Chiang Mai has world’s worst air for fourth consecutive day

webfact

Chiang Mai has world’s worst air for fourth consecutive day

By The Nation

4aa9c4116639819442c7f773d584695c.jpeg

Chiang Mai for the fourth consecutive day ranked the world’s most air-polluted city, with an air quality index (AQI) score of 250 at 8.20am on airvisual.com.

Mae Hong Son meanwhile continued to battle multiple forest fires, and Lampang saw it Thammasat University campus suspended classes and office work from March 15-18 due to the severe haze.

c0aecae5f1f481c1a7411325c0c3fc4b.jpeg

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) reported that all nine northern provinces at 9am had unsafe levels of PM2.5 dust particulates (particles no larger than 2.5 micrometres in diameter, ranging from 76 to 203 micrograms per cubic metre of air. PM2.5  

The Thai safety limit for PM2.5 is 50 micrograms per cubic metre of air while the safety limit for AQI is 100. 

fa535e7790c993b6ae7f9c9a94ceea93.jpeg

The areas with unsafe PM2.5 levels included the tambons of Wiang Phang Kham (203mcg with a 312 AQI) in Mae Sai district; Ban Klang (140mcg with a 250 AQI) in Lamphun’s Muang district; Jong Kham (97mcg with a 172 AQI) in Mae Hong Son’s Muang district; Nai Wiang (177mcg with a 287 AQI) in Nan’s Muang district and Huai Kon (160mcg with a 283 AQI) in Chalem Phra Kiat district; Na Chak (126mcg with a 236 AQI) in Phrae’s Muang district; Ban Tom (137mcg with a 247 AQI) in Phayao’s Muang district; and Mae Pa (76mcg with a 164 AQI).

Unsafe levels were also experienced in tambons Chang Pheuk in Chiang Mai (150mcg with a 260 AQI), Suthep (85mcg with a 188 AQI) and Sri Phum (136mcg with a 246 AQI) in Muang district and Chang Kherng (87mcg with a 193 AQI) in Mae Chaem district. Also, in tambons Phra Baht (146mcg with a 256 AQI) in Lampang’s Muang district as well as Sop Pad (110mcg with a 220 AQI), Ban Dong (113mcg with a 231 AQI), Mae Mo (114 mcg with a 234 AQI) in Mae Mo district. 

23448f0795f38412886f608c6e06d463.png

In Mae Hong Son, where satellite image reports had cited more than 100 hot spots for several consecutive days, the latest report found 104 hot spots in the province – with the largest number clustered in Pai district at 43 hot spots followed by Pang Mapha district at 33 hot spots, which is a slight drop from the previous day’s 119 hot spots. 

The satellite image report as of 2.18am cited 561 hot spots in nine northern provinces – Mae Hong Son (104), Chiang Mai (137), Chiang Rai (36), Nan (43), Phayao (94), Phrae (33), Lampang (61), Lamphun (28) and Tak (25).

The haze inundated the region with poor visibility. It has now ravaged Mae Hong Son, especially its Doi Kongmu area, for two weeks and caused officials to dispatch fire engines to spray water throughout the city. State officials and volunteers continue daily to battle forest fires, most of which have reportedly stemmed from villagers lighting fires in the forests. About 60 per cent of the forest fires have occurred in beyond-reach steep mountainous areas and so continue to bellow smoke and strengthen the haze.

In Lampang, the Thammasat University campus suspended classes and stopped office work for March 15-18 as a precaution to ensure students and staff can protect their health. The university also suspended the use of outdoor fields and its stadium, said the deputy rector for litigation and administration, Professor Pairoj Kampusiri. The university also urged students and staff to wear face masks during this period.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365867

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-15

5 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

I'm sick of seeing photos of idiots spraying water in the air & afterwards they probably feel satisfied they've done their bit to solve this crisis!

A lot of people doing this in my neighbourhood. It does actually offer a bit of relief and cuts down additional dust from the street.

The thing is people are pretty powerless to alleviate the conditions and this is about the only thing they can do.

The responsibility for the atrocious levels of PM2.5 in the North (and to an apparently lesser extent in the Northeast) rests squarely with the junta. So far, it has done nothing of any consequence to deal with this very serious problem - a different story perhaps if BKK was exposed to similar extremely dangerous conditions.

52 minutes ago, cmsally said:

A lot of people doing this in my neighbourhood. It does actually offer a bit of relief and cuts down additional dust from the street.

The thing is people are pretty powerless to alleviate the conditions and this is about the only thing they can do.

There's a big difference between local residents trying to keep the dust down in their neighbourhood, & govt agencies using fire engines to spray water in the air for photo shoots to put on their facebook pages.  I'm talking about the latter.

Also, a rain shower does not reduce pm2.5 pollution.  That's from my own observation, with my pm2.5 sensor.

33 minutes ago, DNPBC0 said:

So far, it has done nothing of any consequence to deal with this very serious problem - a different story perhaps if BKK was exposed to similar extremely dangerous conditions.

I always wonder if the people who say things like this have bothered to look at Bangkok's air quality forecasts...?

2 hours ago, Happystance said:

I always wonder if the people who say things like this have bothered to look at Bangkok's air quality forecasts...?

