Is there a clear "Point by Point" guide anywhere on the forum for transfers?

Either TransferWise or DeeMoney is useless in certain situations. One does not do business in Thailand. Also Ubon Joe mentioned something about only needing to show a few months of deposits to qualify for an extension of stay. This is something that I can't seem to locate in all of the posts that I have printed out. Also, there's the issue someone mentioned of being "stuck" with the visa services if you use one this year. A "sticky" with this information all in one place would be most helpful. I am fighting to stay here, but I can't break my budget. Beginning next year, I would want to have all my income in Bangkok Bank every month or at least the 65 thousand baht required.  Can someone post such a "sticky" to have this info in one place?  I have a stack of print-outs that are just frustrating to sift through. Thanks to those who responded in a civil manner.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Also Ubon Joe mentioned something about only needing to show a few months of deposits to qualify for an extension of stay.

For this year it is allowed since the new rules did not come into effect until December. The  boss of immigration issued memorandum about flexibility this year.

I have suggested the options for your transfers into and out of the country to you before.

Dee money is good for sending funds to the states but it may not work for making your credit card payments directly. You would have to transfer the funds into your account in the states to pay them.

TransferWise is an option to transfer you funds to here but the problem with it is that it may not always show as a international transfer going into your account.

You mentioned you had your SS payments being direct deposited before into your Bangkok Bank account via their New York branch. You might want to consider setting that up again. And then transfer your other income in some other way.

If I created a pinned topic ('stickey") for everything somebody wanted the first page of the forum would be full of them and the first new topic would be on page 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Sorry Joe, I thought the new rules applied from March 1st this year??

Not for the income option. The order was issued on December 21st with immediate effect.

The rules that started today are only for the money in the bank option.

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Sorry Joe, I thought the new rules applied from March 1st this year??

There are two sets of new rules.

The first governs income proof for US UK Australian and Danish and started in December 2018

The other, in general, governing bank deposits and combination methods started Today

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The first now gives an alternative method to any Nationality.

I know of at least I national who applied and was told that as his embassy still issued the letter that they would only accept income with the embassy letter, they would not accept foreign transfers to Thailand without the embassy letter as well.

So no it does not give that option (in some, maybe all) immigration offices.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I know of at least I national who applied and was told that as his embassy still issued the letter that they would only accept income with the embassy letter, they would not accept foreign transfers to Thailand without the embassy letter as well.

Do you know if he had 12 months proof of income from overseas.

Possible without that and the option of an Embassy letter still being available that was their preferred choice.

Being a year of transition we're probably going to hear of a few abnormalities in the system.

He probably won't have an issue in 2020.

I know a few expats who have always regularly made monthly transfers to their Thai bank and intend to use their bank statements as proof of income, which will save a trip to Bangkok, possible an overnight stay, and the fee.

Gonna be an interesting year of developments.

50 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Possible without that and the option of an Embassy letter still being available that was their preferred choice.

Being a year of transition we're probably going to hear of a few abnormalities in the system.

I know a few expats who have always regularly made monthly transfers to their Thai bank and intend to use their bank statements as proof of income, which will save a trip to Bangkok, possible an overnight stay, and the fee.

There are no abnormalities in the system.  Each office can make its own rules.

In 2020, Phetchabun Immigration Office will only allow the income method for those with an embassy letter.  If no embassy income verification letter, then a deposit of 800,000 baht will be required for a retirement extension.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not for the income option. The order was issued on December 21st with immediate effect.

Any idea of how MANY transfers I would need to  deposit in order to qualify? I am guessing that once I make the transfer. I can then transfer some of the money back to the USA to catch a payment on time. Am I seeing this correctly or missing something? Would four months of transfers suffice for this year? I had been getting my SS payment by Direct Deposit since I came here and that would only cover me if I were married at 43 thousand baht. My prospective wife left me because of family disapproval, so I am out on my arse as far as qualifying for a marriage visa. I just set up a TransferWise account and they have sent two test transfers to BKK Bank which should arrive in the next several days. I signed up for the International SMS alert, which supposedly includes the USD amount they sent. Should be interesting I will save a bundle on visa service fees if I can use the new method.

