Abhisit supporters' '1 in 3.9 million' is top-trending hashtag

snoop1130

Abhisit supporters' '1 in 3.9 million' is top-trending hashtag

By The Nation

bc98559061e4b96df4d25fa09320939a.jpeg

A hashtag, apparently from former Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva’s supporters, became the top-trending Twitter in Thailand on Friday.

TopTrendThai reported that the hashtag “1 in 3.9 million” (I’m one of 3.9 million votes) was the most used hashtag by Thai twitter users on Friday. 

The hashtag related to the number of popular votes the Democrat won in Sunday's election. 

The second to fourth ranked hashtags on Friday are also about the Democrats, which are #prachatipat in Thai language [Democrats], #Hua Jai Sri Fah [Blue at heart] to represent the party’s colour, and #Democrats [English language].

The top trending hashtag was interpreted to mean that the 3.9 million voters supported Abhisit’s political stance to not support General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s return to power as prime minister.

Abhisit declared before the election that he would neither support Prayut to continue his power after the election nor corrupted politicians. 

He resigned as party leader after the Democrats faced huge losses in Sunday’s poll.

Democrat Party members are now split between joining the Phalang Pracharat-led coalition government or become an independent opposition party.

Earlier on Friday, Parit Wacharasindhu, a new generation Democrat Party member, suggested his party should play a “constructive” opposition role in line with the party’s ideology rather than join any coalition government.

“As a party member and a representative of the 3.9 million popular votes we won, I think we need to be honest to our ideology,” Parit, who is a nephew of Abhisit, said in a Facebook Live interview with Suthichai Yoon.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30366796

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-29

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

In my opinion Abhisit is the straightest and best educated politician in Thailand,and I hope he does not completely throw in the towel. Many were disappointed however that when in power he did not pass any Farang friendly laws, as did one of his predecessors, the best ever Khun Anand Panyarachun ????

The straightest ????

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

In my opinion Abhisit is the straightest and best educated politician in Thailand,and I hope he does not completely throw in the towel. Many were disappointed however that when in power he did not pass any Farang friendly laws, as did one of his predecessors, the best ever Khun Anand Panyarachun ????

His electorate abandoned him and left his party in tattered. Apparently his straightness facade and education that kept him aloft count for nothing by his own supporters. 

As for Khun Anand, his only blemish was he was a non elected PM but credit him for keep the military at bay who tried to influence the government in order to gain financial benefits and in the drafting committee for the 1997 "Peoples' Constitution".