A permanent solution for Thailand’s straying dogs

webfact

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got 800 dogs in my village that egg head can have tomorrow.i hate these tree hugging do gooders that think they know better.culling dogs don't work unless it's regular culling or what we would call maintainance.theres nothing at all wrong in the culling of dangerous,accident causing,baby eating,rotting dogs.we do it to most healthy animals and eat the things.i say send egg head through my village late at night with a ball and chain on his ankle and if he survives give him a rabies shot twice a day for a year...oh and the medical bill.

Maybe a ‘Dog Dentist’ to extract those 4 Cannine Teeth that do the ripping of flesh damage. They have no need for those teeth unless hunting in the wild. The everyday folk are feeding them soft food. 

This would provide  the cure ‘Dog Dentists’ required, oh notforgeting castration and feltilizing them also. 

24 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

From your previous comments you seem to have a deep seated fear of dogs.

Were you not allowed to have one as a child.

Out of curiosity how many people have died in Thailand from dog attacks.

I agree rabid dogs need to be put down, but not all dogs have rabies.

Just like not all people here are tossers like you.

I've got a wife with a permanent limp and a smashed up new scooter and the dog didnt have rabies.these dogs who did this didn't have rabies either.

17C7A9F7-9782-4BA1-B8EA-6C6E77438880-6373-00000635F7779B5B.jpg

73E760C7-B367-4B5D-903A-F30855E60DCD-6373-000006361F063453.jpg

I wish to have the same bullbar I had fitted on my ute in OZ, so as to push creatures who use roads as parking space or stop to have a chat with the neighbor, not dogs, dogs move away when I tut the horn.

I say creatures because I never see who own the cars. Today smart dogs can drive cars too!

On 3/12/2019 at 12:03 PM, stanleycoin said:

real bull shit 1.jpg

Nah, just get rid of the soi dogs.

Nah.. this article was written by a student who lives in another country and probably has no clue to what a real thai soi dog is. They do not attack rats and kill them. The rats are smarter. They do attack and injure more people and she blatantly avoided using statistics for that and instead uses a rabies statistic. . The writer needs to study journalism and learn how to research before writing an article such as this. And the Nation should be more careful where they get their articles from and by whom. 

I've been a dog owner and trainer all my life. I used to give a temporary home to 'failed' police dogs until they could be

re-homed, inevitably I sometimes ended up keeping one or two!

I agree that there is a huge problem with soi dogs almost everywhere and the most sensible solution is to euthanise not only

those that cause problems but also those that are dependant on scavenging for existence. However, not all soi dogs are nasty

and vicious. A few months ago, a half-starved long legged mutt started roaming our soi. So friendly, not afraid of approaching people but abused by many people in the soi because of his failure to comprehend the nastiness of some people. The dog only wanted food. A humane ending to abandoned and stray dogs, whatever their temperament is not only in the local resident's interest but also the dogs unless a good home can be found for them.

He was lucky, the long-legged mutt adopted my garden to sleep in and the rest is history. (He jumped the fence) He is now

slowly putting on weight, fully vaccinated and beginning to obey basic commands. Yes, he still roams the soi and although

friendly to people, because he is quite tall he can be intimidating when he approaches in his bounding style! He is a soi dog,

I will never be able to change that or his wanderlust and his friendliness that might become the cause of his demise. Until then, I will enjoy his new devotion to my family (who had their doubts) but now who love him to bits and treat him like their old

family dog that recently died.

Yep, I'm one of those tree huggers who should be deported for feeding a soi dog!

Ben.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 4:23 PM, bluesofa said:

Perhaps it's the dog psychiatrists that need culling then?

Can't really blame them for taking the money that stupid rich people throw at them to help their pet's neuroses. So much anthropomorphizing.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, Vacuum said:

What about when these killer dogs try to kill kids?

What about the killer mothers and fathers that practice infanticide on purpose or through sheer negligence? 

I haven't tried to count but have a sense that these incidents are more numerous here annually than fatal dog attacks. And to compound the issue, I'm guess that there are less dogs in Thailand than there are male and female parents. 

Dogs that kill are usually simply destroyed out of hand. Should we do the same with these criminal parents?

Is sterilization the solution in both cases? 

Hasty emotional responses usually fomented by unreasoning fear are seldom effective. 

But for those that despise dogs such comments will fall flat. 

Food for thought. 

