!

If I did run a business and required staff they would be paid a humane salary.  I would then edit my post to complain that someone stealing on a fair salary needs to be let go.

3 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

It amuses me when I take my gf to a restaurant and I pay the bill but the waitress gives the change to my gf. Happens many times.

Likely because she knows GF will want to count and confirm correct before handing to you.

12 minutes ago, p414 said:

I'll lay odds that all of you moaning about the girl's low salary are all wearing clothes and shoes made in chinese sweat shops...I do also ..but i do not make their low salaries my problem.

As long as you don't judge someone who steals that is being taken advantage of, then I'm ok with that.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, steven100 said:

That's 35 baht .....  just terrible  !!   go to the police.    :shock1: 

But that's not the point. Is it -and you know full well what the OP is explaining.

I doubt you would have been very happy if she had done the same to you.

Probably have got on your high horse as you have demonstrated here!

21 hours ago, stud858 said:

Wrong in our minds, but she's thinking- you complete and utter load of garbage. I work this crappy job for $1.30 an hour and all you leave me with is $1.50. My life is so crappy and I have not been afforded the opportunity as you and Im not sure what my future holds. I'm so afraid. 

Anyway, quite a normal action from a human in dispair.

This mind set really irks me. I grew up in a twice broken, abusive home life raised by a mum that had to work 3 jobs just to keep me and my brother in food and lodgings. I wasn't a particularly bright student and I never had the role models that kids require to plant the seed of future planning and success.

I was a mess until my mid 20's, alcohol, drugs and bouncing from average low paying job to even worse job. sometimes working 3 jobs just to scratch by. Very average existence. Once I decided that it wanted better I quit my day job, worked nights and went back to school. I retrained and up skilled and moved forward. I then moved cities away from family and friends to chase work and money. Within 5 or 6 years I had improved my life 100% and guaranteed myself a future. Nothing was handed to me and I was driven only by my own want to succeed, I created my opportunities, anyone can. Here, in the west, anywhere

Came here just to read the comments, I wasn't disappointed. Well done everyone!

Seriously though, I'm a regular tipper and will tip the change up to 100B if the service is good or I'm a regular somewhere, however, it should never be assumed. That would be the quickest way to make me stop tipping - for the waitress/waiter to just decide to keep the change without asking or waiting for me to give it. 

It's not a power/control thing, it's just a courtesy thing. I appreciate it when I get good service over here, because the service is so often lacking, so I've no issues with showing that gratitude through a tip, but the OP did the right thing by talking to the owner about it. I'd be annoyed too. 

3 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

This mind set really irks me. I grew up in a twice broken, abusive home life raised by a mum that had to work 3 jobs just to keep me and my brother in food and lodgings. I wasn't a particularly bright student and I never had the role models that kids require to plant the seed of future planning and success.

I was a mess until my mid 20's, alcohol, drugs and bouncing from average low paying job to even worse job. sometimes working 3 jobs just to scratch by. Very average existence. Once I decided that it wanted better I quit my day job, worked nights and went back to school. I retrained and up skilled and moved forward. I then moved cities away from family and friends to chase work and money. Within 5 or 6 years I had improved my life 100% and guaranteed myself a future. Nothing was handed to me and I was driven only by my own want to succeed, I created my opportunities, anyone can. Here, in the west, anywhere

My mother worked as a waitress when I was a kid. Relied on tips to make a living wage but would never have done what this girl did.

However, I've had the same happen to me in bars and gogos. 15 baht over what I would have tipped anyway, not even worth thinking about.

7 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

If it bothers you so much, ask for your change, the aggrieved party switches instantly from being you to being her. Plus then you don't have to come and moan here either.

The widely accepted view is that he shouldn't have to ask for his change and that it should be delivered to him for him to decide whether it goes to his pocket or the tip jar. That's generally how tipping works everywhere else in the world. He's come here to ask others' opinions as to whether he's right to be aggrieved? It's kinda what this whole messageboard/internet forum thing is about, ya know?

21 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it is the principal that the waitress automatically decided that she would keep the 35 baht, and yes I know that waitresses don't get paid a fortune, that's her problem for failing in her education or life in general not mine, if she were an intelligent sort of person she wouldn't be waiting tables would she ? It is the assumption that she is entitled to keep the change, nothing more nothing less.

I don't know why anyone is debating her action or that of the OP.  She stole the money.  The police would not care and the girl likely knows it and counts on you not bothering to go to the police.  I was ripped off with an online transfer to a Thai.  I never got what I purchased, but it was not worth my time haggling or paying tea money to collect the money despite having the account number of course of the cheat.  The biggest cheating I have encountered was in the US where I ate a 5 dollar meal and gave a 20 and the waitress kept the change.  I asked why she kept it and she said I thought you wanted to give me a 15 dollar tip! For a five dollar meal at a crappy fast food restaurant?  Of course.

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

U.S waitresses dont get paid a salary though , their income solely comes from tips and a tip is expected/required 

"U.S waitresses dont get paid a salary though". Don't you mean they get paid a small salary rather than no salary at all, so that means they depend on tips to get a decent wage?

The point here is not the small amount of money but the principle. Why on earth would she believe the 35 baht is for a tip, unless he accidently indicated so with his hands. It is theft pure and simple. One poster suggested 450 baht was an odd amount of course its not 4x100 and 1x50 whats odd about that. I would have demanded my change and just walked out with no tip. Never to set foot in there again.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:45 PM, steven100 said:

That's 35 baht .....  just terrible  !!   go to the police.    :shock1: 

its not about being a cheap charlie...everybody is entitled to receive their change.

they can then decide whether they want to tip or otherwise.

generally, i dont tip-its a bad american custom.

but in the bars, a tip very generously for friendly ladies..

On 2/27/2019 at 11:21 AM, Jingthing said:

I had a similar experience the other day at a counter of a bakery

Oh dear, was it the French Bakery you spoke highly about recently, the one located in Jomtien Complex?

You used to love that bakery and tell everyone how wonderful it was.

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

Along your journey if you ever worked a job for 1.36 au$/hr then I put you in the same league as the lass in question and I'm angered that you had to go through such hardship. 

But please do keep in mind , not all have the mental and physical aptitude that you possess. It's not good to take advantage of these people with such low salaries.

They should be paid what you'd expect to be paid and not paid the lowest that could be possibly gotten away with.

Archived