Thailand looks to India for new wave of high spending senior citizen tourists

snoop1130

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

I think anyone who tries to colonize the world will eventually be exposed whether it is the British Empire, the USA or currently China.

OR middle east Islam, (as in the case of Europe giving access with open borders)   No problem with holidays, education visiting relatives, visa and work permits,  but draw the line to colonise on an agenda.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Gaggan is a restaurant run by chef Gaggan Anand (Indian guy) in Bangkok, Thailand. In 2018, it comes top of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants for the fourth consecutive year in the list of The World's 50 Best Restaurants edited by Restaurant, ranking 7th overall worldwide serving ‘progressive Indian cuisine.  He has run for 10 years and opened other restaurants in Bangkok and is now moving to Japan.  I think the point is if one serves good Indian food it will work in Thailand.  I've seen Thai people in Indian restaurants all over Thailand. 

Gaggan has as much to do with the normal concept of Indian food as a biplane does with an F-22. It is high-end cuisine inspired by Indian flavors, spices, and smells. 

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

However, my wife absolutely refuses to enter an Indian restaurant. Describes the food as "kee kaek".

Took me a few years to get wife to eat Indian food. She likes most of it now, paneer is still something she won't touch. Takes a bit of training.

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

So Indians imo will travel here just for the cleanliness and the chill factor despite us seeing neither anymore. It's relative. 

I didn't understand while still living in Finland what the few Asian tourists were all about yapping about the cleanliness and how everything worked. It was normal every day to me. Now, having lived in Asia for more than a decade I can see very clearly why they were so excited. 

Thailand is pretty dirty these days, but for Indians it must look like a lily white puffy heaven with unicorns dancing on feather pillows.

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

My factual observations about Thais not liking Indians or Indian food are apparently racist though, 

That's because you're a white man. Anything you say is racist by default. Like "Have a nice day" - "Racist!" 

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Certainly correct, but most countries who colonised other nations did the same thing.

Indian civil servants perfected the "@corruption @" and continue to exploit not only foreigners   but also their own,no biases where gold is concerned

You could also argue that real corruption first needs some form of government. Brits brought that (somebody who knows about how they ever managed to develop their secret sauce for governing an empire is welcome to help here), the corruption might have been added on top by them or the colony natives. Probably both. Still, corrupt government is a tiny bit better than no government at all. 

The mess the former colonies are in is mostly their own work. SG, HK managed to thrive, others, started bickering with themselves and split into pieces.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

That's because you're a white man. Anything you say is racist by default. Like "Have a nice day" - "Racist!" 

My factual observation from All-India is that there is no such thing as an Indian race. I saw more white-skinned Indians than black-skinned Indians in the North when I was there in 1969, and there was an obvious language barrier between North and South India.

Does anyone have an idea what the Sanskrit word "varna" (colour) refers to in the background of a caste system? 

Last not least, does anyone have an idea how Buddhism came from India (or Nepal) to Thailand?

My factual observation from All-India is that there is no such thing as an Indian race. I saw more white-skinned Indians than black-skinned Indians in the North when I was there in 1969, and there was an obvious language barrier between North and South India.
Does anyone have an idea what the Sanskrit word "varna" (colour) refers to in the background of a caste system? 
Last not least, does anyone have an idea how Buddhism came from India (or Nepal) to Thailand?
Just wait a little bit. Soon the indians are flooding in. They can for sure answer all your questions.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

I like Indian food. However, my wife absolutely refuses to enter an Indian restaurant. Describes the food as "kee kaek".

For the linguistically challenged "Kee Kaek" stands for "Indian manure". Most of those proclaiming this kind of comments never ever even tried South Asian food which, I personally, love - be it from the Northern Indian States all the way down to Ceylonese cuisine with string hoppers and their lovely curries. 

The last chapter on the Indian tourism avalanche into Thailand is not even drafted yet and might fizzle away faster than what the boys down at TAT were dreaming up to ???? 

42 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

For the linguistically challenged "Kee Kaek" stands for "Indian manure". Most of those proclaiming this kind of comments never ever even tried South Asian food which, I personally, love - be it from the Northern Indian States all the way down to Ceylonese cuisine with string hoppers and their lovely curries. 

The last chapter on the Indian tourism avalanche into Thailand is not even drafted yet and might fizzle away faster than what the boys down at TAT were dreaming up to ???? 

Totally agree with everything you say.

However, the point of my post was that, although my wife has never tried Indian food, she still refers to it as kee kaek. That's the level of disdain Thais have for Indians.

However, in her defence, I have tried a couple of Indian restaurants in Pattaya and kee kaek wasn't far off the mark.

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

Thais are unequivocally racist. Others call it "xenophobic". Like many things in Thailand, you learn to live with it. When I first came to Thailand, I did pull my wife up when she made racist comments. Her comments on Cambodians, a people I love, are foul. I soon learned that I was banging my head on a brick wall. It just passes over me now.

