"I didn't know what to do!" - woman driver fined 500 baht for blocking ambulance

webfact

"I didn't know what to do!" - woman driver fined 500 baht for blocking ambulance

1pm_VI.jpg
Picture: Daily News

A Bangkok woman said she was all flustered and just didn't know what to do when an ambulance was blaring its horn trying to get past her. 

The driver of the ambulance was desperate to try and get to Bang Plee hospital as a woman was about to give birth in the back. 

But "Nam Oi" told Bang Plee police she had never experienced this situation before. Instead of moving over to let the emergency vehicle pass - standard procedure in most countries - she remained in the fast lane on Thepparak Raod just annoyingly braking on and off. 

She might have known the law; she is a sales rep for a major car dealership.

The video of the incident had received a lot of comment online. 

The cops listened to Nam Oi's excuse and fined her 500 baht after she turned herself in. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-19

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a pony excuse. How about just move out of the <deleted> way.

The fine is also pathetic and inadequate. Disqualification and at the very least some kind of driver improvement course needed. 

8 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Take away her licence as she appears to be unaware of the Highway Code.

Great idea ???? that should free up some space on the roads if "they" (the same folks who cannot enforce any other law) start taking licences from anyone that doesn't know their highway code ???? 

she might be in that situation one day and gets to see what its like, (being in an ambulance) and selfish drivers like her, failing to give way to an emergency vehicle, thick as two short planks if you ask me, she knew alright, just being the usual abnoxious, thai driver, who thinks they own the road

Anytime I hear a siren when driving I check my mirrors and surroundings to know where the sound is coming from. Sometimes you can quickly work out it's coming from the other side of the road so there's no need to worry. Other times you know it's coming from behind you so you best prepare to move out of the way so the emergency vehicle can get through easily. It's your responsibility as a driver and a decent person. 

This is called common sense and empathy. Empathy, or compassion, is supposed to be quite an important pillar within Buddhism. 

She's not an isolated case, most local drives 'taught how to drive' by a family member or a friend equally clueless to road's driving laws, the few hours they endure at the land department with the rest of the hurd to get the licence is nothing but a joke, hence the huge never ending fatalities and carnage on thai roads... 

I think the problem with the so-called driving test here is it doesn't filter out the drivers who are too nervous and who are likely to start panicking under any form of pressure. On their day these drivers can be just as much of a danger as the arrogant, reckless ones. There needs to be an actual part of the driving test that takes place on the public roads in the thick of the mayhem. Then and only then, if the applicant passes should a license be issued.  

21 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

she might be in that situation one day and gets to see what its like, (being in an ambulance) and selfish drivers like her, failing to give way to an emergency vehicle, thick as two short planks if you ask me, she knew alright, just being the usual abnoxious, thai driver, who thinks they own the road

I was in that situation less than two months ago, being in the ambulance as my wife was rushed to hospital. The closer we came to the hospital in the town centre, the less anyone would move out of the way, despite the siren.

Its certainly no excuse but I was in a similar situation few months back that made me think again about Thais ignoring ambulances.  In my situation I, and many others, pulled over when an ambulance with lights flashing and siren blaring loomed up in my rear vision mirror.  Five minutes down the road I caught up with the same ambulance parked outside a 7/11 with the crew sitting outside enjoying a cold drink and a smoke????

It can be difficult to get out of the way in a real heavy traffic jam but one should always to try to make a path through for an emergency vehicle. Quite clearly in this case, she could have moved over without a problem. 

The best way to teach this is to ask them to imagine that they are laying down in that ambulance injured or a close family member was dying. Would they move over then? What would they think of someone who didn't? 

it may be a cultural thing but when an emergency viehicle come up behind you fast its just logical to let them get passed you. they seem to have had cars for a while, seems like they would know about fire truck and ambulances. very strange attitude and education. i went and visited my sister in new jersey in the usa- an ambulance was coming and it was like moses parting the red sea lol. all the cars on both sides of the street pulled over.

24 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Its certainly no excuse but I was in a similar situation few months back that made me think again about Thais ignoring ambulances.  In my situation I, and many others, pulled over when an ambulance with lights flashing and siren blaring loomed up in my rear vision mirror.  Five minutes down the road I caught up with the same ambulance parked outside a 7/11 with the crew sitting outside enjoying a cold drink and a smoke????

Crew plus one maybe? ????

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

I kinda thought natural instinct would take over. Oh well......

Yes indeed Cereal , if I come through my gate on my bike or in the car our cats if in the way move over they don't walk ahead , instinct surely . This lady has gone blonde though ...........oh dear !

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

She didnt know what to do???? pathetic excuse, just get out of the way.

Another case of a very selfish driver not caring about others.

As a former emergency vehicle driver and instructor (fire brigade and police) I can recall countless times that motorists blocked my passage through.   

I can assure you that for the vast majority, they were not selfish drivers, but more so got themselves into a mad panic with all those flashing lights and blaring sirens suddenly approaching from behind.

I sympathize with this lady.

Archived