High tensile chain and lock

Djw6

I am guessing - by posting in the bike forum - you want this to secure your bike to something immovable.

You do realize that they make bolt cutters that can cut thru hardened steel chain or the shackle of a lock ? Not even mentioning portable angle grinders - which work good too but are noisy.

My view - buy first class insurance. If bike stolen, buy another.

And a disc lock is a lot easier to store when not locking the bike.

• Like 1

If they want it they will take it...chains, alarms etc may slow them down a bit ...maybe a hidden GPS tracker if its a "valuable" bike.

Angle grinder with "cut off disk" can get through the padlock shackle in less than 30 seconds !

14 minutes ago, johng said:

If they want it they will take it...chains, alarms etc may slow them down a bit ...maybe a hidden GPS tracker if its a "valuable" bike.

Angle grinder with "cut off disk" can get through the padlock shackle in less than 30 seconds !

Yes, I know all that. I'm a structural steel fabricator. I doubt whether they could walk into where I live with bolt cutters or a grinder and not be noticed. Anyway, does anyone have an answer to the question?

4 hours ago, Djw6 said:

Yes, I know all that. I'm a structural steel fabricator. I doubt whether they could walk into where I live with bolt cutters or a grinder and not be noticed. Anyway, does anyone have an answer to the question?

If you want a heavy duty chain, forget those made in China shops or supermarket locks and go straight to a place that sells high quality construction equipment and not Home Pro, Home Works, etc,  I consider them interior decorating stores. The REAL construction shops will have what you are looking for.  In Pattaya there's a couple of good construction shops on Pattaya Nua between the bus station and Sukhumvit (same side as the bus station).

• Like 1

On long runs/trips of more than a day i carry a padlock & chain on my Guzzi.

It is cumbersome, long, H/D and strong, with a fantastic, expensive lock.

Better safe than sorry.

Especially if you have to leave it somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a puncture or something.

Insurance will not compensate for one of my bikes stolen, as you cannot buy one off the shelf and they are all irreplaceable.

Fortunately big bike theft here seems to be a rare problem.

Unlike in my home country where it is a huge problem, and you cannot even leave a bicycle unchained for 10 minutes before some scumbag has stolen it.

Let alone a nice motorcycle.

Unfortunately i cannot help with local shops, because i brought my chain/lock with me from the UK many years ago.

I would suggest a hardware shop for the bestest, biggest, most expensive lock they sell, and keep looking for H/D chains or perhaps H/D S/S braided cable at commercial construction shops.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I am guessing - by posting in the bike forum - you want this to secure your bike to something immovable.

You do realize that they make bolt cutters that can cut thru hardened steel chain or the shackle of a lock ? Not even mentioning portable angle grinders - which work good too but are noisy.

My view - buy first class insurance. If bike stolen, buy another.

And a disc lock is a lot easier to store when not locking the bike.

I left my chain padlock set in England for my son.

Don't see why OP or anyone can't get one from UK, I doubt if they sell em here and I have never seen one in shops.

They are very effective along with disc locks.

Mine one wasn't cheap and was tested to death on Utube, they tried the largest bolt cutters and took a very long time and only cut one side of a link so still the other side to cut and the guy was exhausted, the padlock design can't be got at with bolt cutters.

The test then was an 9" angle grinder the blade had to be changed after 15 mins the grinder got through a link on the 3rd blade.   

The conclusion was thieving bike scumbags wouldn't bother. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Djw6 said:

Never seen anything decent here disc locks I use here and hire a Cambodian and handcuff them to my bike.

https://www.motorcyclesecure.com/motorcycle-security-chains/

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2019 at 10:25 AM, Kwasaki said:

I left my chain padlock set in England for my son.

Don't see why OP or anyone can't get one from UK, I doubt if they sell em here and I have never seen one in shops.

They are very effective along with disc locks.

Mine one wasn't cheap and was tested to death on Utube, they tried the largest bolt cutters and took a very long time and only cut one side of a link so still the other side to cut and the guy was exhausted, the padlock design can't be got at with bolt cutters.

The test then was an 9" angle grinder the blade had to be changed after 15 mins the grinder got through a link on the 3rd blade.   

The conclusion was thieving bike scumbags wouldn't bother. 

It is an added extra to an immobilizer and a motion detector disc lock, but the more the better! As you indirectly said, the longer it takes and the more noise they make, the less chance that thieving scumbags will try to steal it, as they may be caught. I'll start looking around, as soon as I have the time. If I find anything suitable I'll post it on here. Cheers.

• Like 1