I set up a TransferWise account......with a slight problem

They sent me two small deposits and then had me verify the amounts on hand. The first two tries were unsuccessful but on the third try, I was accepted.

The amounts I entered in all three cases were identical. Is this some sort of security step, which they failed to mention.  Good to get that step out of the way.

If the rules are followed,  I should be able to get my extension of stay without any problems and save money on the Embassy Letter, as well. This situation has given me a lot of anxiety and I hope it's over. Just the prospect of not having to go through an agent is enough reason for celebration. Glad that TVF was here with fresh information..  I would be interested in knowing if others using TransferWise have encountered the same problem with initial entries being rejected.

Strange - I am from the UK and never had that. After signing up I realised that I'd need to set up a payment system from my UK Lloyds Bank to send money to TW to send on. But I had no reference or account number so I emailed them explaining. When no answer was forthcoming i sent another, somewhat terse email to get them moving - and they responded, gave me a reference number and the details of their account.

Then I got my daughter to monitor her phone (because her address and phone is what Lloyds have on record for me), set up the new account on internet banking, gave daughter the code to give them and job done!

So far they have done 2 transfers, I make a payment to them after setting up the repeat payment on my account page with them, they email a confirmation, and 2.00pm the following day the money is there cheaper on charges and with a much higher rate than Bangkok Bank would give.

I like them!

• Like 1

No we europeans do not have that, but my neightbour an american from Seattle faced exactly the very same thing. he had 2 trails and then he was good to go. He was at hospital for 3 weeks ago, and I did help him out with a transfer via Transferwise, and it all went good, and since then he have also done it without any problem whatsoever....  Money-laundry and drogmoney.. we ordinary guys have to pay the consequensies for that..

But i think you are all good now

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Also. I was under the impression that money could not be sent from Bangkok Bank to the USA. Looking at the options on the TransferWise page, this does not appear to be the case. Is there something I am missing, or did I just get bad information?

Edited by KhunFred
  • Confused 2

They do that every time you setup a new bank to transfer from, its a test to make sure the bank account you are using is valid and works. So you will get this again if you try to send from another account as well. I don't remember any failures when entering the amounts, but probably just a glitch since you got it to finally work.

16 hours ago, hereforgood said:

As long as TW show the transfer as international many here have stated thats not the case

I wrote to them & asked about this. Three of my last transfers showed up in my BKK bank account as International transfers, another didn't.

I received this response this morning:

'

Dear Mike,

Hope this email finds you well!

Thank you for writing back to us.

Unfortunately since all are transfers are made as local transfer there is no possibility to show as these transfer are in fact internationally or made via SWIFT transfers.

Although we can provide you with transfer recipients indicating that these transfers converted from GBP and is paid by us on behalf of you, please advise whether this will suffice.

I’m sorry but not following you on your second question, bank charge for what? If you are inquiry about how much it costs to transfer minimum 65,000 baht each month, this really depends on so many factors and you can have a look at it here : https://transferwise.com/price-change

Hope this helps, please write back to us if you have any further inquiries.

Have a lovely day!!

8 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Also. I was under the impression that money could not be sent from Bangkok Bank to the USA. Looking at the options on the TransferWise page, this does not appear to be the case. Is there something I am missing, or did I just get bad information?

You can't use TransferWise to send money from Thailand to the USA.

You could use DEE Money to transfer from Thailand to the USA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2019 at 12:05 PM, cliveshep said:

Then I got my daughter to monitor her phone (because her address and phone is what Lloyds have on record for me), set up the new account on internet banking, gave daughter the code to give them and job done!

Why don't you set up a Skype UK telephone number instead of having to use your daughter?

Then just add your Skype number to Lloyds as your Lloyds Bank contact number. When your setting up a new recipient the call then comes directly to you and you just punch in the code on the dial pad. Much more convenient, no time differences to worry about and no need for anybody else to have to be available just to put the code in. Plus, if ever you need to contact them, phoning using Skype means your number automatically shows up on their system as you phoning from your home number. The first part of their security is automatically completed.

I have a Lloyds account and that's what I did a few years ago. Works a treat.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

I wrote to them & asked about this. Three of my last transfers showed up in my BKK bank account as International transfers, another didn't.

I received this response this morning:

'

Dear Mike,

Hope this email finds you well!

Thank you for writing back to us.

Unfortunately since all are transfers are made as local transfer there is no possibility to show as these transfer are in fact internationally or made via SWIFT transfers.

Although we can provide you with transfer recipients indicating that these transfers converted from GBP and is paid by us on behalf of you, please advise whether this will suffice.

