Direct Deposit of SS/Fed/Military Pensions into Bangkok Bank; IAT format

In anticipation of next year's visa extension, I'm planning on signing up for direct deposit.  The Bangkok Bank website states

"Effective from April 1, 2019, Bangkok Bank, New York branch will fully comply with the NACHA rules and will return all ACH received which do not comply with the IAT format."

Do SS and the other US govt agencies now use the IAT format?

More info here under "Advice to Bangkok Bank customers receiving payments from US government agencies or private organizations (Direct Deposit)"

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

Edited by Kelsall
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Alright, but did you check with Bangkok Bank if these ACH transfers are in the IAT format they'll require from next month on? If not, you might be in for a nasty surprise next month.

Yes, and that was my point in posting.  I'm one of the "others" (Non SS) and wanted to know if anyone knew.  I guess we'll all find out in April. 

If military pension,  go into your DFAS online website. If you don't have one open one. You can change your military direct deposit with a 15 to 20 day notice right on DFAS account. You'll notice under change direct deposit when you tell them BKK NY Bank it will show up with proper address and code. Just add your Direct Deposit Bank book number. After you push accept it will tell you how many days before it will be effective. They don't have to wait for copies of the bank forms you filled out for direct deposit bank account. SSA is different. You fill out and sign a vast number of forms that get sent to BKK Bank in Bangkok and then to NY branch and SSA. Takes 1 to 2 months to get in SSA system once they receive the forms from BKK bank. If your going to do it, don't delay.

Edited by Danthai
Typos
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Danthai said:

If military pension,  go into your DFAS online website. If you don't have one open one. You can change your military direct deposit with a 15 to 20 day notice right on DFAS account. You'll notice under change direct deposit when you tell them BKK NY Bank it will show up with proper address and code. Just add your Direct Deposit Bank book number. After you push accept it will tell you how many days before it will be effective. They don't have to wait for copies of the bank forms you filled out for direct deposit bank account. SSA is different. You fill out and sign a vast number of forms that get sent to BKK Bank in Bangkok and then to NY branch and SSA. Takes 1 to 2 months to get in SSA system once they receive the forms from BKK bank. If your going to do it, don't delay.

And the deposits will be in IAT format?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The SSA has been doing the transfers in the IAT format for some time now. From info posted about 80% of them going into NY are in the IAT format.

My guess is that on Feb 3rd onward we'll be hearing from the 20% who have not followed these threads and still have their SS payment going through BBK Bank NY in ACH format.  

• Confused 1

I have tried to change my address through SS Manila since Feb 6th. I wrote to BB and it still has not been done. The Manila SS Office is either asleep on the job or over whelmed with address changes. They do not reply back … except for an automatic reply that keeps telling me to give them 5 business days to reply. 

2 hours ago, Kelsall said:

I submitted a ticket to the DFAS customer service website moments ago asking for a clarification on whether ACH deposits sent to Bangkok Bank, NY are in IAT format.

It is an automated system, so as soon as I get a reply, I'll report back. 

With only about 9 days before deposits are to occur, there is not enough time to get a quick fix in place. But we may at least get a heads up as to whether the change has been made.  

For the record, my deposits are sent to my credit union. I have been sending amounts via online banking (using ACH) through Bangkok, NY.  This allowed me to control how much I wanted to send and when--so I could take advantage of exchange rates...

Edited by mosan
spelling
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Absolutely! To open a direct deposit account for gov pensions the BKK bank paperwork is only filled out for the required IAT format. All military change of direct deposits to BKK NY requested in DFAS account will show BKK NY and only show new coding. My CU will only use swift code within US so can't be used with BKK NY branch because they aren't a bank, just a clearing house. 

• Thanks 1

When you open a direct deposit account at BKK in Thailand they have all correct forms and know what to do. One additional thing, you must have a Thai address. All Thailand APO services for retired military ending 1 October 2019!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Yes, and that was my point in posting.  I'm one of the "others" (Non SS) and wanted to know if anyone knew.  I guess we'll all find out in April. 

If it's for any payments that you're already receiving via direct deposit, BKKB staff can check for you and advise you right now whether your particular payments are arriving IAT compatible or not.

If they're arriving IAT compatible, then you're good to go.

If they're NOT arriving IAT compatible, you may well have a problem come April 1.

BKKB NY is still talking about an April 1 cutoff date for older style, domestic ACH transfers going thru their branch. There's some talk of a possible extension of that cutoff date. But whether any such extension is going to happen in the next week or so, no one here knows...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Absolutely! To open a direct deposit account for gov pensions the BKK bank paperwork is only filled out for the required IAT format. All military change of direct deposits to BKK NY requested in DFAS account will show BKK NY and only show new coding. My CU will only use swift code within US so can't be used with BKK NY branch because they aren't a bank, just a clearing house. 

It's not just up to BKKB and how the paperwork is filled out at their end.

