Why Do So Many Overstay a Standard Visa?

3 hours ago, NightSky said:

More strict rules are usually introduced because of those who previously abused the more lenient rules.

immigration didn't give a shit about short overstays back then in my experience. the new rules were brought in because of people on long overstays, many of whom had no intention of getting visas and the changes they brought in clearly reflect that

16 hours ago, dcnx said:

I’ve had plenty of overstays over the years. It’s more convenient to live life on my schedule than theirs.

It’s just money, and having money buys convenience. It’s the same reason I use an agent when I start a new visa or am supposed to go to immigration. I can’t be bothered with those knuckle heads or standing in line so I pay someone to handle it for me. Overstay is the same for me, I leave when I want to leave, not when they say I have to. 

In case you’re wondering, I’ve never stayed more than a month overstay. Never had a problem, just paid the fine. Much easier than wasting time to get an extension or flying out on days you don’t want to or can’t fly on.

Or put it another way, I do what I want, screw the rules.

And another possibility I suspect there are the folks who think it's cool to overstay, It's a nice novelty.

On the other side of the story I suspect many of these these folks will yell and scream when the police don't run to help when they have some problem.

34 minutes ago, dcnx said:

I wouldn’t recommend it if you fly through swampy. Chiang Mai is incredibly relaxed. 

If ever in doubt, make CNX your entry point. They operate independently from Bangkok when it comes to airport immigration.

LOL, thanks, my circumstances have changed somewhat since those days.

I've overstayed twice and both times not that long ago.  One time was for one day on a 30 day VOA due to a miscalculation in the way Thais count the days.  They did not fine me for that.  This was about 8 years ago.  The other time I overstayed by two days and they did fine me.  Again it was on a 30 day VOA.  The reason was it was cheaper to pay the two day fine instead of book a flight earlier at a much higher price.  I might add that in my 36 years of flying in and out of Thailand, along with 12 years living in the LOS, I was always legal.  Had all the right  to stay legal.  

On 3/6/2019 at 5:13 AM, dcnx said:

I’ve had plenty of overstays over the years. It’s more convenient to live life on my schedule than theirs.

It’s just money, and having money buys convenience. It’s the same reason I use an agent when I start a new visa or am supposed to go to immigration. I can’t be bothered with those knuckle heads or standing in line so I pay someone to handle it for me. Overstay is the same for me, I leave when I want to leave, not when they say I have to. 

In case you’re wondering, I’ve never stayed more than a month overstay. Never had a problem, just paid the fine. Much easier than wasting time to get an extension or flying out on days you don’t want to or can’t fly on.

This is absurd.

We're all happy you're loaded but the reasons you've offered have an air of faux petulance. I do get the - you can't be bothered part though.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, MARK74 said:

immigration didn't give a shit about short overstays back then in my experience. the new rules were brought in because of people on long overstays, many of whom had no intention of getting visas and the changes they brought in clearly reflect that

Aside from the overstay-tolerant attitude of the authorities, part of the problem was the absurdly low maximum penalty of 20000 baht, where it became cost effective to stay on once this had been exceeded. This amount was never revised when they hiked the daily fine from 200 to 500 baht overnight in 2006, meaning that someone on overstay was able to start recouping their cost after a mere 40 days (as opposed to 100 days previously).

Incidentally, back at that time, 20000 baht was under 300 pounds and combined with cheaper prices locally, went at least twice as far as it does now. 

• Like 2

On March 5, 2019 at 9:58 PM, BritTim said:

Based on observation, these are some of the main reasons:

• Misunderstanding the rules, and not looking carefully at stamps in your passport. Commonly, not understanding that your visa expiry date has nothing to do with your permission to stay.
  • Accidentally failing to get a re-entry permit, and not realising your mistake even after returning to Thailand..
  • Mental health issues that lead you to simply not care whether you are legally in Thailand or not.
  • The belief that the overstay will have no serious consequences, and is easier than the alternatives. In some cases, this is arguably true.
  • Financial troubles that make being here legally unfeasible, combined with the fact that you have no good alternative.
  • Health issues, combined with a failure to get medical extensions for one reason or another.

With Thailand receiving millions of visitors, I do not find it so surprising that some get themselves into scrapes like violating immigration rules. Indeed, given many of the foreigners I have met in Thailand, I am almost surprised there are not more cases.

How about very intoxicated (drunk) to pay attention to their passport and it just slides and slides until it is all to late.

22 minutes ago, Mansell said:

How about very intoxicated (drunk) to pay attention to their passport and it just slides and slides until it is all to late.

Personally, I would regard that as one of the mental health issues that I cited in my post.

21 hours ago, balo said:

True, but it's difficult to feel pity on them.

Yes they need to take care of their extended family, but if they can't even afford a new visa and follow the rules you wonder what kind of poor life they are living and if it's worth it. 

yeah, can we just kill them? I don't think they'll mind. And so what if they do? Stupid poor people. Sorry, i forgot lazy too. 

15 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Aside from the overstay-tolerant attitude of the authorities, part of the problem was the absurdly low maximum penalty of 20000 baht, where it became cost effective to stay on once this had been exceeded. This amount was never revised when they hiked the daily fine from 200 to 500 baht overnight in 2006, meaning that someone on overstay was able to start recouping their cost after a mere 40 days (as opposed to 100 days previously).

Incidentally, back at that time, 20000 baht was under 300 pounds and combined with cheaper prices locally, went at least twice as far as it does now. 

yes, many thought it was just a good option and were in no way ashamed of it, and since they were even effectively given an amnesty before the bans came in, they weren't far wrong!

• Like 1