Thailand looks to India for new wave of high spending senior citizen tourists

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

If there were ever a war, I would not want the Thais as allies. They would either accidentally shoot themselves in foot or shoot you in the back. Perhaps the tourism geniuses should visit Thai social media to see what their countrymen really think about the Indians.

I first came here during the Vietnam war and have witnessed many changes. Thailand is rapidly becoming less attractive to Western people.  Let me think...first it was the Russians, then the Chinese and now the great savior for Thai tourism in the Indians. What's next? The Nigerians perhaps? Few Thais want to admit that if it weren't for the huge influx of money by the American government  during the Vietnam era Thailand would look a lot like Cambodia and Laos today..

yes the americans did a lot to give thailand a leg up whether intentional or indirectly during the vietnam war and given this head start thailand should really be at singapore status by now but it is going downhill...

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

ASEAN is an economic block, nothing more.

The Queen owns all the land in NZ / Aus and has her face on the money. The Governor General oversees these lands on her behalf. The Union Flag is on those flags for a reason. 

They are still very much both British colonies, despite your protestations.

Vote to become a republic, and your argument may hold water.

You may want to start learning Mandarin though, should you choose that path, or consider emigrating back over to Europe before you become a hated minority in 'your own' country.

Father Fintan, lay off the whiskey mate and take some civic lessons regarding Australia and NZ, the Queen owns nothing in Oz  (may some interests in some stock and cattle stations), as for the currency well take a good look at who is on the currency, 

GG signs bills passed by the Houses of Parliament as the Queen is designated as Queen of Australia under the Acts brought in by the Whitlam Government

I could go on but too boring to correct your mistakes on this post.

21 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

If there were ever a war, I would not want the Thais as allies.

I dont know about that, our Marines (arguably the best "regular" infantrymen in the world) speak very highly of the Thai Marines. Back in the old days, Charlie was petrified of the Thai and Koreans, just like the Germans were petrified by the Senegalese in WWI and just like everyone is a skeered of the Ghurkas.

I was nailing this Hmong girl in AK and ended up at a Hmong-fest. Ill never forget the old Hmong guy still wearing his old junglies (well worn and patched up ones anyway) proudly showing me his CIA ID card and a picture of him holding two severed heads with a smile, Me Kill VC, Me good soldier. Met another Hmong or Mien guy like that too.

21 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

if it weren't for the huge influx of money by the American government  during the Vietnam era Thailand would look a lot like Cambodia and Laos today..

I have said time and time again that Americans are special in  Thailand. Those who pull the strings here are deeply tied to the USA. They know how much the USA paid to make them a real country. The regular folks just know that Americans are rich and friendly and like to spend money and that we basically made their nation what is is today. 

I lived in India for a couple of years. Some very wealthy people there. But they ain't likely to be much interested in Thailand IME. They can afford, and do, go to the premium places.

The Middle Class is growing, with more money to spend, but still not affluent by Western standards. And there's something in the Indian DNA that makes them cheap charlie's. Always trying to get a discount, or avoid paying. IME, Indians always prefer Indian food, look to pack hotel rooms to share the costs, and generally spend a little as possible whenever they can. Parsimonious and prudent they say!

So Thailand, if you think any Indian tourist sector is going to be big spending and a golden harvest, you're going to be disappointed!

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont know about that, our Marines (arguably the best "regular" infantrymen in the world) speak very highly of the Thai Marines. Back in the old days, Charlie was petrified of the Thai and Koreans, just like the Germans were petrified by the Senegalese in WWI and just like everyone is a skeered of the Ghurkas.

I was nailing this Hmong girl in AK and ended up at a Hmong-fest. Ill never forget the old Hmong guy still wearing his old junglies (well worn and patched up ones anyway) proudly showing me his CIA ID card and a picture of him holding two severed heads with a smile, Me Kill VC, Me good soldier. Met another Hmong or Mien guy like that too.

I have said time and time again that Americans are special in  Thailand. Those who pull the strings here are deeply tied to the USA. They know how much the USA paid to make them a real country. The regular folks just know that Americans are rich and friendly and like to spend money and that we basically made their nation what is is today. 

America made Thailand what it is today??

If you say so Walt, if you say so,

Why do the Thai,s always think that there are so many Millionairs in every Country in the  World that wish to come to Thailand ?

If I had that much money sloshing around, I certainly would not pick Thailand as a destination.

Bahamas, Monaco Maybe , but trashy Thailand - no way.

I wonder how long this will last for if they did come. I have heard horror stories (numerous) of bar girls worldwide being picked up by Indian nationals. Taken back to an apartment where there are about 5 men and then they all rape her. Most girls know not to go with Indian nationals due to this and will only do so if desperate for money. The girl take the money upfront from the guy that picks them up from the bar. The rest that stay back at the apartment do not pay they just rape.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The survey found that fewer Westerners are arriving in Thailand than ever before, while there was also a decline in working Westerner expats.  

Many expats had decided to leave Thailand, citing financial pressures due to rising costs of living.

