Malwarebytes, Advanced Systemcare and other issues

marcusarelus

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

It is a no click solution to keeping my drivers up to date.  Every time something goes wrong usually the first advice given by the customer service department is make sure all of your programs are up to date.  Mine are.  Are yours? 

Sorry, but it is a multiple click solution and yet another program starting up with Windows unnecessarily.

Nothing has gone wrong for me, especially as I don't have a lot of unnecessary programs clashing with each other.

Keep it simple.

Yes, my Drivers are the latest, as I only installed Windows last month.

5 hours ago, petermik said:

Advanced system care needs deleting entirely from your system....Driver Easy or any other form of secondry driver updates should be avoided at ALL costs....use Malawarebytes and CCleaner only :thumbsup:

Or Glary Utilities and Defender.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And did it make any recognizable difference?

Or was/is the main function to make you feel good that you had 52 driver updates?

I didn't play 3D games for some time now but I remember from the time when I played that it was a good idea to update the graphic driver for a new demanding game. But that's about it.

My point is new drivers might be better under certain circumstances. They might fix bugs and they might make the system faster. But then, they might not do all those things. Instead they might make a perfectly running computer unstable. And if you let a 3rd party program install all the time new drivers then have fun finding out why that program, which you used only once last month, does not work anymore...

Indeed they sometimes install Drivers meant for another device, leading to failure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They both bring up a message if a new version is available.

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

Sorry, but it is a multiple click solution and yet another program starting up with Windows unnecessarily.

Nothing has gone wrong for me, especially as I don't have a lot of unnecessary programs clashing with each other.

Keep it simple.

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Or Glary Utilities and Defender.

All excellent suggestions but they will fall on deaf ears....the OP knows much more than us......:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JamJar said:

Indeed they sometimes install Drivers meant for another device, leading to failure.

I don't know what these automatic programs install, I never used one which was not from the manufacturer.

I used programs like that from ThinkPad. They know exactly which model the computer is and they know their own drivers. That's a combination I can live with and trust.

I installed recently in an office drivers for a big scanner/printer (I think from Xerox). On their website they listed about 10 different drivers for that machine for Windows 10 64bit. I think it made only sense to install 3 of those drivers in that office. Any additional drivers wouldn't have made it any better. So I didn't install all the other staff. What would the 3rd party driver installer do? Install all of them? In which order? Which would be the defaults?

No, personally I do it the manual way and I look what I install and what not. It worked pretty well in the last 30 years.

19 minutes ago, JamJar said:

You don't take criticism well, do you?

You try to defend against everything, even your own words.

Wife tells you laptop is slow, so instead of installing a solid state drive costing as little as 680 baht, you tell her that it isn't worth it and install Advanced System Care instead.

5555555 I guess you are always right in that relationship.

Maybe that's why she doesn't use it. Because of the crap performance.

I didn't ask for any help or advice.  I offered a solution to what could have been a confusing problem.  Then all the typical Thai Visa posters jumped all over me criticizing my every action.  Replacing a brand new hard hard drive to save 3 minutes a year is stupid.  She doesn't use it because it is too heavy for her lap compared to a tablet or phone.  Now you are critiquing my married life too.

Why would you have even commented?  I didn't ask for your help or advice.  No one did.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know what these automatic programs install, I never used one which was not from the manufacturer.

I used programs like that from ThinkPad. They know exactly which model the computer is and they know their own drivers. That's a combination I can live with and trust.

I installed recently in an office drivers for a big scanner/printer (I think from Xerox). On their website they listed about 10 different drivers for that machine for Windows 10 64bit. I think it made only sense to install 3 of those drivers in that office. Any additional drivers wouldn't have made it any better. So I didn't install all the other staff. What would the 3rd party driver installer do? Install all of them? In which order? Which would be the defaults?

No, personally I do it the manual way and I look what I install and what not. It worked pretty well in the last 30 years.

It's old fashioned.  30 years ago you were correct now it's the hard way.  Most things get faster as time goes by and it's the same with computers. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Keep it simple.

I'll bet you that all of your drivers are not up to date.  Are you man enough to take the bet? 

Edited by marcusarelus

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They both bring up a message if a new version is available.