Edited by KhunFred

2 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Would four months of transfers suffice for this year?

Four months should be accepted but it could depend upon the office where you apply.

I have been suggesting people start doing the transfers as soon as possible in the the topics about it since January.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think I have stuffed up, or I am totally confused – – take your pick.

By the "income option", I take it you mean regular monthly income of 65K coming into the Thai bank? Or does this refer to the embassy letter that at one time stated one had a regular income/pension?

"Money in the bank", could mean either monthly money coming into the bank and proven by bank statements or a lump sum of 800 K deposited – – which one does it refer to?

I got my retirement extension in October based on the embassy letters and part lump sum (combo) method and I had assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the new regular monthly income rules started on March 1, so I did nothing about addressing my monthly income transfers from overseas as I was intending to do so on March 1. Now it appears that the ruling came into force in December, so I have missed a couple of months of potential "top ups" and my regular income amounts of around 40,000 baht will not do by all accounts.

As I said I can easily make it up to 65K but was anticipating starting this today!

I don't know how immigration will view this.......... any thoughts?

Going over to the 800 K method irks considerably, but it looks like I may have to now!

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

By the "income option", I take it you mean regular monthly income of 65K coming into the Thai bank? Or does this refer to the embassy letter that at one time stated one had a regular income/pension?

"Money in the bank", could mean either monthly money coming into the bank and proven by bank statements or a lump sum of 800 K deposited – – which one does it refer to?

Income option is proof of 65 baht monthly income. It is now 65k baht going into a Thai bank or proof of income from a embassy if you able to get it.

Money in the bank is 800k baht in the bank or the combination of funds in a bank and annual income totaling 800k baht.

13 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As I said I can easily make it up to 65K but was anticipating starting this today!

I don't know how immigration will view this.......... any thoughts?

You can start bringing in the 65k baht now. 

Immigration offices have been instructed to be flexible this year so if you can meet the monthly income requirement or less it you use the combination option as long as you can have enough money in the bank for 2 months when you apply to meet the 800k baht total.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Money in the bank is 800k baht in the bank or the combination of funds in a bank and annual income totaling 800k baht.

Thanks Joe it appears that you are a "lifesaver''!!!!

This because I can bring in a monthly total of say 90k upwards to cover this and which will include some of my spending money and will add up to well over 800k total for the year............and I can spend it!!!

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

A Swedish citizen was told by Chaiyaphum Immigration Office today that he cannot do the "income-method" via bank-deposit because the Swedish Embassy issues income verification letters.

He has no choice but to go to Bangkok and get a income letter from his Embassy.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1087133-extension-of-stay-retirement-chaiyaphum-office/

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Income option is proof of 65 baht monthly income. It is now 65k baht going into a Thai bank or proof of income from a embassy if you able to get it.

You can start bringing in the 65k baht now. 

Immigration offices have been instructed to be flexible this year so if you can meet the monthly income requirement or less it you use the combination option as long as you can have enough money in the bank for 2 months when you apply to meet the 800k baht total.

I opened my TransferWise account today, but the more I read, the more I am convinced that i will merely be given seven days to leave Thailand. THis has been the most mishandled case in the history of Thai Immigration.  I can only hope that it costs them enough to cause a major depression. They have apparently destroyed what's left of my life after I gave up everything to come here and retire.

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

THis has been the most mishandled case in the history of Thai Immigration.  I can only hope that it costs them enough to cause a major depression.

How it will cause a major depression? 65% of the economy is based on Exports and 18% is based on Tourism. There is no dearth of tourists from China, India, Russia. I would rather say that the presence of retirees cause depression by strengthening baht and destroying jobs in the formal sector of the economy.

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

Quite right and I have yet to fully understand this from Phuket Imm...............

image.png.e016591b96cccd5d909375483162e414.png

It beats me why they allow regional offices to make up their own versions. Is it beyond them to coordinate a national policy? 

