Britain still hopeful of weekend Brexit breakthrough, says Hunt

webfact

Britain still hopeful of weekend Brexit breakthrough, says Hunt

By Kylie MacLellan and Michael Holden

2019-03-07T124025Z_1_LYNXNPEF2611U_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-GERMANY.JPG

Britain's Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt gives a statement to the media in Berlin, Germany, February 20, 2019. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's government is still hopeful it can secure a Brexit breakthrough with the European Union this weekend ahead of a key parliamentary vote on Prime Minister Theresa May's deal next week, foreign minister Jeremy Hunt said on Thursday.

With only 22 days before Britain is due to leave the EU, May has yet to get her deal passed by Britain's deeply divided parliament, raising doubts and further uncertainty over Brexit, the country's biggest shift in policy in more than 40 years.

May is struggling to convince the EU to agree to changes to the so-called Irish backstop, an insurance policy to prevent a hard border between the UK province of Northern Ireland and EU-member Ireland if a future trading relationship falls short.

Talks this week led by Attorney General Geoffrey Cox failed to secure EU agreement, with officials in Brussels criticising the British side's proposals and telling May's top lawyer to rework them and come back on Friday.

One UK government source said with the EU showing no sign of moving in the talks, there was little hope anything could change over the next 48 hours, raising doubts over whether May can win support for her deal in next Tuesday's big vote.

But Hunt said there was complete clarity on both sides as to what it will take to get an agreement through parliament and that he was hopeful for progress.

"Now there are very exhaustive discussions on both sides to try and find a way to achieve (a solution)," he told reporters after giving a speech in Scotland on cyber attacks.

"Both sides want to find a way through this and we're hoping for that success to happen this weekend in time for the vote."

A weekend breakthrough would give just enough time for May to bring her deal back to parliament before Tuesday's so-called meaningful vote, when she hopes to reverse a crushing defeat lawmakers dealt her in January.

Time is of the essence, with many businesses increasingly concerned over the risk of a disorderly Brexit which they say could wreck the world's fifth-largest economy. Real estate agent Countrywide cited Brexit uncertainty for its forecast for flat full-year earnings.

HERO OR ZERO?

Cox was charged by May to pursue talks with the EU to secure changes necessary to make the divorce deal more palatable to parliament.

But he returned to London empty-handed after EU officials rejected his proposal for an arbitration panel to resolve disputes over any departure from the backstop arrangement, diplomats said.

The backstop has become the focus for the impasse over Brexit, which Britain voted for in 2016 in a decision that has deeply divided both country and parliament.

"Leave" supporters fear the backstop is little more than a trap to keep Britain in the EU's sphere even after Brexit- an argument disputed in Brussels where officials say it can only ever be temporary if it is used, an unlikely scenario.

"We don't like the backstop: we don't want to have to implement it and if we have to we don't want to stay in the backstop. We all agree that it should be temporary and that it's a last resort solution," French Europe minister Nathalie Loiseau told BBC radio.

She said there were no precise proposals in the talks on the backstop, a charge Cox denied, saying the two sides were discussing "detailed, coherent, careful proposals" and a text.

If May loses next Tuesday's vote, Britain will most probably have to delay its departure from the EU, finance minister Philip Hammond said, playing down the risk of the country leaving without a deal.

"The government is very clear where the will of parliament is on this. Parliament will vote not to leave the European Union without a deal," Hammond told BBC radio. "I have a high degree of confidence about that."

(Additional reporting by Elizabeth Piper, Andrew MacAskill, Joe Green and Gabriela Baczynska in Brussels, writing by Elizabeth Piper, editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-08

Well, at least a good thing that Hunt is still positive and hopeful,

without a positive attitude, zilch result is guaranteed.

Those of you that know Tory well,

if the snap GE had gone well, as planned, and Tory had ended up with a comfortable

majority in parliament without DUP,

is it likely that the whole Backstop idea would have played a much less prominent role

in the withdrawal agreement?

(seems a bit odd to me if Barnier or the Commission should come up with

this Backstop arrangement unprovoked)

(or maybe there is an Irish or two in Barnier's team)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

if the snap GE had gone well, as planned, and Tory had ended up with a comfortable

is it likely that the whole Backstop idea would have played a much less prominent role

5 minutes ago, sungod said:

Another good example of the condescending superiority attitude by anti democratic remainers.

It’s funny how Brexiteers don’t miss a chance to make a fool of themselves by showing everyone their lack of knowledge but then find it a “condescending superiority attitude” when they’re being mocked for it. While, of course, calling others “anti democratic” whereas they’ve never understood democracy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It’s funny how Brexiteers don’t miss a chance to make a fool of themselves by showing everyone their lack of knowledge but then find it a “condescending superiority attitude” when they’re being mocked for it. While, of course, calling others “anti democratic” whereas they’ve never understood democracy. 

At least try to be original

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Rather than being offended by me pointing out the failure of Brexiteer thinking, try this for size:

By means of the collective bargaining power Ireland enjoys as a member of the EU, Ireland has the UK by the short and curlies. Without that collective bargaining power the UK would shaft Ireland.

Good luck with post-Brexit trade negations with the US, India and China.

Thanks, good post.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

So as I understand it, next week there will be a number of Votes... 

