Video: "U-Turn of Death" where there is a fatality almost every day

webfact

Just now, Micbozy said:

I could only wish one day Thailand will have strict driver license issuance.

Driver's licence or not, it will not stop a single person in any village hopping on one of the family's Waves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

install a roundabout - simple

a roundabout has two effects

- slows everything down

- provides safe filtering

yes I know people will say Thais cannot use roundabouts properly - it doesn't matter because it slows everything down

The key to roundabout implementation are clear road markings 

Have you seen a roundabout here ?  Lets not forget here it is me 1st... not so far from me they build a big one, constant accident both on and leading up to it. [rear end that silly car that dared to stop]  road marking Very Clear....  so they added traffic lights = as many if not more accidents... [why did the light change to red, they already had a green light to go around it !! often would see 6 - 10 cars rear ended every time I went that way] 

now a day there is a under past.....  the whole road was built not that long ago, as a sort of inner by pass.  because of the roundabout, 100's of driver every day gave that road a miss and still used the outer ring road..........  So a new road within 4 years had been rebuilt with different layouts 3 times = most of the time was under some sort of re plan construction...... 

Don't you just love how everyone rushes to the aid of the driver in the first video, luckily he wasn't laying on the road otherwise they would have driven over him in their rush to not get involved. 

Edited by Artisi

Someone once told me that under any circumstance (Thai or farang) the person driving the car is always in the wrong (EDIT) and that this is the written law. Normally, I'd think this was just garbage hearsay, but TiT. Anyone know?

Edited by chakeeoyen

2 minutes ago, ignis said:

Have you seen a roundabout here ?  Lets not forget here it is me 1st... not so far from me they build a big one, constant accident both on and leading up to it. [rear end that silly car that dared to stop]  road marking Very Clear....  so they added traffic lights = as many if not more accidents... [why did the light change to red, they already had a green light to go around it !! often would see 6 - 10 cars rear ended every time I went that way]

That sounds very much like the 5yaek in Chalong, HKT.

47 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Exactly, this driver should be found and sent to jail for total negligence of the traffic rules....he's a complete idiot and caused a serious accident.

Well, with that philosophy, just about every Thai male between the ages of 16 and 30 would be in jail. And a good percentage of girls too.

I'm OK with the guys going to jail, but, hey youlike, leave those girls alone!

This is done by cars, truck motorcycles, if riding a bicycle or even a buffalo it will have same scenario. It's almost like it is inbred in them to do it.

Another one is waiting and can turn left then merge to go next lane over which is correct and safe. They point the vehicle straight and wait for an open time just to go to lane 2. 

The whole road design with U turns is a nightmare. 

When you drive from KKC to BKK, 8 lanes of heavy traffic, with people attempting U turns is a recipe for death.

Then, couple that with motorbikes, no lights, probably no mirrors, since people take them off, because they're 'not cool' and just generally appalling driving.

I'm surprised more people don't die

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Well, with that philosophy, just about every Thai male between the ages of 16 and 30 would be in jail. And a good percentage of girls too.

I'm OK with the guys going to jail, but, hey youlike, leave those girls alone!

16 and 30 ?  what Country you talking about ?  here in Thailand a lot of the males are not tall enough to even sit on the seat of there scooters + often have class mate on the seat anyway or racing other 8 - 10 year old's............  Living out in the sticks for the past 16 year, appears the only way for lots of these kids to get to school every day. 

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

IMHO - A properly designed roundabout would prevent most 'accidents' there.

Oh, and a campaign to educate motorists on how to negotiate one.

AGREE but just how mant roundabouts are there in Thailand. They DO NOT KNOW how to use roundabouts here unlike in the Uk

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

IMHO - A properly designed roundabout would prevent most 'accidents' there.

Oh, and a campaign to educate motorists on how to negotiate one.

Absolutely agree.............but Thais are too stupid to understand how it works, so it doesn't and just causes traffic snarl-ups. Said this many times on here.

Driver's licence or not, it will not stop a single person in any village hopping on one of the family's Waves.

Like the 13 year old niece from the village that showed up at our house driving a motorbike we gave the mil and left ownership and insurance in my wife’s name. I immediately demanded my wife move ownership to her mothers name which was begrudgingly done.
A month later the niece borrowed the fil’s motorbike, let a friend drive them around and they crashed with an old mans samlaw. Fil had no insurance so they quietly took the newly minted papers from the mil’s bike and got away with it.
I barely needed to rub it in why it was good that the farangs wife’s name came off the bike if a 60 yr old grandma can’t say no to an unlicensed 13 year old when it comes to borrowing a motorbike.

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Absolutely agree.............but Thais are too stupid to understand how it works, so it doesn't and just causes traffic snarl-ups. Said this many times on here.

Playing something like this during soap intervals or before the lottery draw might help:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The drivers are straight out of a rice field with the fastest traffic being buffaloes. No license, no training, nada, just hop on a scooter and oh the feeling of invincibility.

At least the buffalo has enough brains not to go in front of moving vehicles sometimes

To whom calling out about roundabouts.

My looking glass say be prepared for the future...

1. Those who hasnt met a roundabout before hardly decide which way to steer and on the same time not slowing down.. will end up like this:

3BAC814F00000578-4069860-A_West_Australian_man_has_landed_himself_in_hot_water_after_cras-a-7_1482904284660.jpg.e27bd0a64c6cd2ee191f8d6ab4710ab8.jpg

2. As sharing road is usual here in Thailand, giving way isn't and that would result in this:

5b85cc3329c9e.image.png.156576ea54c23a8998c29a00d7aef324.png

3. The almighty beware, the woman driver who thought the car park she entered had three floors, is back on the road again:

article-2670903-1F28157200000578-336_634x412.jpg.82df6fa96975d2ba00b53a946238b641.jpg

4. and then of these cases many would think like R. Kelly they can fly..

check previously linked video on page 4

16 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Playing something like this during soap intervals or before the lottery draw might help:

I doubt that the Thais would understand the Aussie accent.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Truly awful driving by both bikes. Neither of them pays any attention whatsoever to the traffic. I'd say it isn't the U-Turn itself that is the cause of the problem, more like the complete idiocy of those using it.

extrapolating a little on that statement, I would consider that U-turn to actually improve road safety by taking many of these "drivers" out of the pool of motorcycle drivers. I hope nobody else gets injured though.

Edited by manarak

37 minutes ago, evadgib said:

No, those intervals cause Thais to stand up and get more food in less than a microsecond. They don't come back until the katoy screams or they hear the nasal wailing of the lottery announcers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Thais have learned from the top it's ok to ignore rules any time one wants to. There is no hope.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Thais have learned from the top it's ok to ignore rules any time one wants to. There is no hope.

Now my wife learned to drive in the US decades ago as a student. 

When we moved back, she still laughs when we are at a 4 way stop, and says. "What carnage do you think this would create in Thailand?"

It is a wast of time making comments or suggestions the Police will not listen or the traffic/road authorities will not listen. Life is not important to them, they must think the population in Thailand must be reduced. What better way than let the people run a mock on the roads.

The punishment must be updated and enforced. 

First thing they must do is to stop the bikes and the cars from taking short cuts and driving on the wrong side of the road. 

1,000 baht fine or confiscat the vehicle for one full month or perminantly.

No driving licenses. Confiscate the vehicle and a fine. Return the vehicle once they report to the police station compound and produce their license.

And send them to special driving test stations.

These 2 laws will make a great difference.

• Like 1