Terminate contract because of noise

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

In addition, he knocks on the neighbors with American punch

please tell me how Germans, Aussies, Brits, etc... knock on the door.  

Do they really just tap, tap, tap the door?

ridiculous.  

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

How long has the construction been going on? The worst is usually when the foundation piling work is being done. How big is the condo going to be? Meaning are you in a subsoi where it can't be more than 8 stories high, or a main street where it could be 40 stories? If it's a small condo project then stick it out till August while you look for somewhere else (as another poster said, not next to empty land, or a single house on a large plot in a popular soi, because developers love knocking those down and building condos in their place). And piling for a small project won't take long so once finished, you might be okay with the construction noise.

If you really like your current condo and the project next door won't ruin your view once complete, have you thought about investing in double glazing in the bedroom? Friend of mine had the same issue as you and he had glazing fitted. Not cheap (I think it was around 20K for balcony sliding doors and bedroom windows) but now he sleeps like a baby.

The piling is already ongoing 2 months and another 3 left.

19 hours ago, Pravda said:

This is not a valid reason to break a lease. You live in the city and noise is part of life, especially in a condo.

I rented out my place back home which is downtown and there are constant fire truck sirens from midnight to 6am. If my tenant wanted to break the lease because of this I'd sue him....and this is in the place where tenants have a lot of protection over landlords.

Your whining is unjustified. It's entirely your fault. You rented the place.

Now now. You don't hang a man just because he made an honest mistake in thinking he rented somewhere nice!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Badb0y said:

Yeah, the <deleted> owner forced it! Maybe she knew something that I didn’t

Wrong.

No one forced you to do anything.

You made the CHOICE to sign.

You, alone are responsible for your own choices.

Now, you have *at least* two choices:

1) Stay until contract is finished

2) Move and lose your deposit.  And perhaps owe money for unpaid rent on the remaining contract duration.

Life is all about choices.

I'm sorry you made bad choices, but it's not my fault, only your own. ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If the OP asks the landlord to break the lease and the landlord refuses, what would the consequences be for the OP if he vacates the condo? I assume that he'd lose the B50k but could or would the landlord sue him for the rent money for the rest of the rental period? Do any of you have any knowledge of that? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Badb0y said:

They start around 7am and finish 11pm every single day without break. Is it allowed like this? So I shouldn't complain then? You know if you have a baby it's a bit different ;o)

I know how it feels, I had a baby and was in the same exact situation. There is nothing you can do about it, like others have said find someone to move in on your lease. I remember the new contract law regarding to giving your landlord 30 days notice and you should be able to move out with your deposit return (not sure if that only applies to all contracts or just owners with 5 or more units).

Complaining won't help ....so save your energy.

Posts like this are proof that people who moved to Thailand clearly miss their overreaching nanny state they like to complain about so much.

BTW, the price of gas went up, can I stop my car payments?

Edited by Pravda
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Posts like this are proof that people who moved to Thailand clearly miss their overreaching nanny state they like to complain about so much.

BTW, the price of gas went up, can I stop my car payments?

Look Mr Smart, when you moved to Thailand you now this already right? You knew everything and nothing new for you correct? Can you tell me the next week lottery numbers (just because you know everything, correct?)

You are the typical person who is always smarter than anybody else and the one who is always " I'll tell you what's gonna happen".

Your comments are completely not useful, I think just read something else, maybe some topic how I can be the smartest man around the world (if you are not already :DD ).

Edited by Badb0y

1 hour ago, Goldbear said:

If the OP asks the landlord to break the lease and the landlord refuses, what would the consequences be for the OP if he vacates the condo? I assume that he'd lose the B50k but could or would the landlord sue him for the rent money for the rest of the rental period? Do any of you have any knowledge of that? Thanks. 

That’s an interesting question, what can happen if I don’t pay for 2 months, police can come and vacate the room? Or the landlord can sue me? Anybody any idea?

the landlord is Chinese.

Edited by Badb0y

22 hours ago, Pravda said:

This is not a valid reason to break a lease. You live in the city and noise is part of life, especially in a condo.

I rented out my place back home which is downtown and there are constant fire truck sirens from midnight to 6am. If my tenant wanted to break the lease because of this I'd sue him....and this is in the place where tenants have a lot of protection over landlords.

Your whining is unjustified. It's entirely your fault. You rented the place.

spoken like a true landlord you are well on your way to building a property empire:)

• Like 1

Had this problem (twice) in Singapore with MRT construction happening across the road (24 hours a day) & eventually one of the neighbors called the NEA (National Environment Agency) who laid down the law (something like it cannot be over 80db between 10pm-8am  & they would come round at random times during the night to check so the problem did go away - at night).

Thailand will have similar laws, so if there isn't a similar agency, file a complaint with the police.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately if you break contract early you will lose deposit. That is pretty much it. You can try different routes for recourse, but good luck with that. As someone else stated above try to get someone to take over rent, but then the landlord can claim you are moving out early and insist on new contract etc etc etc

• Like 1

Many people never get their deposit back even if they completed the contract.