• Like 1

Either TransferWise or DeeMoney is useless in certain situations. One does not do business in Thailand. Also Ubon Joe mentioned something about only needing to show a few months of deposits to qualify for an extension of stay. This is something that I can't seem to locate in all of the posts that I have printed out. Also, there's the issue someone mentioned of being "stuck" with the visa services if you use one this year. A "sticky" with this information all in one place would be most helpful. I am fighting to stay here, but I can't break my budget. Beginning next year, I would want to have all my income in Bangkok Bank every month or at least the 65 thousand baht required.  Can someone post such a "sticky" to have this info in one place?  I have a stack of print-outs that are just frustrating to sift through. Thanks to those who responded in a civil manner.
This is from my UK Bank to my Bangkok Bank account each month via Transferwise and as you can see, it clearly states International transfer.

Hope this helpsScreenshot_20190301-225702_Bualuang%20mBanking.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Well not really, I can show a couple the same and one that makes my transfer appear to be a domestic one within Thailand.

Ditto.  I haven't started the regular monthly 65K International transfers yet (I got a UK Embassy letter valid for 6 months in December.  He said smugly.)  I have written to Transferwise asking them to confirm ALL future income will be shown as International transfers.  I have inquired what the likely cost of a 65K monthly transfer charge will be roughly.  It may total less than the exorbitant letter fee?

13 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I have written to Transferwise asking them to confirm ALL future income will be shown as International transfers.  I have inquired what the likely cost of a 65K monthly transfer charge will be roughly.  It may total less than the exorbitant letter fee?

You will get the same answer others have received, the mechanics of how they do the transfer make this impossible. You can determine the cost of the transfers yourself using their website, just plug in the numbers and don't complete. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Ditto.  I haven't started the regular monthly 65K International transfers yet (I got a UK Embassy letter valid for 6 months in December.  He said smugly.)  I have written to Transferwise asking them to confirm ALL future income will be shown as International transfers.  I have inquired what the likely cost of a 65K monthly transfer charge will be roughly.  It may total less than the exorbitant letter fee?

You can ask all you like it won’t happen because in effect it’s not an International transfer hence why the fees are lower. 

6 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Massive amount of memory loss of severe comprehension problem. 

Tut, tut............no need for that, just look at posts #16 and #20 and you will see that at the bottom of the IO release it states. "This command will be effective from March 1st 2019", so perhaps trying to be smart doesn't suit you.

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

It beats me why they allow regional offices to make up their own versions. Is it beyond them to coordinate a national policy? 

Yes, it is beyond them, mainly because they don't really care.  I think that we all need to get our head around that fact.  

• Like 1

The income method is now so problematic for many people as to be almost unusable. Expats need to beg, borrow, steal, extort, (joke!) , whatever it take to get the 800K into a Thai bank and most of this issue will largely go away, well until compulsory health insurance becomes a requirement. Now that will truly screw things up for many, including me.    

My wife and I went to Taryang/ Phetchaburi Immigration last week and asked them about a "combo". My marriage is not registered so I need an extension  as a single person. I always keep 400,000 bt in a fixed deposit . We asked about my Pension which is transfered directly from Australia by Centerlink ( social security) which is done at the Australian end fee free my Government. I showed my passbook and were told that I need a statement for the full year from the bank with every page stamped Plus a letter confirming the fixed deposit of 400,000 bt. Take the 2 passbooks  and copies ( 1 for the regular savings account with the direct pension payments from overseas and 1 for the fixed deposit). These must be dated the same day as I apply for my retirement extension. Also take the usual documents as in the past re my wife's house and details. They could not clarify if I could draw the 400,000 bt, or half of it out . My visa is not due until August so it's not urgent . She also could not clarify if the same combination of bank accounts and income could be used in August 2020. The officer  also showed me one she had just done with the "farangs" statements all stamped  and the covering letter for the money in the relevant bank. So in my situation it looked easy . If in 2020 we have a problem my wife has a 3 year multitransit visa so we will exit and do 50/50 Thai/ Australia. In Australia  a That would cut out ever having to go to Thai immigration and would never have to have money in banks tied up in Thailand... 90 Day visas has always been easy to get. I understand that many of us are in a dire situation and I know people who are leaving and "running" their prior to there visa expiring.