Thinking About Retirement in Thailand? Better Have 1.6 Million Baht in the Bank.

Lets say you are 65 years old right now. It is very possible for you to live 20 more years. 

Thai immigration in the past ( a long time ago) doubled the cash requirement for your Thai bank account.

Do you think it is realistic 20 years will go by without them doubling the amount again?   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Lets say you are 65 years old right now. It is very possible for you to live 20 more years. 

63 ...... doubt I've got another five (not sure I even want another five).

Most of my pals died way before 70, Dave2 was the only guy I know made 70 in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Henryford said:

You need 1.6 million NOW. 800k in the bank that you can't touch and at least another 800k for "emergencies".

If you do not have health insurance than you need 3-5 million in the bank.

If you have an extensive list of exclusions or are over 65-70 then you need to go home.

And no..I am not being harsh on anyone..that is what I had to do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Which government is that please? 

You know what I mean in Thailand whether it's run by Army or political party a wife working in government office regions is beneficial.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So, what is your minimal point?

I know several government workers their salaries increase pretty quickly especially with promotions and higher degrees of education.

RTP even more so female and males.

And, the guys I know married to them get free medical care at government facilities.  Maybe not the greatest, but sure better then nothing.....

Yes, my wife works in a government hospital, so my daughter and I are covered under her policy. She has a PHD, which means her pay is considerably higher than the average quoted by Skallywag above. However, I prefer to use Yahnee International Hospital when I can, less traffic, and they treat you like a king for fairly cheap prices compared to the US.

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed as well as the replies:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

)You need 1.6 million NOW. 800k in the bank that you can't touch and at least another 800k for "emergencies".

Got all that, and (considerably more)but the problem of opening a Thai bank account without a 12 mnth lease is proving difficult. (have 6 month lease, as I wanted flexibility to move+  Income of 60, 000 bht per month from pension.

I was not informed when granted visa that funds had to be held in Thai Bank, do not feel comfortable transferring funds into a Thai account with all the changes, and have been caught before when a regime change occurred elsewhere and accounts for foreigners seized, and not ever returned

image.png

Edited by RJRS1301

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

If you do not have health insurance than you need 3-5 million in the bank.

If you have an extensive list of exclusions or are over 65-70 then you need to go home.

And no..I am not being harsh on anyone..that is what I had to do.

Health insurance costs over 70 become quite costly and need to be factored into living costs, expecially for the unmarried

• Thanks 1