Ahh but your wrote, "Personally I install the newest drivers when I setup a computer. And if there are any issues then I look for updates.

Otherwise: Don't touch a running system!" 

But that is not true is it?  You update Java and Adobe even though there are no issues, now don't you?  Admit error?  Can't do it?  Can't admit wrong when you are?  

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, petermik said:

All excellent suggestions but they will fall on deaf ears....the OP knows much more than us......:thumbsup:

Jamjar has no knowledge of my computer.  It boots in 30 seconds so I hardly have unnecessary programs starting.  I have 32 Gb memory and 3 terabytes of hard drive space which includes 4 hard drives.  I'm a gamer my programs have to be up to date or they crash.  

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And did it make any recognizable difference?

Or was/is the main function to make you feel good that you had 52 driver updates?

I didn't play 3D games for some time now but I remember from the time when I played that it was a good idea to update the graphic driver for a new demanding game. But that's about it.

My point is new drivers might be better under certain circumstances. They might fix bugs and they might make the system faster. But then, they might not do all those things. Instead they might make a perfectly running computer unstable. And if you let a 3rd party program install all the time new drivers then have fun finding out why that program, which you used only once last month, does not work anymore...

That is the advantage of a program to update drivers.  Driver booster makes a copy of everything so if there are any problems it is easy and fast to roll back the drivers.  Roll them all back and update one at a time. It's not a difficult process in the computer world of today.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't ask for any help or advice.  I offered a solution to what could have been a confusing problem.  Then all the typical Thai Visa posters jumped all over me criticizing my every action.  Replacing a brand new hard hard drive to save 3 minutes a year is stupid.  She doesn't use it because it is too heavy for her lap compared to a tablet or phone.  Now you are critiquing my married life too.

Why would you have even commented?  I didn't ask for your help or advice.  No one did.

Once again, you seem to have forgotten that you reported that your wife complained that the laptop was too slow.

So clearly, the issue is not about saving three minutes a year, is it?

But of course you will try to convince us that you are right and we are wrong. ????

Yes, seeing as you behave that way with us, we can possibly safely assume that you behave the same way at home.

It's just a forum with differing opinions, don't get apoplectic over it...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Jamjar has no knowledge of my computer.  It boots in 30 seconds so I hardly have unnecessary programs starting.  I have 32 Gb memory and 3 terabytes of hard drive space which includes 4 hard drives.  I'm a gamer my programs have to be up to date or they crash.  

...and your wife? She needed the same program too?

I'm not advertising for them as Systemcare is free and the one I did pay for "Driver" totally messed up my Asus Laptop and it's taken me 4 days to fix it.   The wife was complaining it was too slow and I don't want to buy an SSD because she only uses it once a month.

So you got it wrong, didn't you? SSD would have been better all round, instead of that stupid program.

• Like 1

Just now, JamJar said:

Once again, you seem to have forgotten that you reported that your wife complained that the laptop was too slow.

So clearly, the issue is not about saving three minutes a year, is it?

But of course you will try to convince us that you are right and we are wrong. ????

Yes, seeing as you behave that way with us, we can possibly safely assume that you behave the same way at home.

It's just a forum with differing opinions, don't get apoplectic over it...

No that's not what happened.  I said Driver booster did not work on her laptop.  I put it on because she complained it booted slowly. It booted slowly mainly because she didn't use it enough for the Win 10 updates to download among other things.  But being the wonderful husband that I am I decided to speed up her system in addition to making sure the Win downloads were managed more efficiently. 

I only mentioned her laptop as an illustration that I was advertising for System care as it did not help me in all applications.  

If you wanted information on why her computer was slow to boot you could have asked and I would have detailed all the problems which started with all the nonsense programs added by the shop where I bought it for her.  I should have bought it from Invadeit or Lazada but she wanted to play with it first. 

5 minutes ago, JamJar said:

...and your wife? She needed the same program too?

So you got it wrong, didn't you? SSD would have been better all round, instead of that stupid program.

SSD would not have helped her.  Win 10 updates were slowing down her boot process and the SSD has no effect on downloading Win 10 updates.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

SSD would not have helped her.  Win 10 updates were slowing down her boot process and the SSD has no effect on downloading Win 10 updates.