It's also up to the paying entity (pick your federal government agency) as to whether their payroll systems have been updated to allow them to fully do all of their monthly payments in the IAT required format. Remember, for most of their payees in the U.S., the whole IAT thing is irrelevant, since those are not international fund transfers.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's not just up to BKKB and how the paperwork is filled out at their end.

It's also up to the paying entity (pick your federal government agency) as to whether their payroll systems have been updated to allow them to fully do all of their monthly payments in the IAT required format. Remember, for most of their payees in the U.S., the whole IAT thing is irrelevant, since those are not international fund transfers.

And that is why I went to the source of our funds; Defense Finance Accounting System (DFAS). I'm not sure they are doing IAT format because they've never supported direct deposits to Thailand.  Sending funds to Bangkok Bank in NY is another animal because it's in the US and as such can participate in the ACH system. And as you say, Bangkok Bank forms do not control whether DFAS is coding in IAT format or not...and those forms only apply to Social Security, and maybe some other entities, as far as I know.

• Like 1

I think the changes have been out long enough that the federal government agencies that pay gov pensions are aware of the new requirements. The reason for changing was so the Give could monitor fir money laundering.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danthai said:

I think the changes have been out long enough that the federal government agencies that pay gov pensions are aware of the new requirements. The reason for changing was so the Give could monitor fir money laundering.

You're right about the changes being out for a long time, however, DFAS is not sending direct deposits to Thailand...

6 minutes ago, mosan said:

You're right about the changes being out for a long time, however, DFAS is not sending direct deposits to Thailand...

And from what I'm reading here, neither is Social Security fully sending all Thailand recipient payments as yet in IAT format. Some are still going to BKKB right now in the non-IAT format, based on member reports here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

My S S goes into BB in N Y C .......no problem.

I have already gone to my branch of B B here and got a print out, took it to Chiang Mai Immigration to be sure it meets the requirements.

I am not due to renew until July but didn’t want to wait to last minute and find out I have a problem.

you will be fine

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It has been discussed many times since time since Bangkok Bank first announced what is on the website last October.

The SSA has been doing the transfers in the IAT format for some time now. From info posted about 80% of them going into NY are in the IAT format. If you set it up now you need to sure your registered address for the SSA is for here and that the SF1199a direct deposit form s sent to Manila for processing.

In a few months their may be other banks offering SSA direct deposit since the they have approved IDD for Thailand but it is not know yet which banks.

The Military and others are not fully onboard for the IAT format as far as I know.

“The Military and others are not fully onboard for the IAT format as far as I know.”

They’re not I looked into this as an option back in December and I quickly dismissed it as a possible option.  So I just do mine over the phone by International wire transfer every month to SCB and it’s been going really well so far.  It’s only once a month on payday, no big deal.  

Edited by Jim7777

1 hour ago, mosan said:

Nope neither DFAS or the VA is on board I checked into it back in December you just have to do your International wire transfers manually every month on payday that’s what I’ve been doing.  I receive pensions from both the VA and DFAS.  I currently use SCB here in Thailand and Pentagon Federal Credit Union in the States which handles my International wire transfers very well every month, I do them manually over the phone every payday and so does Navy Federal Credit Union they process International wire transfers very well even better than PenFed does.  And PenFed charges a $30 dollar fee for International wire transfers and Navy Federal Credit Union only charges a $20 dollar fee per International wire transfer, which I hear is a lot cheaper than what most banks charge.  Someone told me that those fees are unusually low.  Well because they’re military Federal Credit Unions that’s why they’re cheaper.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

My S S goes into BB in N Y C .......no problem.

I have already gone to my branch of B B here and got a print out, took it to Chiang Mai Immigration to be sure it meets the requirements.

I am not due to renew until July but didn’t want to wait to last minute and find out I have a problem.

you will be fine

It looks like you're mixing up two entirely different, but related, things.

1. is whether your current SS direct deposit going thru BKKB NY is or isn't being done in the IAT format that's going to be required by BKKB NY starting April 1.

2. is what Thai Immigration wants to see as verification that the monthly SS payments you're receiving are in fact coming from outside Thailand and being deposited into a Thai bank account.

Whether or not a pension going thru BKKB NY right now is or is not IAT compliant has nothing to do with Immigration's foreign deposit requirements. However, IF your current Social Security is NOT IAT compliant, it's possible the payment itself could be blocked by BKKB NY starting April 1.

The main way to know is to check with the BKKB branch where your SS payment is being deposited and ask them to check whether the incoming SS payment going into your account is or is not IAT compliant.