1. May's "Improved" Deal - YES/NO...

If YES - then Leave with Deal, otherwise Vote 2...

2. Leave with No Deal - YES/NO...

If YES - then Leave with No Deal, otherwise Vote 3...

3. Extend Leaving Date - YES/NO...

If YES - then extend leaving date, but what happens if the answer comes back as NO? - Leaving with & without a deal has been rejected, but staying in any longer has also been rejected!!!

f*&%ing mess describes it perfectly!!!

for the sake of completeness, shouldn't revoke A50 be an option?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

What I detailed are not the options, but are the Votes that are planned for Tues, Weds & Thurs next week.

There isn't a Vote planned on whether Article 50 should be revoked or not, I'm not saying there should or shouldn't be one, I'm just saying one isn't planned - But if there were to be one, I think it would have to be tied to a 2nd referendum which by default you are ruling one out if you don't extend A50 (Vote 3).

The net result is, if all 3 votes come back as "NO" then we either leave with No Deal (Which has been ruled out by Vote 2) or Article 50 is cancelled (Without the express wishes of the public or parliament)

Again, f*&%ing mess describes it perfectly!!!

believe it or not but I am fully aware of that those are the planned votes

however, revoking A50 is an available option for the UK that can be decided by parliament there and then without

any referendum or GE, should MPs so desire

33 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

believe it or not but I am fully aware of that those are the planned votes

however, revoking A50 is an available option for the UK that can be decided by parliament there and then without

any referendum or GE, should MPs so desire

But they cannot decide to do that without having a vote.... hence my point that there isn't a vote scheduled so I didn't mention it when posting about upcoming votes.

The answer to the question What happens if the answer to all 3 questions comes back as "No"  is that the UK will leave with the EU with no deal (the default, do nothing option as written into law), which would highlight what a shambles parliament is as it would have voted (I'm guessing by a massive majority) against doing exactly that the day before.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

But they cannot decide to do that without having a vote.... hence my point that there isn't a vote scheduled so I didn't mention it when posting about upcoming votes.

The answer to the question What happens if the answer to all 3 questions comes back as "No"  is that the UK will leave with the EU with no deal (the default, do nothing option as written into law), which would highlight what a shambles parliament is as it would have voted (I'm guessing by a massive majority) against doing exactly that the day before.

agree, a vote would be required, and a well prepared vote (in shape of law)

'cause as Bercow says, Only statute can overrule statute, and no-deal exit is the default - by statute

shambles? indeed, of supreme order

• Like 2

5 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

When May took over the PM role the Tory tactic was to try and illegally use the Royal Prerogative. In effect this is something the government, the executive called the Cabinet, can use to impose something into law without going through both the upper and lower house. Essentially, without checks and balances and scrutiny. She was challenged in court, it went to appeal and to the supreme court. She lost.

The next tactic was the snap GE. May and her advisers wrongly thought the Tories would increase the majority they had. Presumable May also thought this would dilute the strength of the anti EU ERG group of Tories and increase her own. She failed, lost her majority and had to grovel to the DUP.

Had either tactic worked, May and the Tories would've simply imposed their preferred deal on the country regardless of what others thought. And that would have included the Irish backstop as per the initial deal voted out in the record government defeat.

The Irish government btw seem totally reasonable in that they are and have said they are willing to look at all proposals. But seemingly May and her cronies can't actually come up with any realistic ones themselves.

And all this was caused by clown Cameron's attempt to quell Tory in-fighting and spike potential defections to what was then a growing UKIP. The rise of Corbyn and his Marxist cronies simply made matters worse by making the Opposition ineffective and inadequate whilst pursuing their own agenda.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

The May administration will hope they can still panic their very flawed deal through, with or without changes. Although they must know this is unlikely.

They know Parliament will likely vote against a No Deal Brexit. 

So that leaves the extend the leaving date option. They'll hope that if that happens they can somehow muddle through and come up with something acceptable before the new date expires.

Revoking Article 50 in the current circumstances would seem sensible. But sense is trumped by their selfish concerns for their own careers so the won't do it.

Wrong .............

All May/government has to do is nothing, no votes, no decisions, just wait, and on 11:01pm March 29th we'll be out.

The current government can't be removed from power before then, and they are under no obligation to make any agreements with anyone about anything.

I wonder it the EU will give a free extension without anyone (in government) asking?

And if it would be legal?

Edited by BritManToo

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Wrong .............

All May/government has to do is nothing, no votes, no decisions, just wait, and on 11:01pm March 29th we'll be out.

The current government can't be removed from power before then, and they are under no obligation to make any agreements with anyone about anything.

I wonder it the EU will give a free extension without anyone (in government) asking?

And if it would be legal?

I don't think that is possible as compare it with a party give his resignation  , only the one who gave it could withdraw it in accordance with receiver of the resignation notice .

Is same like the E.C.J. ruled in favor of the U.K. about the possibility to unilaterally revoke art 50 by U.K. alone whiteout E.U's accordance  , latest in that verdict....,but  only extending art 50 is at the only  goodwill of E.U. 27 unanimous .

Revoking art.50 can even be done against E.U. wishes …..

(Oh please don't let that happen as all start a new, for ever and ever..., this U.K. mess to us E.U. :shock1:..! ) this 2.5 Brexit years was enough …:sick:.

Edited by david555