Relocating to Isaan

kirkieb

Hi currently live in Pattaya for 7 years and had enough. Wife's parents aging so we are considering relocating to the family farm. About 70 kms North East of Kalasin. South of Suko nakon .  I need access to a hospital that can prescribe my drugs all covered by Aust Gvt. Also looking at the availability of High Speed Internet for various needs. Currently the Village Parents are in does have Internet but we want to relocate and just checking how forgiving is the internet in these areas?

Looking to start a conversation with any who have made the move and pros and cons.  Been there many times so know what Im getting myself into. Will build a one bedroom house on the family farm.

Cheers Kirky

• Like 1

147 kms from where we plan to locate. to Khon Kaen, Sukhon Nakon is about 1 hrs drive, Kalasin 1 hr, Somdet 30mins. Hoping to find a hopsital a bit closer to me although I only need go every 3 months or so. Thanks for your input.

Well you are going to be fairly isolated.

If you don't already, get your wife to teach you Isaan Lao, otherwise you will feel very isolated.

Khon Kaen is a mini BKK, but you are an hour away, so it's not like popping out to the store if you want something.

Noise! Yeah get used to that. Blood from the ears loud...weddings, funerals, mork ordination, music from 5am at ear shattering volume

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well you are going to be fairly isolated.

If you don't already, get your wife to teach you Isaan Lao, otherwise you will feel very isolated.

Khon Kaen is a mini BKK, but you are an hour away, so it's not like popping out to the store if you want something.

Noise! Yeah get used to that. Blood from the ears loud...weddings, funerals, mork ordination, music from 5am at ear shattering volume

It is sound differential that makes everything sound louder... if it is loud all the time, then the sound blends in more with the background.... If you don't have that -- every event is going to seem much louder.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cooked said:

Dunno, what's this "boring" word mean? Work around the house, looking after animals and yoursel, writing a book, plenty to do. If getting up early (which apparently means you can't get 8 hours sleep) is your main problem, then, yes, stay out of the rural parts of any country. 

Work around the house - that's why I employ servants

Looking after animals - ditto

And yourself - ditto

Pleasure is:

meals with friends (ie. other westerners or Thais who speak English)

reading

exercise of the horizontal jogging variety, with multiple fellow joggers

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1