Malwarebytes, Advanced Systemcare and other issues

marcusarelus

I use Advanced Systemcare because I like a few things about it like the driver booster (except on my laptop where it kills it).  I also use Bitdefender as my main security program.  But every once in a while I run a Malwarebytes scan to get rid of things that keep popping up out of nowhere.  Yesterday I was trying to get rid of a grey screen in Drudge and ran Malwarebytes and it uninstalled Advanced Systemcare and the driver updater.  No notice or asking me just they were gone and I had to figure out why.  What pirates.  I uninstalled Malwarebytes and I'd been a happy user for many years.  Creeps. 

• Like 2

I find it very hard to imagine that a software like malwarebytes could even have the permissions to uninstall anything without the user's interaction.

Uninstalling a program (and it's modules) and sending a suspect file to quarantine are two very different actions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I find it very hard to imagine that a software like malwarebytes could even have the permissions to uninstall anything without the user's interaction.

Uninstalling a program (and it's modules) and sending a suspect file to quarantine are two very different actions.

Try it. Or google Malwarebytes detecting / deleting Advanced System Care

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

Personally would not touch any IOBit products.

"What pirates"  well that would refer to IOBit. Almost 10 years ago IOBit was shown to be stealing Malwarebytes definitions and incorporating them in its own programs.

(Malwarebytes included a madeup 'definition' in their latest version and it appeared as an IOBit update a few days later)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

"What pirates"  well that would refer to IOBit. Almost 10 years ago IOBit was shown to be stealing Malwarebytes definitions and incorporating them in its own programs.

(Malwarebytes included a madeup 'definition' in their latest version and it appeared as an IOBit update a few days later)

So?  Does not change the fact that Malwarebytes has classified Advanced Systemcare as a PUP and deletes it. 

I realize trying to be a good Samaritan on Thai Visa is always a losing proposition but I'd thought I'd save someone else who had Systemcare disappear the trouble I went through to find out where it went.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

So?  Does not change the fact that Malwarebytes has classified Advanced Systemcare as a PUP and deletes it. 

I realize trying to be a good Samaritan on Thai Visa is always a losing proposition but I'd thought I'd save someone else who had Systemcare disappear the trouble I went through to find out where it went.  

Perfectly reasonable for Malwarebytes to class any IOBit as a PUP, but deleting without OK from user is out of order.

As for the 'good samaritan' comment I could claim to be doing the same pointing out the unethical nature of IOBit as a company.

22 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Perfectly reasonable for Malwarebytes to class any IOBit as a PUP, but deleting without OK from user is out of order.

As for the 'good samaritan' comment I could claim to be doing the same pointing out the unethical nature of IOBit as a company.

10 years?  You might be a little late eh? Besides updating virus files and wrongly classifying a program are two very different things.  An virus update can only help customers of both companies but classifying a good program as a PUP and deleting it with the rest of a hundred or so real PUP's is blatantly not in the customers interest.  And I don't see anything perfectly reasonable about it.  There are courts for legal recourse for stealing.  I could make a case that any program could be a PUP but not using even a grain of common sense.

Edited by marcusarelus

34 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Try it. Or google Malwarebytes detecting / deleting Advanced System Care

Ooops, you seem to be correct, while not actually uninstalling asc it removes enough to render useless.

Taking your advice and looking the issue up on the net, it looks like this has been going on since at least 2016. Seems very unprofessional that Malwarebytes has not addressed the issue that for the most part asc is not a potentially unwanted program. Perhaps it is in their algorithms that it does this??

5 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Ooops, you seem to be correct, while not actually uninstalling asc it removes enough to render useless.

Taking your advice and looking the issue up on the net, it looks like this has been going on since at least 2016. Seems very unprofessional that Malwarebytes has not addressed the issue that for the most part asc is not a potentially unwanted program. Perhaps it is in their algorithms that it does this??

I don't remember exactly what I did because I was angered and wanted to throw Malwarebytes off my computer.  But I loaded a new edition of Systemcare and ran a scan and pushed a button to fix.  Later when backtracking to find out where Advanced Systemcare was I reloaded it and ran another Mal scan but looked at the list of PUP's before doing anything and there were 10 entries for Systemcare products.   I was lucky I found it.  I could have done the same thing 10 times before I figured it out. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

I'm not advertising for them as Systemcare is free and the one I did pay for "Driver" totally messed up my Asus Laptop and it's taken me 4 days to fix it.   The wife was complaining it was too slow and I don't want to buy an SSD because she only uses it once a month. 

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm not advertising for them as Systemcare is free and the one I did pay for "Driver" totally messed up my Asus Laptop and it's taken me 4 days to fix it.   The wife was complaining it was too slow and I don't want to buy an SSD because she only uses it once a month. 

Advanced system care needs deleting entirely from your system....Driver Easy or any other form of secondry driver updates should be avoided at ALL costs....use Malawarebytes and CCleaner only :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

Advanced system care needs deleting entirely from your system....Driver Easy or any other form of secondry driver updates should be avoided at ALL costs....use Malawarebytes and CCleaner only :thumbsup:

No it doesn't.  It works fine.  I use Advanced Systemcare and a couple of things from their toolbox, the driver program works great on my Dell workstation and Aser PC along with CCleaner.  I don't think you are an expert.  Try it and find out. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

No it doesn't.  It works fine.  I use Advanced Systemcare and a couple of things from their toolbox, the driver program works great on my Dell workstation and Aser PC along with CCleaner.  I don't think you are an expert.  Try it and find out. 