More nonsense. You really don't have a clue.

SSD is exactly the solution for that problem. 

But of course we all know by now that you think you know better than all.

7 minutes ago, JamJar said:

More nonsense. You really don't have a clue.

SSD is exactly the solution for that problem. 

But of course we all know by now that you think you know better than all.

Had you asked I'd have been happy to tell you the details.  When her computer started it took 2 or 3 hours to load.  She would not have minded 2 or 3 minutes.  It took two or three hours because she did not use it enough for Win 10 to update.  Now with no SSD drive it loads in 45 seconds.  How much faster would an SSD be?  Negligible.  You can't know if there is a problem unless I tell you there is a problem.  It is a brand new computer.  It boots fine after I removed the bloatware and updated Windows and all the other programs on the laptop. 

Edited by marcusarelus

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Had you asked I'd have been happy to tell you the details.  When her computer started it took 2 or 3 hours to load.  She would not have minded 2 or 3 minutes.  It took two or three hours because she did not use it enough for Win 10 to update.  Now with no SSD drive it loads in 45 seconds.  How much faster would an SSD be?  Negligible.  You can't know if there is a problem unless I tell you there is a problem.  It is a brand new computer.  It boots fine after I removed the bloatware and updated Windows and all the other programs on the laptop. 

All the other programs like Advanced System Care and Driver Booster? 555555

Why did she need those on a brand new install?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nothing.  Just pride.  I'll bet you - you are in error and all of your drivers are not up to date.

Pride? I would not feel proud of myself installing that nonsense to my device. So make it worth my while or stop wasting my time...with your offer of a bet.

Edited by JamJar
  • Like 1

Here is how you check that all of your drivers are up to date.  https://driver-booster.en.uptodown.com/windows

Install it and run it.  I'll trust you to report the truth.  PS you don't have to update anything.  Scan first and they it will tell you what drivers are not up to date.  And let us know if you or I was correct.  If you don't want to update just uninstall.

Edited by marcusarelus

4 minutes ago, JamJar said:

All the other programs like Advanced System Care and Driver Booster? 555555

Why did she need those on a brand new install?

Because the computer shop where purchased loaded it up with a lot of Thai cr## game and silly com programs and some questionable software to spoof Microsoft office. 

6 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Pride? I would not feel proud of myself installing that nonsense to my device. So make it worth my while or stop wasting my time...with your offer of a bet.

No guts no glory.  I imagine you have at least 5 drivers not up to date. However if you don't want to know - up to you.  Typical I'd say. 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It's just not just about boot times silly. 

Allow me to help you.

Look at the Random read and write times of a typical mechanical drive compared to SSD.

NVMe-vs-SSD-vs-HDD.png

1 MB/s to 2 MB/s. 

So next feature update, more pain for you and the wife. Not surprised she isn't keen on it.

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No guts no glory.  I imagine you have at least 5 drivers not up to date. However if you don't want to know - up to you.  Typical I'd say. 

Is there some reason why you are linking to some random dodgy website instead of the iobit dodgy website?

Sorry my friend, but it really seems that you haven't a clue, but are just stuck in your ways.

14 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Is there some reason why you are linking to some random dodgy website instead of the iobit dodgy website?

Sorry my friend, but it really seems that you haven't a clue, but are just stuck in your ways.

Use any website you like.  Why are you flaming and insulting me?  You said all of your drivers are up to date.  I said they were not.  Easy to prove.  Since it is you who is resisting new technology "auto driver updates" why would it be me who was stuck in your ways.  I gave you some information on why a program disappeared without any obvious reason and you started attacking and insulting me. 

31 minutes ago, JamJar said:

It's just not just about boot times silly. 

Allow me to help you.

Look at the Random read and write times of a typical mechanical drive compared to SSD.

1 MB/s to 2 MB/s. 

So next feature update, more pain for you and the wife. Not surprised she isn't keen on it.

My wife was very happy with the speed of operation of the laptop that I bought her.  There is no problem.  Why are you trying to make up things.  It was all about boot times.  She told me, "my laptop takes 2 hours to boot.  Why?"

I've been using SSD drives for years.  Why would you think I don't know the speed difference? 

Edited by marcusarelus