5 hours ago, Madgee said:

I've been a dog owner and trainer all my life. I used to give a temporary home to 'failed' police dogs until they could be

I agree that there is a huge problem with soi dogs almost everywhere and the most sensible solution is to euthanise not only

those that cause problems but also those that are dependant on scavenging for existence. However, not all soi dogs are nasty

and vicious. A few months ago, a half-starved long legged mutt started roaming our soi. So friendly, not afraid of approaching people but abused by many people in the soi because of his failure to comprehend the nastiness of some people. The dog only wanted food. A humane ending to abandoned and stray dogs, whatever their temperament is not only in the local resident's interest but also the dogs unless a good home can be found for them.

He was lucky, the long-legged mutt adopted my garden to sleep in and the rest is history. (He jumped the fence) He is now

slowly putting on weight, fully vaccinated and beginning to obey basic commands. Yes, he still roams the soi and although

friendly to people, because he is quite tall he can be intimidating when he approaches in his bounding style! He is a soi dog,

I will never be able to change that or his wanderlust and his friendliness that might become the cause of his demise. Until then, I will enjoy his new devotion to my family (who had their doubts) but now who love him to bits and treat him like their old

Yep, I'm one of those tree huggers who should be deported for feeding a soi dog!

Ben.jpg

Please do not use the same editor again to make postings. It really hosed up the forum on my Android. 

5 hours ago, Madgee said:

+1, good to hear you vaccinated.

There are a number of cheap, effective and safe permanent contraception drugs that could be added to dog food. Most work on cats, too. 

Those that feed soi dogs could sterilize them at the same time. Cost per dose for the cheapest drug is reportedly less than 3 US cents, or about 1 baht per dog. No dog need be killed, trapped or surgically neutered. 

Seems much easier and more palatable than culling. 

On 3/11/2019 at 11:32 PM, Laza 45 said:

He does make good points.. Sterilization and immunization  is the best solution..  removing animals just creates a space for others to move in.. 

True.  But sterilizing 5 dogs just makes more room for the other 50 to breed.  Unless you sterilize them all, you still have the problem. 

Why in Sangapor and Malaysia you don't see soi dogs. Really very very few. In the rural areas yes, you see them more often. They shoot them with poison darts I was told. Blow pipe indigenous style. Thailand can adopt this method. it works

37 minutes ago, Beatriz said:

Why in Sangapor and Malaysia you don't see soi dogs. Really very very few. In the rural areas yes, you see them more often. They shoot them with poison darts I was told. Blow pipe indigenous style. Thailand can adopt this method. it works

In Singapore, a small island, they've found out how to manage garbage collection. No food, no dogs. Malaysia is muslim nation and they know how to handle dogs, doubt many are running around Kuala Lumpur with poison dart blowtubes though.

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

In Singapore, a small island, they've found out how to manage garbage collection. No food, no dogs. Malaysia is muslim nation and they know how to handle dogs, doubt many are running around Kuala Lumpur with poison dart blowtubes though.

yeah didn't notice wild packs running around krabi either....

The problem is 10 million stray dogs all over Thailand .........

Once you get used to the fact, that chicken, pork and beef - a part of 90+ % of Thai citizens diet - is meat of animals they can either opt to:
- put them down humanly and feed all those crocodile farms or
- put them down and sell them to the Vietnamese who pay top premium for such meat

If you eat chicken, pork or dog is a matter of taste - if you're a vegetatian - that is OK too. But dont come up with that nonsense of these litte poor dogs while chicken, pork and eventually beef have no voice! Just saying .........

10 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The problem is 10 million stray dogs all over Thailand .........

Once you get used to the fact, that chicken, pork and beef - a part of 90+ % of Thai citizens diet - is meat of animals they can either opt to:
- put them down humanly and feed all those crocodile farms or
- put them down and sell them to the Vietnamese who pay top premium for such meat

If you eat chicken, pork or dog is a matter of taste - if you're a vegetatian - that is OK too. But dont come up with that nonsense of these litte poor dogs while chicken, pork and eventually beef have no voice! Just saying .........

I think the problem is same as with field rats and sewer rats. Soi dog diet makes them unpalatable and disease carriers.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, webfact said:

This week, ThaiVisa spoke with Anders Guldenskold, the founder of Inezorganisation and Green Pattaya, an environmental activist and Rotarian that takes care of up to 800 injured dogs and cats in Sriracha.

This sentence at the start already gives good clues what to expect in the rest of the article.

Would the guy be best served by a real solution that can be implemented quickly, or would he rather see a way to keep receiving money from donations and only solve half of the problem? Same with other people running dog shelters... As long as there are soi dogs they get donations and food on the table for themselves.

Archived