True, Thailand has lost it's shine for quite a few.  However there are still plenty of things to attract ex-pats depending on what they look for out of life.  But where do the leaving ex-pats go to?  Back to their home countries or on to fresh fields?  It's an easy call for singles but if you have a Thai wife or husband then it is far more complicated.

On the other hand I find it amusing that TAT is out to attract older Indians.  Oh how the boot seems to be on the other foot these days. ????

34 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

And for your next fairy tale...

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

ASEAN is an economic block, nothing more.

The Queen owns all the land in NZ / Aus and has her face on the money. The Governor General oversees these lands on her behalf. The Union Flag is on those flags for a reason. 

They are still very much both British colonies, despite your protestations.

Vote to become a republic, and your argument may hold water.

You may want to start learning Mandarin though, should you choose that path, or consider emigrating back over to Europe before you become a hated minority in 'your own' country.

...before you become a hated minority in 'your own' country.

Hahaha... Europeans are already on that path. AUS/NZ just starting!

40 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

In real, we can say America made the entire world to be what it is today

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh they played the British at their own games and won each time, so never underestimate them as the Brits did many years ago 

I have a pet theory about India and the British East India Company. Maybe it was the Brits who brought the corrupt form of government to Asia. They seemed to let their colonies run all sorts of rackets.

"warm Thai hospitality and welcoming nature of the Thai people"

Obviously not been to Immigration yet - wait until they try to get an extension to their visa!

Ooops - sorry! "The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is targeting high spending senior citizens from India to make up the next wave of foreign tourists to visit Thailand.

4 minutes ago, ravip said:

In real, we can say America made the entire world to be what it is today

After WWII, yes. It was the French Revolution that really turned the boat in the west. Something that's still needed in many parts of Asia.

Courtesy link and quote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution

Inspired by liberal and radical ideas, the Revolution profoundly altered the course of modern history, triggering the global decline of absolute monarchies while replacing them with republics and liberal democracies.

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

True, Thailand has lost it's shine for quite a few.  However there are still plenty of things to attract ex-pats depending on what they look for out of life.  But where do the leaving ex-pats go to?  Back to their home countries or on to fresh fields?  It's an easy call for singles but if you have a Thai wife or husband then it is far more complicated.

On the other hand I find it amusing that TAT is out to attract older Indians.  Oh how the boot seems to be on the other foot these days. ????

Guess many expats who have Thai spouses and a Thai family here will go to Issan or the new Thai Eastern Economic Corridor behind the Chonburi Hills. Pattaya Beach will probably remain as the Entertainment Area and a recreational area for overstressed Bangkokians, while older Indians might prefer the Andaman Sea area around Phuket.

13 minutes ago, John Sutherland said:

I wonder how long this will last for if they did come. I have heard horror stories (numerous) of bar girls worldwide being picked up by Indian nationals. Taken back to an apartment where there are about 5 men and then they all rape her. Most girls know not to go with Indian nationals due to this and will only do so if desperate for money. The girl take the money upfront from the guy that picks them up from the bar. The rest that stay back at the apartment do not pay they just rape.

No doubt the girls will be aware of such goings on, it is not uncommon with Thai men either when it comes to gang rape.  Plenty of bad apples out there.  Like all nationalities Indians come in all varieties, from the street pick pockets to the surgeons working on the front line for Medicin San Frontiers. 

Also, like the Chinese, many young well educated Indians could teach many a westerner the way to behave.  You rarely find them in a gutter, drunk and peeing their pants.  We should all be wary of throwing stones when we live in glass houses!  

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

You rarely find them in a gutter, drunk and peeing their pants.  

From what I've understood from my Indian friends, availability of alcohol and party atmosphere isn't really great in India. Hence, no places to get properly pissed.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

After WWII, yes. It was the French Revolution that really turned the boat in the west. Something that's still needed in many parts of Asia.

Something that's still needed in many parts of Asia.

To be very frank, the curse of Asia is the colonisation of the British, Portuguese, Dutch etc. Due to the mess they created, Asia is still squirming in the dung, and will be so for a couple of more decades, maybe centuries!

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The French Revolution (and the American Revolution of 1776) also triggered Ho Chi Minh from  Vietnam - also an ASEAN country.

46 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Why do the Thai,s always think that there are so many Millionairs in every Country in the  World that wish to come to Thailand ?

If I had that much money sloshing around, I certainly would not pick Thailand as a destination.

Bahamas, Monaco Maybe , but trashy Thailand - no way.

Did you not see the key words here? "Tourist Authority of Thailand"? In other words, take everything you read with a pinch of salt! For example:-

“Apart from the various attractions, warm Thai hospitality and welcoming nature of the Thai people is one of the main reasons that makes Thailand a favourite holiday destination among senior travelers.”

"Various attractions" Be prepared to pay up to ten times more than Thais to visit them.

"warm Thai hospitality and welcoming nature" Obviously this does not include Immigration !

"a favourite holiday destination among senior travelers.” Except if you're from the UK, Australia ........... etc etc

And that's just from ONE sentence!

7 minutes ago, micmichd said:

The French Revolution (and the American Revolution of 1776) also triggered Ho Chi Minh from  Vietnam - also an ASEAN country.

Another invention screwed that one up - communism. Out of the frying pan into the fire. 

Archived