EC to discuss petition to ban Future Forward

webfact

EC to discuss petition to ban Future Forward

By THE NATION, AFP

5986723034bd1b48c08cfadada946b15.jpeg

File photo

SRISUWAN TO MAKE HIS CASE TOMORROW; PRAYUT SET TO CAMPAIGN IN HOMETOWN 

THE ELECTION Commission (EC) has accepted a petition seeking the dissolution of Future Forward Party (FWP) and summoned the mover of the petition, social activist Srisuwan Janya, for an initial hearing tomorrow.

Srisuwan is accusing FWP of lying about its leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit being a two-term president of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI). 

The misleading information appeared on the party’s official website for nearly half a year, according to Srisuwan, and did not explain that Thanathorn had merely been chief of one of the FTI chapters. 

Srisuwan reasoned when he approached the EC late last month that this could mislead voters about Thanathorn’s credentials and encourage them to support him. 

The social activist said the EC should ask the Constitutional Court to disband the FWP for what he characterised as dishonesty.

Publication of erroneous information violates the MP-election law and is punishable by a jail sentence of one to 10 years or a fine of Bt20,000 to Bt200,000. 

The court could also deprive the wrongdoers of their suffrage rights for 20 years.

Meanwhile, the EC ruled that junta leader General Prayut Chan-o-cha can participate in the election campaign due to his affiliation with the Phalang Pracharat Party, despite his multiple and continuing roles in government and concerns that state resources could be misused.

Opponents of Prayut’s nomination as a PM candidate argue that, as a state official, he should maintain neutrality in the run-up to the election and desist from taking part in Phalang Pracharat’s campaigning.

Hitting the campaign trail 

Following the nod from the EC, Prayut will make his campaign debut at a political rally in his home province of Nakhon Ratchasima province on Sunday.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said yesterday that Prayut was indeed a state official but he was also a political figure and hence eligible for the nomination.

Wissanu, however, cautioned Prayut against participating in rallies during his normal working hours as PM and to be careful in his public remarks.

Prayut is legally bound to remain non-partisan and must make sure he doesn’t misuse state resources for electioneering with Phalang Pracharat, the deputy PM said.

In a related development, Prayut yesterday dropped his latest saccharine pop ballad on the Thai public, pining for the “democratic path” nearly five years after he seized power from the country’s previous elected government.

A former Army chief who wants to return as a civilian premier after the March 24 polls, Prayut has since seizing power in 2014 penned several ditties intended to inspire the nation.

“New Day”, released on YouTube, captures the famously gruff 64-year-old general in a reflective mood.

“We are looking for a new day in Thailand’s history ... towards the democratic path,” says the pop number sung by two soldiers.

“A ‘New Day’ for Thailand is coming so we can solve the mistakes of the past.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30365193

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-05

6 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Prayut claims to have resigned from the army. Why do I see him at various events all dressed up in a soldier suit medals and all?

Still loves playing soldier, just like any other 5 year old. 

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

An alliance with a couple of other parties would be an even bigger threat. Have to do something about them also.

Would seem that a few people are now a little concerned - running scared? .... 

1 hour ago, The Old Bull said:

Prayut claims to have resigned from the army. Why do I see him at various events all dressed up in a soldier suit medals and all?

normal for ex military to wear their military dress at events after they have left the forces, especially officers.

i wouldn't count the generals here as real officers by the way, just answering your post

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Prayuth next ditty will be :

Ban them all

Ban them all

Lock them up behind a wall

I don't like their faces

They won't take my places

I'm gonna run with the ball

etc etc

Liked your ditty

But what a pitty

The etc etc

Coulda been bettera

2 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Maybe because it's not a military uniform but a civil service uniform?

https://www.christinebedenis.co/2014/12/05/uniforms-thailand/

Scroll down to Civil Servant Uniforms.

Both actually share some of the same ribbons and medals.

Thai civil service even uses military ranks as do the Thai police.

Thailand is so invested politically in its bureaucracy and military that its hard to tell them apart.

Might make military coups simpler to achieve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Lets hope this does not work, this is one of the few parties that I have some faith in. If they can keep out of the corruption (mostly) then this party could be a change for Thailand. This is a far better choice as the PTP or Democrats. I don't even mention the junta as they come last on my list.

Still these guys have to prove themselves if they turn out to be as bad as the old politicians then there is absolutely no hope for Thailand. Because then there is a whole lack of progress.

I hope you're right. But here they are, being caught lying to make their leader's credentials more attractive than they are. And there was the shady circumstances of some young leaders resigning/being pushed out. And their leader's from the very elite background so many others are, just a younger generation.

Somehow I get the idea it's different but same same!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Srisuwan reasoned when he approached the EC late last month that this could mislead voters about Thanathorn’s credentials and encourage them to support him. 

So this geezer is on the junta's payroll then, now I get it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

The lying about credentials was minor, not something i would worry about. You are right but at the moment he is the best there is. 

Outright lies, inadvertent lies, oversight, or whatever being levied at this guy pale into insignificance compared to some of the crap that's been presented to the people by the junta and their ilk. 

Someone's certainly worried at the moment. 

• Thanks 1