I dumped it 4 years ago...never again :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I can understand that.  Your advice is 4 years old and mine is from today.  Which do you think is more accurate? 

If you like to install superflous programs rather than spending 680 baht on a solid state drive, that's your prerogative.

It's easy enough to add to the Exclusions list. No need to get your underwear twisted over it.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/pup-optional-advancedsystemcare/

Edited by JamJar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

If you like to install superflous programs rather than spending 680 baht on a solid state drive, that's your prerogative.

It's easy enough to add to the Exclusions list. No need to get your underwear twisted over it.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/pup-optional-advancedsystemcare/

Atta boy.  You are a typical Thai visa user.  Attack first and ask questions later.  My wife has giant computers at work and the latest cell phones and tablets at home.  But she wanted to try a touch version of Win 10.  So I bought her an Asus TP 301U.  She uses it 30 minutes a month on the average and it boots in 45 seconds.  With an SSD it would boot in 30 seconds.  Do you really think it would be a utilitarian investment to replace a hard drive that has been used for about 120 minutes with a new SSD drive to save 15 seconds a month? 

But thanks for answering by insulting me as it proves my point in another thread. 

How would you know systemcare is an superfluous program? 

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I use PCs since DOS and I never had a driver I had to pay for.  Just download the newest driver from the manufacturer - free.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Atta boy.  You are a typical Thai visa user.  Attack first and ask questions later.  My wife has giant computers at work and the latest cell phones and tablets at home.  But she wanted to try a touch version of Win 10.  So I bought her an Asus TP 301U.  She uses it 30 minutes a month on the average and it boots in 45 seconds.  With an SSD it would boot in 30 seconds.  Do you really think it would be a utilitarian investment to replace a hard drive that has been used for about 120 minutes with a new SSD drive to save 15 seconds a month? 

But thanks for answering by insulting me as it proves my point in another thread. 

How would you know systemcare is an superfluous program? 

I think your description applies to yourself. I already read about your Asus purchase before replying.

SSD isn't just about boot times and it would make a lot more difference than installing that silly program.

Remember that you were the one who posted that your wife complained that it was too slow.

Just another person who searches out 'a one click solution'.....

Edited by JamJar

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just looked up the "driver booster". Do you really need something like that?

It seems lots of people install all the time updates and extra programs to make their PCs better.

Personally I install the newest drivers when I setup a computer. And if there are any issues then I look for updates.

Otherwise: Don't touch a running system!

When everything works fine what's the point of continuously trying to optimize it?

Even if you would make it 10% faster, in daily usage you wouldn't recognize a difference.

It has updated 52 drivers since I bought the program.  I use some gaming stuff from Razor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX, Java and Adobe and some Intel things. 

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I can understand that.  Your advice is 4 years old and mine is from today.  Which do you think is more accurate? 

Ignore my advice...I,m sorry for trying to help in the first place....carry on in your own sweet way as you obviously know best....I,m surprised you even thought to consult us mere mortals on here initially :sad:

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I use PCs since DOS and I never had a driver I had to pay for.  Just download the newest driver from the manufacturer - free.

I don't pay for the drivers I pay for not having to search for the right one and download it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just looked up the "driver booster". Do you really need something like that?

It seems lots of people install all the time updates and extra programs to make their PCs better.

Personally I install the newest drivers when I setup a computer. And if there are any issues then I look for updates.

Otherwise: Don't touch a running system!

When everything works fine what's the point of continuously trying to optimize it?

Even if you would make it 10% faster, in daily usage you wouldn't recognize a difference.

You don't update Adobe or Java? 

4 minutes ago, petermik said:

Ignore my advice...I,m sorry for trying to help in the first place....carry on in your own sweet way as you obviously know best....I,m surprised you even thought to consult us mere mortals on here initially :sad:

I didn't consult with you, nor did I ask  for your advice.  I gave you some free advice as to what happens if you Advanced System care program disappears.  If you didn't want to know about it you have no reason to post except to criticize a poster (me) who was trying to do others a favor.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I think your description applies to yourself. I already read about your Asus purchase before replying.

SSD isn't just about boot times and it would make a lot more difference than installing that silly program.

Just another person who searches out 'a one click solution'.....

It is a no click solution to keeping my drivers up to date.  Every time something goes wrong usually the first advice given by the customer service department is make sure all of your programs are up to date.  Mine are.  Are yours? 

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't consult with you, nor did I ask  for your advice.  I gave you some free advice as to what happens if you Advanced System care program disappears.  If you didn't want to know about it you have no reason to post except to criticize a poster (me) who was trying to do others a favor.

You don't take criticism well, do you?

You try to defend against everything, even your own words.

Wife tells you laptop is slow, so instead of installing a solid state drive costing as little as 680 baht, you tell her that it isn't worth it and install Advanced System Care instead.

5555555 I guess you are always right in that relationship.

Maybe that's why she doesn't use it. Because of the crap performance.

Edited by JamJar

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It has updated 52 drivers since I bought the program.  I use some gaming stuff from Razor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX, Java and Adobe and some Intel things. 

And did it make any recognizable difference?

Or was/is the main function to make you feel good that you had 52 driver updates?

I didn't play 3D games for some time now but I remember from the time when I played that it was a good idea to update the graphic driver for a new demanding game. But that's about it.

My point is new drivers might be better under certain circumstances. They might fix bugs and they might make the system faster. But then, they might not do all those things. Instead they might make a perfectly running computer unstable. And if you let a 3rd party program install all the time new drivers then have fun finding out why that program, which you used only once last month, does not work anymore...