Who cares about Bangkok Isaan or pattaya. Chiang mai is the world leader and thats an amazing stastic. I would worry about your own backyard before trying to make feel good comparisons.

Time to liquidate condos but probably to late.... the Chinese wont be stepping up and who can blame them

I have been here for 12 years. It seems to get worse each year. Why spray water over the moat? Seems like spraying water on the fire is best. They know where the fires are. Put them out. Are farmers burning off rice fields? If so, is there a better way? Pay the money and do it the better way. What is the plan?

In Chiang Mai, there are forest fires lit to reduce forest litter and promote mushroom growth.    Don't blame only the rice growers to the north.  Corn/maize is also a big crop and no-one has mentioned the pesticides in the smoke.

with a government that is incompetent as a prime minister and does not care about the good of his people, people, what more is wanted, he thinks only of appearing and making bad and bad weather, and very grumpy and surly, one cannot tell him anything gets angry, does not understand that it is enough to set in motion some things and this pollution ends, it is enough to make laws in the parliament with the great penalties of fines and prison to issue a ban on burning the plastic stubble scrub and rubbish, enacting laws that punish those who sets fire and burns without any respect, prohibits the throwing of plastic everywhere respecting the environment, prohibiting the rigging of pick-up machines motorcycle trucks remove the original mufflers polluting smoke from the machines to appear and with old vehicles without any control of the exhaust gases for years, there are no workshops that check the exhaust gases, very old vehicles without any license plate lights very many without license and helmet, in 2- 3-4 in motion in the pick-ups full of people in the back box and with people who drink until they no longer reason, if we don't try to stop all this by issuing strict laws by removing from the road unsuitable vehicles and people unfit to drive Thailand it will always get worse and the future will certainly not be better, this only a prime minister with balls and who cares about his people people can do something to impose strict laws and force people to respect them, start educating the new boys from schools generations of respecting the environment and themselves and their land for a better future for everyone, on television not the usual nonsense programs I have of the prime minister who does the shows I have other crap, serious things if you want to make sure that the Thailand has a safe and better future and health for all. But this will not happen, the first in the government believe themselves to be great and unique, but they are nothing there, a lot of people better than them in other countries smaller than Thailand and much more livable and safe, see the deaths of accidents every day a carnage, and the government does nothing, no respect, life here in Thailand is worthless at all, worse than that only the abyss, (sorry my english not perfect, I used translator )

same as all the other years i remember.  2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018...  YES

everyone gets sick, health problems for life, black lung, bad life... but in a few months they drink their beer at their bar and talk about something else.  thanks for playing!!  if you made bad choices in life, have no money, no options, then you can only live in smoke....    i've been there, got out, luckily

Just now, cmsally said:

I wonder what the situation would be if Bangkok was suffering the 6th consecutive day of AQI between 250-500?

I believe their levels were about 180 , when they started to freak out completely.

Yes but their response was totally inadequate to the point of intellectual rigor mortis.

Hence no area in Thailand will be proactive in dealing with the pollution.

They can't.That would mean that the Thai would actually DO SOMETHING which is not an activity specifically covered by any Constitutions-past or present.

All the various Constitutions have really encouraged is the vast production of hot air.

The Thai adore hot air.

44 minutes ago, puukao said:

everyone gets sick, health problems for life, black lung, bad life... but in a few months they drink their beer at their bar and talk about something else.  thanks for playing!!  if you made bad choices in life, have no money, no options, then you can only live in smoke....    i've been there, got out, luckily

I have been living in Chiang Mai 12 years full time.  I have been very happy here.  The pollution of the other years was also bad, but seemed to be getting better the last few years.  

But this year it's getting to the point of being unbearable for me.  I don't want to leave, as I like it here, can speak the language, love the food, and have built me life here.  But, this is really pushing me to make some plans for the future which don't include living here.  

20 hours ago, webfact said:

air quality index (AQI) score of 250 at 8.20am

Fear not! The folks in charge will issue a statement and form a committee to study the problem. Much rhetoric will ensue and men in nicely pressed uniforms will gather for a photo op. Soon the rainy season will come and clear the air and all will be forgotten. Most bullets can be dodged using simple pandering.

So today is day 5 or leading the world. Currently the AQI rating is 315, which is deemed hazardous. In fact it is so thick that not only can you not see the mountains but you cannot see the Chiang Mai Governor either.

It is going to be a challenge eating lunch at Tamarind Garden whilst wearing my pm2,5 mask! But at least the beers are cold.

There is a relatively simple solution to bring down the levels. Start severely punishing users of diesel trucks and cars who do not maintain their vehicles. They are horrific offenders. It is just a start. First warning, 1,000 baht fine and we impound your vehicle and prohibit renewal of your plates if you do not demonstrate that you have fixed the issue within 30 days. 2nd offense, 50,000 baht fine and confiscation of your vehicle for 180 days. This includes commercial trucks. Third offense and your vehicle is taken. No recourse. Gone baby gone. 

I have a friend living in CM. He has a PM meter. He told me yesterday was actually 420! That is dangerous air. Alot of people in the hospitals right now. 

Archived