The longstanding prior ACH transfers from BKKB NY to Thailand were coded by BKKB as incoming foreign transfers. The newer IAT method transfers via BKKB also will be coded as incoming foreign transfers. Thus both the original ACH method and now the newer IAT method both would be satisfactory to Immigration.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, mosan said:

Not sure where you get the idea DFAS is not sending military pension through NY to Direct deposit account in Thailand.I think you are mistaken, DFAS is the pay center for Retired military, If you have a military retirement they will send your retired military pay to a Bangkok Direct Deposit account through the BKK Bank NY with no problem. Started mine and first direct deposit was made BKK Bank NY within 15 days in time for Feb 1 payment since I changed it before middle of January. Second direct payment to BKK Bank NY from both military and SS came through on 3 March like clockwork. Made the DFAS change of direct deposit on line directly in my DFAS account. It shows up as foreign deposit showing the amount transferred and baht rate used. ( I am referring to retired military pension, not some other Government office or some other bank) 

They send out payments to retired military all over the world in many countries.

47 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Not sure where you get the idea DFAS is not sending military pension through NY to Direct deposit account in Thailand.I think you are mistaken, DFAS is the pay center for Retired military, If you have a military retirement they will send your retired military pay to a Bangkok Direct Deposit account through the BKK Bank NY with no problem. Started mine and first direct deposit was made BKK Bank NY within 15 days in time for Feb 1 payment since I changed it before middle of January. Second direct payment to BKK Bank NY from both military and SS came through on 3 March like clockwork. Made the DFAS change of direct deposit on line directly in my DFAS account. It shows up as foreign deposit showing the amount transferred and baht rate used. ( I am referring to retired military pension, not some other Government office or some other bank) 

They send out payments to retired military all over the world in many countries.

But have you checked with BKKB TH as to whether the DFAS payments they're receiving for you right now from the U.S. via BKKB NY are or are not being coded/arriving with the IAT format?

Right now, the old style ACH transfers going thru BKKB NY are going to arrive just fine. But after April 1, if your specific payments are NOT IAT compatible, it could be a major problem.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But have you checked with BKKB TH as to whether the DFAS payments they're receiving for you right now from the U.S. via BKKB NY are or are not being coded/arriving with the IAT format?

It easy to check by sending an email to the NY branch to this address [email protected] .

Ask if your transfers are arriving in the IAT format. Include account number, name, date of most recent transfer and the amount of it.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Danthai said:

You need to go back and read my post.  I did not say DFAS is not sending military pensions to NY. I said they were sending ACH deposits to Bangkok NY just like they can to any other bank located in the United States. You're confusing sending a deposit to a Bank located in the United States with sending a direct deposit to Thailand with no intermediate stops in between--which DFAS does not do.  And, yes they do send direct deposits to other countries, like the UK, Germany, etc., etc.  You're not follow the flow of the conversation. I suggest you go back and re-read a few of the previous posts...please!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mosan said:

You need to go back and read my post.  I did not say DFAS is not sending military pensions to NY. I said they were sending ACH deposits to Bangkok NY just like they can to any other bank located in the United States. You're confusing sending a deposit to a Bank located in the United States with sending a direct deposit to Thailand with no intermediate stops in between--which DFAS does not do.  And, yes they do send direct deposits to other countries, like the UK, Germany, etc., etc.  You're not follow the flow of the conversation. I suggest you go back and re-read a few of the previous posts...please!

Gee that's funny. Changed my DFAS military pension right on line by changing to Bangkok Bank NY and when you you type in Bangkok Bank NY, it comes up with the code for direct deposit to BKK Bank and BKK address in NY. Direct deposit account book showing deposits in the book as foreign deposit....Just what IO is asking to see. I was following the original question concerning Military Pensions and SSA. Addressed the way retired military can send their retired pay to BKK NY and on into their Direct Deposit BKK direct deposit bank book as foreign deposit. US Military paid by DFAS (Government office) and uses routing for BKK Bank as 026008691(for USA only) That is the same routing number on direct deposit applications filled out and used by BKK to open a Direct Deposit account for US military and SSA pensions. 

Edited by Danthai

Of,course, but original poster was asking about SSA and military pensions. That's exactly what I was addressing with my posts. Both have already changed their systems using 026008691 routing code. (new 9 digit routing, not, swift codes using letters.

33 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Gee that's funny. Changed my DFAS military pension right on line by changing to Bangkok Bank NY and when you you type in Bangkok Bank NY, it comes up with the code for direct deposit to BKK Bank and BKK address in NY. Direct deposit account book showing deposits in the book as foreign deposit....Just what IO is asking to see. I was following the original question concerning Military Pensions and SSA. Addressed the way retired military can send their retired pay to BKK NY and on into their Direct Deposit BKK direct deposit bank book as foreign deposit. US Military paid by DFAS (Government office) and uses routing for BKK Bank as 026008691(for USA only) That is the same routing number on direct deposit applications filled out and used by BKK to open a Direct Deposit account for US military and SSA pensions. 

I think you are still missing the primary point and the most important thing. The ACH routing number means nothing since is the same for all transfers going to Bangkok Bank New York.

This is what is important as shown on their website here. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

image.png.c31442c12ca5745a0edab79b89312036.png