I’m sorry but not following you on your second question, bank charge for what? If you are inquiry about how much it costs to transfer minimum 65,000 baht each month, this really depends on so many factors and you can have a look at it here : https://transferwise.com/price-change

Hope this helps, please write back to us if you have any further inquiries.

Have a lovely day!!

Somebody else on Thai Visa has also contacted TW  about the occasional transfers being shown as local transfers and posted their reply. See the attachment. 

Hello David.docx

So TW are aware of the problem and are in the process of trying to resolve it. In the meantime they have suggested a temporary solution in that reply. I was in touch with TW Monday afternoon and the call centre operator suggested that, instead of emailing the request (because that could take time to complete), as an alternative, we could phone their call centre with the request and give the transfer number then they would transfer the request to the transfer department straight away, with minimal delay. I did that and the money was in my BKKBank the next day, as an FTT transfer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Why don't you set up a Skype UK telephone number instead of having to use your daughter?

Then just add your Skype number to Lloyds as your Lloyds Bank contact number. When your setting up a new recipient the call then comes directly to you and you just punch in the code on the dial pad. Much more convenient, no time differences to worry about and no need for anybody else to have to be available just to put the code in. Plus, if ever you need to contact them, phoning using Skype means your number automatically shows up on their system as you phoning from your home number. The first part of their security is automatically completed.

One problem would be that Skype doesn't support SMS, so it might be better to setup a Google Voice Number instead, I've gotten that to work for SMS. I ran into issues when my Bank tried to verify with my US smartphone number when I tried setting up another bank account for ACH transfers on TW, now that I don't use Verizon Wireless here in Thailand (I use a TRUE Sim Card). I like using my Skype account while here, but that SMS issue is really annoying, they need to start supporting SMS.

19 minutes ago, ocddave said:

One problem would be that Skype doesn't support SMS, so it might be better to setup a Google Voice Number instead, I've gotten that to work for SMS. I ran into issues when my Bank tried to verify with my US smartphone number when I tried setting up another bank account for ACH transfers on TW, now that I don't use Verizon Wireless here in Thailand (I use a TRUE Sim Card). I like using my Skype account while here, but that SMS issue is really annoying, they need to start supporting SMS.

Don't know what system is used by banks in the US but @cliveshep  was referring to Lloyds Bank which is a UK bank. When transferring money to a new recipient for the first time via internet/mobile banking, to complete the process, the bank will give a code on line then phone your designated number on their system. You must then enter that code using your phone's dial pad. There is no SMS messaging.

Just checked on Skype to send SMS messages. This is what's on their webpage:

You can send an SMS text message to almost any number, as long as it's text-enabled. Most mobiles and some landlines can receive SMS text messages.

Get help with sending SMS text messages from Skype.

When you send an SMS text message from Skype, your Skype name will show as the sender’s name on the recepient’s device.*

If you want to show your mobile number instead of your Skype Name, you can change the sender ID. When you do so, the recipient can reply to your message and you’ll receive it on your mobile phone (not on your Skype).

If you want to send an SMS text message to someone located in the USA, make sure their carrier supports receiving Skype text messages. The carriers supporting receiving Skype SMS text messages are listed below:

Alltel, AT&T, Cellular One Dobson, Cellular South, Centennial, Cincinnati Bell, Nextel, Ntelos, Sprint, T-Mobile, Unicel, U.S. Cellular®, Verizon Wireless, Virgin Mobile USA.

Edited by sumrit

12 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Don't know what system is used by banks in the US but @cliveshep  was referring to Lloyds Bank which is a UK bank. When transferring money to a new recipient for the first time via internet/mobile banking, to complete the process, the bank will give a code on line then phone your designated number on their system. You must then enter that code using your phone's dial pad. There is no SMS messaging.

Just checked on Skype to send SMS messages. This is what's on their webpage:

Yes, but they conveniently leave out the fact that Skype doesn't receive SMS, send YES.....receive NO.  Ridiculous, as what good is that? Lots of services now, especially in the US want to do two factor authentication, especially my BankofAemerica account, where I was unable to get the SMS to send thru.

Edited by ocddave

53 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I have a UK bank account and use my Thai number and address

16 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Yes, but they conveniently leave out the fact that Skype doesn't receive SMS, send YES.....receive NO.  Ridiculous, as what good is that? Lots of services now, especially in the US want to do two factor authentication, especially my BankofAemerica account, where I was unable to get the SMS to send thru.

On the Skype website:

If the receipient is in the US, has a Skype Number, and has set up caller identification they may be able to receive and reply to your SMS messages in Skype

On 3/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, samsensam said:

i use OFX and find them straight forward and professional.

When using OFX to transfer money into Thailand is the deposit in your Thai Account shown as an International Transfer?

