Further inquiries needed on Songkran booze ban

webfact

22 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am still mystified sometimes by the rubbish that comes forth from these mouthpieces.

Last weekend there was a ban on selling alcohol because of the election, and what happened..........A man was arrested for defacing his ballot paper because he was out of his tree, and admitted to having been drinking since 5 pm on the Saturday........the whole time of the sales ban !!!!

Amazing, someone got drunk despite the ban, and in the mean time, someone killed someone despite the ban on murder and someone stole something despite the ban on theft, are you going to imply that these bans are pointless?

No booze and girls must dress modestly? How can they ruin the true meaning of Songkran? I just read girls must wear loose fitting rubber long dresses. Any truth to that?

What do all the TVers who fled "Nanny States" think? They will obviously leave, right?

The new Thai philosophy of life is Mai Sanuk?

On 3/29/2019 at 7:46 AM, madmitch said:

So, the punishment for selling booze without a licence is less that selling it if you have a licence!

looks like it.....same as some other fines....loud exhaust 1000 baht.....no insurance 600 baht or at the discretion of the B I B !!

• Like 1

I remember 6 years ago i was walking down sai mai road and there were about 20 kids completely pissed up with police making them do press ups hahaha... I started to laugh, police did not find it funny and threatened that i would join them.

But yes, no way in hell are people not going to drink. 7/11 - Tesco - big C - Tops etc etc might stop but I can buy alcohol 24 hours a day from a handful of shops right next to my house, AS IF THEY WILL STOP SELLING.

Even on religious days they still sell it, police are the first people who love a whisky too.

23 hours ago, worrab said:

How about, effective immediately, all Police go out patrolling and anyone caught drink driving, immediate 2 years in prison and car/bike is crushed!!

Because not only the lowly masses will be caught, but also a whole lot of high-status Puuyai.  High-status Puuyai can not be allow to be treated like the lowly little-people, so to keep from embarrassing the Puuyai and having police 'lose face', nothing that you suggested can be allowed to happen. TIT.

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Kill alcohol and you kill the festival. Only the prude and old farts stay home.  

"Old farts stay home?  <laughs and laughs and laughs>  You're 100% correct.  Guilty as charged.  Sonkran was fun as hell when I first got to Chiang Mai in 2007 at 55 years old - far from yet being an old fart.
At 67 I embrace my 'old fartiness' and accept my place as Chow Puu Sung Ayu, or nicely said in Thai - "another old fart".  Songkran is fantasitic for the young, young-at-heart, and those who have never experienced it.  After a decade - it wears thin.  I like Songkran in the village - life in the slow lane!

5 minutes ago, connda said:

"Old farts stay home?  <laughs and laughs and laughs>  You're 100% correct.  Guilty as charged.  Sonkran was fun as hell when I first got to Chiang Mai in 2007 at 55 years old - far from yet being an old fart.
At 67 I embrace my 'old fartiness' and accept my place as Chow Puu Sung Ayu, or nicely said in Thai - "another old fart".  Songkran is fantasitic for the young, young-at-heart, and those who have never experienced it.  After a decade - it wears thin.  I like Songkran in the village - life in the slow lane!

I still enjoy it after 25 years. Fun but need to be with people you like. 

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I believe you may have missed the point of my post. There was a sales ban on due to the election, yet people were still drinking..........and turning up to vote drunk. .....as you say purchased beforehand..........so...to re iterate.........what is the point of a ban on alcohol as people will still get access to it................. 

Quite right - I missed the point of your post as it was not clear what point you were making! 

However, having now explained it in more detail, I do agree with you, and also another poster who said that the ban should only apply to Thais, as "farangs" are not allowed to vote anyway, and the production of a passport would verify that fact. People who came here on holiday did probably not expect to have a booze ban on 2 consecutive weekends, and those who did will probably not be returning!

Also, it would be a good idea to let prospective holidaymakers know in advance of the "possible" booze bans on "Buddha" days - I say "possible" because nobody (including the BIB in my area) seems to know more than a couple of days in advance whether the bars will have to close or not! There again - TIT, and what applies in one place will not apply in another - no wonder gambling is prohibited (that is, apart from the National Lottery, that is!)  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Because not only the lowly masses will be caught, but also a whole lot of high-status Puuyai.  High-status Puuyai can not be allow to be treated like the lowly little-people, so to keep from embarrassing the Puuyai and having police 'lose face', nothing that you suggested can be allowed to happen. TIT.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...…….or perhaps not. Whether TIT or not, something has got to be done and lives have got to be saved no matter how cheap/poor they are thought of. And for the Puuyai, the jail term can go up to 4 years with a THB 50,000 fine as they can afford it and still crush the car. Make examples of them.

57 minutes ago, sambum said:

Quite right - I missed the point of your post as it was not clear what point you were making! 

However, having now explained it in more detail, I do agree with you, and also another poster who said that the ban should only apply to Thais, as "farangs" are not allowed to vote anyway, and the production of a passport would verify that fact. People who came here on holiday did probably not expect to have a booze ban on 2 consecutive weekends, and those who did will probably not be returning!

Also, it would be a good idea to let prospective holidaymakers know in advance of the "possible" booze bans on "Buddha" days - I say "possible" because nobody (including the BIB in my area) seems to know more than a couple of days in advance whether the bars will have to close or not! There again - TIT, and what applies in one place will not apply in another - no wonder gambling is prohibited (that is, apart from the National Lottery, that is!)  

Having re-read my original post I concur that my point was not as clear as it could have been...apologies.......plus your mention of bars closing, apart from Budhha days that are on most calendars the local plod will not commit themselves to a closure for something else until the last hour !!! sometimes 11 at night ...????

• Like 1

All just academic..as if anyone will listen to a booze ban, especially during that time. They can't even make the Mom & Pop shops comply with not selling 2-5 in the afternoon each day. The nanny squad will do their best but no-one will respect it.