Sorry, I hate noise also I doubt the landlord will work with you but give it a shot.

Just another example to never buy here because then you would truly be stuck..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Many people never get their deposit back even if they completed the contract.

Sorry, I hate noise also I doubt the landlord will work with you but give it a shot.

Just another example to never buy here because then you would truly be stuck..

I'll never buy for sure. They completely idiot here seriously. They build low quality condos instead of they should build some green area with trees that can help in the smog problem.

I was complaining the rules in my country earlier because there even if you own the land, you can't build as a building more the 30% of your land and of course regulate how tall can be as well. Now I completely understand why is this good.

Edited by Badb0y
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Badb0y said:

I can't do anything if they started to build a mall during my contract.

I think that about sums it up... it is also not your landlords fault either... 

You could ask for some refund, but I would move if I were you... not nice for you, your child and family.. don't suffer, just move. 

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

And you? 

not very nice to call people idiots and if you chose to live here... 

When you move here I don't think this is the thing that you start to look, will they build anything next to me and destroy my calm? Did you look this one when you moved here? This was the first or 2nd thing?

On 2/28/2019 at 7:11 AM, Badb0y said:

Yeah talked, she is like dumb.

Is there anybody know where is the rules written? They suggested me to report to police, I think I'll report every day until the company doesn't pay my deposit.

I'm afraid that will not work – this is Thailand, and you are an alien – if you wish to save yourself, and your family, for a lot of headache, then just forget the deposit, count your loss, and move on.

That might not be the kind of advice you wish to hear – and I know 50k baht can be relative "a lot of money" – but it might well be your best option.

So your deposit is 50k baht - is that 2 months deposit (2x 25,000 baht) ?

You could delay on paying the the final month before moving out (i.e. not pay it)... 

... and then any bills etc would be subtracted from the remaining 25,000 baht to minimize your loss. 

It's not the owners fault - but I'm sure they knew well in advance that a Mall was being built next to their unit and they had opportunity to inform you before you renewed your contract. They didn't so you're forced to play the same cagey game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You could delay on paying the the final month before moving out (i.e. not pay it)... 

... and then any bills etc would be subtracted from the remaining 25,000 baht to minimize your loss. 

It's not the owners fault - but I'm sure they knew well in advance that a Mall was being built next to their unit and they had opportunity to inform you before you renewed your contract. They didn't so you're forced to play the same cagey game. 

yeah, 2 months deposit

On 2/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, Badb0y said:

Is there any rule in Thailand like in Europe that you can't make noise on the weekend and after 5-6pm on the weekdays?

I'm also playing with the thoughts if the company pay for me the deposit, I'll move out and I don't care the deposit.

you are talking about Thailand, ouch ... there are no rules here, Thais do as they please, on the other hand, Westerners, shut up and if not happy are asked to go back to their countries

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

you are talking about Thailand, ouch ... there are no rules here, Thais do as they please, on the other hand, Westerners, shut up and if not happy are asked to go back to their countries

Sounds good ????

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What can the landlord do, if I don't pay from now? I see in the contract I can delay it for a month, but I'll not pay after. Can they call the police and kick me out or can they sue me and I have to pay more later?

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

In the states I once broke the lease for the same noise problem and just said I have the right of peace full Enjoyment with no problem but this isn’t America TIT

It certainly isn't. Yesterday evening, around 9 p.m. I wanted to ask my direct Thai Yaba- dealing and using neighbour i f he possibly could stop senselessly cutting metal piping with an angle grinder in his backyard, something he had been doing for 2 hours already, as he does most evenings. It's a way to release tension for him, I guess.

for me, it had frayed my nerves so much from the day they moved in a month ago, that I could not contain myself anymore.

My wife of 10 years stopped me, she is scared he might knife me for interfering in his business. This Sunday we are moving out to a hotel. Can' t wait to get back to Europe!

Edited by Bullie

44 minutes ago, Badb0y said:

When you move here I don't think this is the thing that you start to look, will they build anything next to me and destroy my calm? Did you look this one when you moved here? This was the first or 2nd thing?

of course not... but that doesn't make them idiots and it does make you impolite for calling them idiots...

I was sympathetic with your misfortune.. these things happen in life. I think everyone has had or will have problems with neighbors... 

I live in a condo in BKK and I sympathize with you because I too hate noise (and I don't even have a baby).  But, as others have pointed out, because the source of noise isn't the landlord's fault, she is under no obligation to return your deposit if you break the lease. 

It sucks, yes, but I think you only have two choices:  1) try to block the noise and ride it out (cover the windows with foam and/or thick curtains, get a white noise generator, etc.), or 2) bite the bullet, write off the deposit as a loss and move on.  Use what you've learned from the experience and you'll be especially careful in choosing your next condo.