OP - as it sounds like you are using TW US you may encounter more problems when you try to make an actial transfer. My tale of woe here, and it seems a common one for TW USA. (I was trying via ACH debit)

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1081215-transferwise-considered-fraudulent-by-my-us-bank/page/4/

(post #60 onward)

Also, the part about it sometimes (and unpredictably) showing up as not an international transfer is true, at least as regards ordinary bank statements. It shows as international IF your bank is the bank they used for that batch of transfers and as a domestic transfer otherwise. But we have not yet had a firsthand report of someone getting a copy of the credit advice or the detailed statement of foreign remittances with a TW transfer via a different Thai bank.

45 minutes ago, sumrit said:

On the Skype website:

Nope! I'm telling you, because I know it doesn't work, so if someone on here tries to send via ACH, and the bank requires a confirmation based on an SMS code sent by the bank, you won't be getting it over SMS on Skype, that I can guarantee....I ran into this issue the hard way.

Edited by ocddave

15 minutes ago, sumrit said:

When using OFX to transfer money into Thailand is the deposit in your Thai Account shown as an International Transfer?

I suspect it will be same story as TW. I think all these sevrices work pretty much the same way.

11 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Nope! I'm telling you, because I know it doesn't work, so if someone on here tries to send via ACH, and the bank requires a confirmation based on an SMS code sent by the bank, you won't be getting it over SMS on Skype, that I can guarantee....I ran into this issue the hard way.

OK. Not my problem anyway, I'm from the UK. I was just trying to help, Googled Skype and copied what they said on their webpage.

Out of curiosity, when did you last try in the US? I noticed they listed the phone systems where it was available which suggests it's not available on others. And I also noticed SMS via Skype is listed as a new option now available in Australia. Maybe it's also relatively new on (some of) those US phone systems.

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I suspect it will be same story as TW. I think all these sevrices work pretty much the same way.

The Internatonal transfer problems with TW are not down to the actual transfer system, it's because TW chooses to use three different Thai partner banks.

5 minutes ago, sumrit said:

The Internatonal transfer problems with TW are not down to the actual transfer system, it's because TW chooses to use three different Thai partner banks.

And does OfX not? Which bank(s) does it use?

8 minutes ago, sumrit said:

OK. Not my problem anyway, I'm from the UK. I was just trying to help, Googled Skype and copied what they said on their webpage.

Out of curiosity, when did you last try in the US? I noticed they listed the phone systems where it was available which suggests it's not available on others. And I also noticed SMS via Skype is listed as a new option now available in Australia. Maybe it's also relatively new on (some of) those US phone systems.

I did so a couple of months ago, and people have tried sending me SMS's recently , I actually have a paid account at Skype, which gives me a Skype Number that would be considered local to Western Massachusetts, that way I can make free calls from Thailand as if I was home in the US and it looks like I am calling from Western MA. I have not had a single SMS make it thru to that Skype Number, not even from multiple locations in the US, so its a no go for me. I gave up and started using a Google Voice number that I had, and that does work with SMS messages. I had no choice, I had to get my transfers working on Transferwise, and this was the only option I could get to work.

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

And does OfX not? Which bank(s) does it use?

I've no idea. My question about International transfers was my way of finding out if they also use more than one partner bank.

In order to change a telephone number on Lloyds they need to write to you, and you then need to write back confirming the change. This is all well and good but not so easy bto do. I'll stick with my low-profile method thanks.

I bank with Bangkok Bank here, TW transfers show up on my internet banking statement as international transfers, or at least the only two times I have used them it does. Last time the rate they gave was what Yahoo Finance gave as the up-to-date rate so what's not to like. The next day it went up 0.4 of a baht! But I was happy with what they did.

3 hours ago, cliveshep said:

In order to change a telephone number on Lloyds they need to write to you, and you then need to write back confirming the change. This is all well and good but not so easy bto do. I'll stick with my low-profile method thanks.

I'm sure you can change it online. You can certainly add another number online but don't know if you can change the choice of primary number.

I do know that when I changed my UK address a couple of years ago they didn't need to write to me and send any forms. I downloaded a printable form from the website, filled it in then printed it off and signed it. I then signed and emailed the form to my daughter in the UK who put in an envelope and posted it to the bank. I've still got the completed form saved in a folder on my laptop. There was no further correspondence between us.

They told me when I phoned them about problems with one of the numbers when they tried and failed to text my daughter. I gave her cellphone number as both home and mobile/work number but wrote it wrongly in the primary number. So they said try again and choose the other number BUT if I wanted to change it they had a system where they would write, send a form, and I must fill it in and return it.

Naturally I wanted my money sent so that was not the option I chose.

I'm staying with my present system!