Digital Work Permit Experience - Wow

This is great stuff, and a step in the right direction. What I want to know is how is the rest of Thailand going to catch up? What happens when you want to:

Open a bank account

Apply for a driving license

Get a postpaid mobile phone contract

Access the services of a government department who require a copy of your work permit

How do any of these people who always ask for a copy of your work permit deal with it? Do they expect you to photocopy your phone, or can you download a pdf of the work permit?

If anyone has any experience of this, please let us know.

21 minutes ago, blackcab said:

This is great stuff, and a step in the right direction. What I want to know is how is the rest of Thailand going to catch up? What happens when you want to:

Open a bank account

Access the services of a government department who require a copy of your work permit

How do any of these people who always ask for a copy of your work permit deal with it? Do they expect you to photocopy your phone, or can you download a pdf of the work permit?

Yeah, one step at a time for Thailand, but a great start.  I already have a bank account, a driving license, and a post paid mobile phone so can't answer that.  But from the single window (web portal that combines BOI, immigration, and DoE) you can download a PDF of the digital WP.  Not sure whether showing your phone would work, but it's easy to get a pdf.  The PDF also has a QR code on it so maybe banks etc can scan that code.

I think this only applies to BOI companies at the moment but no doubt it will eventually permeate to everyone.

• Like 1

I should note also that all the submissions, supporting documents etc were all submitted online through the Single Window.  We never had to meet an officer or take a stack of paperwork anywhere (although there were still quite a lot of documents needed).

During my time off working here I was working in Singapore.  I thought their process to get an Employment Pass was pretty slick, but this was just as good and much quicker.  In Singapore though once you get your employment pass (a credit card sized thing) you are automatically enrolled for the auto gates at Changi.  So still room for improvement on that front here, but a massive leap forward nonetheless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, one step at a time for Thailand, but a great start. 

Did they also implant you with a microchip so your whereabouts could be digitally monitored at all times?

You may laugh now, but don't be too surprised if we don't hear something about that from Immigration somewhere down the road.  Just like the aborted tourist ID wristbands initiative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

But from the single window (web portal that combines BOI, immigration, and DoE) you can download a PDF of the digital WP.  Not sure whether showing your phone would work, but it's easy to get a pdf.  The PDF also has a QR code on it so maybe banks etc can scan that code.

That sounds just the job for those that still need the paper copies.

I really, really hope this is rolled out for the rest of those who apply for an extension of stay based on working for a company in Thailand.

55 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:
2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So, what's the job? ????

No particular reason (it is nothing mysterious) but I don't really want to put such personal information on here - it is not relevant to the thread.  Hope you understand.  

The experience of the digital system has been the same for all our employees who've used it, regardless of job title or position.

No particular reason (it is nothing mysterious) but I don't really want to put such personal information on here - it is not relevant to the thread.  Hope you understand.  

The experience of the digital system has been the same for all our employees who've used it, regardless of job title or position.
No worries, I just was curious in what field you or your company was operating. ;)

1 minute ago, ExpatDraco said:
7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

No worries, I just was curious in what field you or your company was operating. ????

Ok, no problem, we are in the field of Post Production and Visual Effects - I don't mind saying that.  ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, blackcab said:

Open a bank account

Most of those don't require a work permit but that aside, digital work permits are useless for them - they don't include your address, only that of your employer. 

And even when a work permit is required - some banks prefer it for certain types of accounts, they struggle to deal with the digital work permit as well. SCB had to call their head office to work out exactly what my DWP was ????

You can obtain a print out of your work permit - I got mine from my employer so now any time I need a copy I take it with me.