Nationwide Account - UK

I have not read all the comments here but i have a Nationwide account and it has never been a problem just gave them my new address in Thailand and have received mail here etc. and have had a new debit card sent to my Thai address, you can also access online if need be!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I have not read all the comments here but i have a Nationwide account and it has never been a problem just gave them my new address in Thailand and have received mail here etc. and have had a new debit card sent to my Thai address, you can also access online if need be!

How did you advise them of your new address - by email or post

I have Nationwide accounts and I have had the same experience as MaxCorrigan.

I moved here over four years ago with no address in the UK. I informed them in advance and have had no problems since, with new debit and credit cards and a new card reader delivered to my Thai address.

About 2 years ago I was asked to provide a notarised proof of address, which I did.

Using the card reader for verification I have been able to make SWIFT transfers to my Thai account using internet banking - no physical documents required.

In answer to lelapin I advised them of my new address via the internet banking system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CMoldie said:

I have Nationwide accounts and I have had the same experience as MaxCorrigan.

I moved here over four years ago with no address in the UK. I informed them in advance and have had no problems since, with new debit and credit cards and a new card reader delivered to my Thai address.

About 2 years ago I was asked to provide a notarised proof of address, which I did.

Using the card reader for verification I have been able to make SWIFT transfers to my Thai account using internet banking - no physical documents required.

In answer to lelapin I advised them of my new address via the internet banking system.

Thanks for the info.  Very useful.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, lelapin said:

Because they have indicated they are tightening up their internet security and will be asking a/c holders in the near future for new evidence of home address

Hi would you mind please telling us the source of this information?This has implications for me as when I went to report in branch I was moving abroad in 2007 I was told I should keep a UK address because they did not send new cards abroad.I did this with the help of a relative.There have been no problems since.I have acted in good faith on the advice given to me but now I am worried if I tried to change my address to my home in Thailand they will find some reason to close my account..thanks for any info/ advice you or other posters can provide.

• 1 month later...

I have just been informed by Nationwide that they are bringing in new security measures and that will require me providing them with my mobile phone number. I am currently using an address  of a relative in England so I have advised them I don't have a mobile phone and I am awaiting their response.

They are quite happy for me to register my Thai mobile number as BOTH home number and mobile number.

I've just updated my "home" number as I was previously using a relatives home number (which is still the address I've registered with them).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lelapin said:

I have just been informed by Nationwide that they are bringing in new security measures and that will require me providing them with my mobile phone number. I am currently using an address  of a relative in England so I have advised them I don't have a mobile phone and I am awaiting their response.

This might be because the UK banks are increasing the use of OTP (link) for more transactions. I have several accounts and they have all sent me emails with notice of changes such as this from my main account which is part of another large banking group (not Nationwide):

"New requirements for generating a One Time Passcode (OTP): To meet new regulatory requirements and to help to keep your account
secure we’ll be changing the use of the One Time Passcode (OTP). You’ll be sent an OTP to your registered mobile number for validation both
on your first login to the new Internet Banking site and, when appropriate, for transactions you make via the Internet Banking site, which you’ll
need to use along with your Internet Banking Password."

These obviously require the bank to have a registered mobile number for all account holders. Clearly, some banks will allow non-UK number, others will not. 

Edited by VBF

18 hours ago, lelapin said:

VBF's reply covers it is the OTP system; you will need a mobile number.

I have had the same message and use my UK mobile number.

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, steve73 said:

They are quite happy for me to register my Thai mobile number as BOTH home number and mobile number.

I've just updated my "home" number as I was previously using a relatives home number (which is still the address I've registered with them).

I have also registered my Thai mobile number as both home and mobile but have changed my address to my Thai address.No problems so far.,fingers crossed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chang50 said:

I have also registered my Thai mobile number as both home and mobile but have changed my address to my Thai address.No problems so far.,fingers crossed.

I think I will also do that next month. Please post if you have a problem.

5 minutes ago, lelapin said:

I think I will also do that next month. Please post if you have a problem.

I changed my address online with a card reader after asking via the message section.Originally they said my Thai mobile seemed incorrect presumably as it didn't match my UK address and home telephone number.I will keep TV posted of course.

1 hour ago, chang50 said:

They may not let you renew any credit cards you may have with them unless you have a UK address.. if you change back you'll need to be there for minimum 12 months - that was why I changed my address with them from T/L back to UK, although never needed to actually use the CC (but it's nice to have, and essential to hire a car in the UK, afaik).

31 minutes ago, steve73 said:

They may not let you renew any credit cards you may have with them unless you have a UK address.. if you change back you'll need to be there for minimum 12 months - that was why I changed my address with them from T/L back to UK, although never needed to actually use the CC (but it's nice to have, and essential to hire a car in the UK, afaik).

Thanks but I don't have any credit cards just a debit card.

9 hours ago, transam said:

My UK address Nationwide CC was cancelled because I haven't used it for years..

My flex account hasn't been used for years either but as yet no cancellation....

Well assuming you have SOME money in it, they're making money out of you so they might just make it dormant after a period of time.

I believe they are usually required to attempt to contact you before closing it but you'd need to research this.

Is there anyone at the address they have for you who would forward letters?

Of course if it's empty, that might be another story.