Our observations on their racism, doesn't make us racists. I think? 555

I often find the sort of ethnocentrism that seems to permeate Thai culture even more striking than the xenophobia. Most Thais seem unshakable in their conviction that the Thai way of doing things is the best way and the only way. My usual reaction is to chalk this mentality off to both a lousy educational system and the fact that relatively few Thais have the opportunity to travel outside their country. Either way, such a combination of ignorance and arrogance is hard to take.

At the same moment, a unicorn came across and said hello to you... Wake up dude, you're in lalaland!!

White”Euro-Americans” can’t handle these statistics. Most Asians that arrive in USA work hard knowing that USA is still a land of opportunity; meanwhile, many 3rd...4th generation Americans are more interested in the Kardashian’s than substance.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I often find the sort of ethnocentrism that seems to permeate Thai culture even more striking than the xenophobia. Most Thais seem unshakable in their conviction that the Thai way of doing things is the best way and the only way. My usual reaction is to chalk this mentality off to both a lousy educational system and the fact that relatively few Thais have the opportunity to travel outside their country. Either way, such a combination of ignorance and arrogance is hard to take.
As you say it is hard to take. Some expat have to , some can leave and go somewhere else. Spidey is right about his racism observations. Unfortunately it is worse. You should hear and understand what they say behind our backs about the long nose western people. I know. Not because I speak Thai but I have a friend in Sweden who was adopted and grew up there. His father left the mother (normal) and she married this Swedish man. To cut the story short, Thai is his second mother tongue he told me be a lot how insulting words they are using about us in Thai. Of course with a big smile on their face. He was shocked and me too when he told me. He does not come to Thailand anymore as a result.

Many didnt like the Ruskies, then the Chinese came now Indians. Aren't the Russians looking good great compared to the latter two?
Same, same, different [emoji846][emoji16]

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

Many didnt like the Ruskies, then the Chinese came now Indians. Aren't the Russians looking good great compared to the latter two?

With Russkies came cheaper Russian Standard vodka, with Indians came good food, with Chinese..can't think of anything useful really. I'd rank them Indians-Russians-Chinese. Obviously all well behind EU (especially Germans and Scandinavians), US and Oz visitors. Brits .. meh.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

With Russkies came cheaper Russian Standard vodka, with Indians came good food, with Chinese..can't think of anything useful really. I'd rank them Indians-Russians-Chinese. Obviously all well behind EU (especially Germans and Scandinavians), US and Oz visitors. Brits .. meh.

Indian is last choice, by a huge margin.  If you have spent any amount of time in India, or in Indian neighborhoods of SE Asia, this will become obvious.

Just now, RoadWarrior371 said:

Indian is last choice, by a huge margin.  If you have spent any amount of time in India, or in Indian neighborhoods of SE Asia, this will become obvious.

I haven't and they seem to be easy enough to avoid here. Not the case with Chinese that are blocking the traffic with their buses. Russians were fairly easy to avoid too. I'll stick to my ranking.

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I didn't understand while still living in Finland what the few Asian tourists were all about yapping about the cleanliness and how everything worked. It was normal every day to me. Now, having lived in Asia for more than a decade I can see very clearly why they were so excited. 

Thailand is pretty dirty these days, but for Indians it must look like a lily white puffy heaven with unicorns dancing on feather pillows.

After living so long in such cleanly places, how on earth do you manage to live in these dirty, corrupt countries?

From dirt to cleanliness, I can understand.

But from cleanliness to dirt? Ones gotta be sick to the marrow.

Just now, ravip said:

After living so long in such cleanly places, how on earth do you manage to live in these dirty, corrupt countries?

It's easy. You build a fort and defend it from the natives. Something like Fort William, you know.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I haven't and they seem to be easy enough to avoid here. Not the case with Chinese that are blocking the traffic with their buses. Russians were fairly easy to avoid too. I'll stick to my ranking.

Ok, make sure you sanitize your hands after your welcome hugs and kisses.......????

" More people in India practice open defecation (44%) than use toilets connected to adequate waste management systems (40%). That’s more than half a billion people defecating in the open, oftentimes in festering pits that leach into sources of water. This leads to countless forms of disease, which impacts a person’s ability to grow, do their job, or go to school. "

On 3/18/2019 at 3:48 PM, onera1961 said:

Asians house hold income (80K) in America is more than Caucasians (60K). And Indian Americans are at the top of the list (120K) followed by Taiwanese Americans, Chinese Americans, Korean Americans, Singaporean Americans. See the trend? It is all asians. 21st century is Asian century. They will dominate the land of opportunity and in their native continents also.

That may be true but an Indian American household would generally encompass 2 or 3 generations of occupants.

How is that figure broken down per person versus an American Caucasian household ?

I suspect (and I could be wrong) that there are more occupants in the former thereby decreasing their disposable income

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

With Chinese came money....and with the Brits came manners ????

14 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

Just wait a little bit. Soon the indians are flooding in. They can for sure answer all your questions.

OK, I wait for eye-witnesses. Should be about 8,000 years old and been all over a country that probably didn't even exist 8,000 years ago. There are paintings and ancient books there, even in Germany where I come from - and there are Indian scientists. 

Archived