And another issue at airport : w re-entry retirement legit visa

10 minutes ago, glegolo said:

To my knowledge you should have written down your re-entry number on the TM6 (departure-card) NOT the VISA number.....

glegolo

That is correct. Reentry permit number required. 

Just to add, the op was harshly treated it would seem. I fly every couple weeks out of Thailand. In the main to Vietnam. Never had an issue. Problems seem so random. As for many complaints in threads about Thai passport control, try getting a half friendly look from io in countries like Vietnam. Good luck with that

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, balo said:

I have a problem to believe this story . If you really have a normal 1 year visa based on retirement and a valid re-entry , immigration should not ask you any questions. I would call Big Joke directly if this had happened to me.

I also got many questions and i have a non-o based on marriage...have shown the bank book already to get that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

actually, the  most impolite and miserable Immigration officials I have ever had the misfortune to interact with have been in US Airports. Thai's don't come close.  

Agree with that. Especially Homeland bad cops guys... Actually... Had only one issue in Vegas, where a bad cop tried everything to piss me off and to deny me entry for no reason, and openly expressed his frustration when his supervisor said i was a ok guy.

I'm almost old, have been travelling a lot in my life, always polite, well dressed, and legit, for info. French passport. Rarely had a problem going so long for no reason.

And here again the point is it's with a retirement visa for witch i putted 800k in bank + fees.

Edited by Sambotte
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I think that is what he did write.

It looks like she was randomly fishing to try and discover if the OP had got a retirement extension without having the 800K in the bank. Even if he had (which he hadn't), one wonders what she would have done next. Overruled the extension approval? I think not! She would have been outranked and out of jurisdiction.

Somebody sees to have agitated and riled up some of the officers at Don Meuang about fraudulent practices.

I didn´t see that, you mean THIS that I quote below is saying that he mean Re entry number??

"It started with : ho no, write the extension number, not the visa number (it’s written visa number on the TM thing form), not in a friendly way, no sabadi kap either for a start..."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I guess what is doing the bending is the inconsistency of the IO's interpretation of what is correct and what is not.  I don't think any reasonable person would argue that an IO job is profiling for the bad people, but they should know under what rules they are operating  and be consistent in applying them. That's what winds people up, me included. Being stupid and uninformed is not acceptable just because you wear a uniform. Unfortunately, this is a problem in a lot of countries, not just Thailand. 

Hard to disagree with you here. Although, with any sort of profiling work, where it involves human nature and judgements, things will always been non-uniform in how they're applied. 

For example, in any law enforcement around the world, there will always be officials who bring their own personal biases to the job. There will also always be people who care about their job and exercising their duties way more than others in the same role. So for every IO who just stamps a passport without as much as a second glance because they hate there job, there will be the one who wants to ask questions. My point is, it's best not to take these things personally. Occam's razor would suggest that the reason for an IO being hard on someone isn't because they have some personal vendetta against that person. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, balo said:

I have a problem to believe this story . If you really have a normal 1 year visa based on retirement and a valid re-entry , immigration should not ask you any questions. I would call Big Joke directly if this had happened to me.

Do YOU Have his Mobile Number ???

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SammyT said:

An immigration officer's job is to profile people. I.e. ask questions as to their previous and past travel plans and various other related and relevant matters to make a decision as to whether the person is legit in who and what they say they are. Happens to me often when I travel back to NZ - immigration officer questioning why I travel to Asia so much etc. 

Didn't realise there were so many precious snowflakes on this board who get so bent out of shape and consider leaving because an underpaid and overworked immigration officer didn't beam a smile at them and asked them too many questions (read: actually did their job). It's not a personal attack on you, it's not because they wanted to make your day more difficult, it's not because there is some directive to make farang feel unwelcome, I can assure you.

My advice? Don't dwell on it. There are unpleasant people in officialdom everywhere.  

Happens to me often when I travel back to NZ - immigration officer questioning why I travel to Asia so much etc. ....

I Hope you told him " It's For the CHEAP Pussy "

4 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

I don't mind questions. Happens sometimes, not a problem.

But here she was like accusing me of changing places in Thailand first.

Question : is there a law saying a retirement visa implies not changing address/town ?

And beyond that, she was acting like she did not want to let me in, searching for a excuse. Worrying with a legit long-term visa no ?

There was no agressivity from me, actually i came to her happy to be back in Thailand.

She was not polite though. I standed polite.

No Aggression ...........There I Fixed it for You !!

It seems more and more people are incapable of polite discourse, all answers need to be aggressive challenges to - other strangers. What happened to civility, common decency and good old manners?

I think it is quite possible  in the officers opinion this man looks too young and dapper to have a retirement visa - profiling indeed.

He should be proud.