Edited by VBF

On 4/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, VBF said:

This might be because the UK banks are increasing the use of OTP (link) for more transactions. I have several accounts and they have all sent me emails with notice of changes such as this from my main account which is part of another large banking group (not Nationwide):

"New requirements for generating a One Time Passcode (OTP): To meet new regulatory requirements and to help to keep your account
secure we’ll be changing the use of the One Time Passcode (OTP). You’ll be sent an OTP to your registered mobile number for validation both
on your first login to the new Internet Banking site and, when appropriate, for transactions you make via the Internet Banking site, which you’ll
need to use along with your Internet Banking Password."

These obviously require the bank to have a registered mobile number for all account holders. Clearly, some banks will allow non-UK number, others will not. 

Currently now in Vietnam and went online to buy flight tickets using my Nationwide account  , before NW allowed the payment process to go through , they sent me an E-mail to my Thai telephone number , which I couldnt open .

The then asked for a different phone number and I gave them a Vietnamese phone number , they didnt send a message to the Vietnamese number , but processed the payment anyway  

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Currently now in Vietnam and went online to buy flight tickets using my Nationwide account  , before NW allowed the payment process to go through , they sent me an E-mail to my Thai telephone number , which I couldnt open .

The then asked for a different phone number and I gave them a Vietnamese phone number , they didnt send a message to the Vietnamese number , but processed the payment anyway  

Something wrong with that picture!

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Do explain 

Well they tried to authorise the payment to your Thai number - failed. Then you said "The then asked for a different phone number and I gave them a Vietnamese phone number , they didnt send a message to the Vietnamese number , but processed the payment anyway "

So it would appear that NW processed a payment to a new payee (assumption!) but it was never authorised....or am i missing something?

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well they tried to authorise the payment to your Thai number - failed. Then you said "The then asked for a different phone number and I gave them a Vietnamese phone number , they didnt send a message to the Vietnamese number , but processed the payment anyway "

So it would appear that NW processed a payment to a new payee (assumption!) but it was never authorised....or am i missing something?

I have no idea what happened down there end or whether they even tried to contact my Thai phone number or not , although that phone number is no longer is use , there was a few minutes delay in the payment process and they asked me to enter a valid phone number and I gave the Vietnamese phone number of a local guy and asked him to confirm .

They didnt send him a message , but the payment went through .

If NW checked personally , they would have seen that the payment was for a flight ticket in my name and that I had previously paid for a flight ticket to Vietnam and made ATM with withdrawals there , so, anyone personally checking would have seen that it was a legitimate purchase .

But , I have no idea what went on at their end .

NW authorised the payment without me giving agreement by phone message 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I have no idea what happened down there end or whether they even tried to contact my Thai phone number or not , although that phone number is no longer is use , there was a few minutes delay in the payment process and they asked me to enter a valid phone number and I gave the Vietnamese phone number of a local guy and asked him to confirm .

They didnt send him a message , but the payment went through .

If NW checked personally , they would have seen that the payment was for a flight ticket in my name and that I had previously paid for a flight ticket to Vietnam and made ATM with withdrawals there , so, anyone personally checking would have seen that it was a legitimate purchase .

But , I have no idea what went on at their end .

NW authorised the payment without me giving agreement by phone message 

I see - so when I said "So it would appear that NW processed a payment to a new payee (assumption!) but it was never authorised" I was at least part correct - rather worrying don't you think that the payment was authorized without your explicit permission, despite them apparently trying to get authorisation??

I find it difficult to believe that they checked personally...if they DID, it's damn good service - if they DIDN'T it's rather worrying that the system can be so easily defeated.

I wonder which applies?  :ermm:

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

I see - so when I said "So it would appear that NW processed a payment to a new payee (assumption!) but it was never authorised" I was at least part correct - rather worrying don't you think that the payment was authorized without your explicit permission, despite them apparently trying to get authorisation??

I find it difficult to believe that they checked personally...if they DID, it's damn good service - if they DIDN'T it's rather worrying that the system can be so easily defeated.

I wonder which applies?  :ermm:

NW have never previously asked me to confirm any transaction by phone , seems like its a new thing for them .

It maybe a new security measure that they are putting in place , but it does have its flaws, because whats the point in asking for a phone number during the transaction process , when anyone could put any phone number in there .

Another flaw , what about when people go abroad and there given phone number doesnt work in the new country

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

NW have never previously asked me to confirm any transaction by phone , seems like its a new thing for them .

It maybe a new security measure that they are putting in place , but it does have its flaws, because whats the point in asking for a phone number during the transaction process , when anyone could put any phone number in there .

Another flaw , what about when people go abroad and there given phone number doesnt work in the new country

I quite agree.

It may well be a new security measure that they are putting in place - Scroll up and look at my #71

That might be the answer - if it is they're not doing a very good job are they?

18 minutes ago, VBF said:

I quite agree.

It may well be a new security measure that they are putting in place - Scroll up and look at my #71

That might be the answer - if it is they're not doing a very good job are they?

They got it right in my case , I would have been right annoyed had NW refused to allow the transaction to go through .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VBF said:

Well assuming you have SOME money in it, they're making money out of you so they might just make it dormant after a period of time.

I believe they are usually required to attempt to contact you before closing it but you'd need to research this.

Is there anyone at the address they have for you who would forward letters?

Of course if it's empty, that might be another story.

It is near empty, and I did get a letter regarding the closing of the CC account...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...